KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
List the bike, your country, state or province, city, your age, the insurance company name and finally what kind of coverage (minimal or full coverage) - enter the cost. Seeing big differences. Auggie mentioned it - include style of riding and ticket collection rate which has much weight. I'm an admitted scofflaw but never been caught at it.

I'll start -SDGT - USA, FL, Sebastian (village) 64 yrs, Progressive full coverage $127 every 6 months. GEICO wanted 5 times more so it pays to shop around ... don't fall in love with your insurance company, they don't love you back.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
List the bike, your country, state or province, city, your age, the insurance company name and finally what kind of coverage (minimal or full coverage) - enter the cost. Seeing big differences.

I'll start -SDGT - USA, FL, Sebastian (village) 64 yrs, Progressive full coverage $127 every 6 months. GEICO wanted 5 times more so it pays to shop around ... don't fall in love with your insurance company, they don't love you back.
Yep. I found the same discrepancy between Progressive and Geico. I have 2 dual sport bikes and boat insurance through Progressive and threw Geico to the curb once I compared rates. Friggin Geico was going to charge $140 per year for my dual sport with basic coverage. Progressive is still under $100. Same with 2 small fishing boats and dirt bike liability only policy. Dirt bike coverage is $60 year. Zero license restrictions or violations. You speed freaks probably pay higher premiums :LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ll play..

51 yrs
State Farm
08 ktm530 - 240 yr
06 ktm950sm - 250 yr

They have my other two cars and house too.

I’m thinking maybe shopping around again.. they don’t really have any ones back in the insurance game.

·
Registered
322 Posts
:cool:It pays to shop around,Kaw Versy 1000 ,Ktm 690 Duke,Kaw Ninja 400, No tickets,progressive liability&fire&theft,$70. yr for all three, state farm wanted $60-100 per bike,geico wanted $60 for 2 and $95 for the Ninja,crazy,I'm 63..(y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ll play..

51 yrs
State Farm
08 ktm530 - 240 yr
06 ktm950sm - 250 yr

They have my other two cars and house too.

I’m thinking maybe shopping around again.. they don’t really have any ones back in the insurance game.
66 two at fault accidents full coverage on three bikes 18 duke, 19 bmw f750gs, 19 gxs750s. 12 months 900.00 . Geico was the only insurance that would talk to me.

·
Registered
925 Posts
$300 annually with $500 ded full coverage 1290SDR, $240 k1600 gtl HOG/formost.

·
Registered
19' 1290 SAS
23 Posts
These are always interesting threads. One missing component is level of coverage - and a lot of that depends on if you are in a no-fault state and a huge factor is UI/UIM coverage,

I'm in N. Cal, with a 1290 SAS (19').

Full coverage with 500 deduct. Coverage is 500k CSL (required as we have an umbrella so those limits are required of there is a gap to the 1M.

I also keep 500k UI/UIM coverage - again have the same excess UI/UIM excess on the umbrella.

No tickets or at fault accidents. Old dude but not official retirement age yet. Basically 1,100 / year. If I dropped the UI/UIM it would take it down to 650/year and if I reduced the liability to say 100/300 I could knock another couple hundred bucks off - to say 450/year.

So it's important to remember what you buy - i.e., limits of liability and excess/UI/UIM.

Most folks figure umbrellas cover everything - however UI/UIM is almost always excluded or very very low - so check what you buy. Out here in California the state min for insurance is 15k - YIKES! A guy a few years ago totaled one of our new cars - he had 25k. Glad I had the excess - nobody hurt - but could have been different.

Every State is a little different, some are virtually identical. I carry all I can afford - in general.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Location, i'm sure has much to do with prices. Illinois has to have ui/ium but $10k is standard(minimum). when the atv popped out onto the road and busted my frame, good kids helped me get my bike up before they left, but they were unlicensed, uninsured and left the scene and my ins co cut me a check for $13,400 ? I would have thought the ins co to only pay out the uim $10k. IDK

·
Registered
21 Posts
$68/ month for liability and uninsured on a 2005 DL1000 and a 1997 TL1000S, and full coverage w/500 deductible on 2015 1290 SA. We use Progressive through USAA. I could get a little cheaper elsewhere, but with all our other policies ( home and 3 autos ) through USAA, it comes out a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
119 Posts
These are for single motorcycle values for Geico. These are for 12 month terms, full coverage, $500 deductibles. Insured in the Kansas City Metro Area.

2016 SDGT - $450 actual
2020 SDR - $1300 quoted
2020 890R - $1200 quoted
2019 690 SMC R - $400 actual

Seems to me that Geico classifies the SDGT as a 'Touring' motorcycle which explains the overall lesser cost for premiums. Which is great for SDGT owners since it's practically an SDR with bags. While the SDR and 890R are clearly classified as sportbikes. I imagine the SMC R is classified as a dual-sport which is also great for me since it's more sport than anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts