KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

“…..Once again, the KTM blasts out of the gate on the torque graph until it hits its early redline. The Kawasaki and its supercharged engine give a plateau-like torque curve, while the Aprilia, Triumph, and Ducati all remain close together in the streetable regions of the rpm range.”

This 1290 engine is something special …….

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The streetfighter is the new kid on the block so will get the win. I can't use a bike with a 90 mile tank range no matter how fun or cool.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The streetfighter is the new kid on the block so will get the win. I can't use a bike with a 90 mile tank range no matter how fun or cool.
What, like the SDR has an amazing tank range does it? I get about 110 to 120mi to a tank. 120 is s stretch for me. 90mi is a little poor, but really not that far off what I get on anything else to be honest.

Every motorcycle I've owned has had a ~120mi range, I think I have a hidden talent for picking them. 😂

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is what I love about the SDR! My 2008 KTM 300 XCW was a torque monster, my old '74 GMC truck with a 454 had loads of torque down low. I built a Honda ATC110 back in the day into a 180 on alcohol, another torque monster (in its day and category). I rode a great ride yesterday with lots of curves. I was in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear, stock 17/38 gearing. I usually ride in the 4000-6000 rpm range, especially in the twisties. Have I sampled the upper regions of the Super Duke's rev band? Absolutely. But I find I'm always in this 4-6000 rpm band. Every time I ride my Gen3, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do not want a screamer!
I used to think that way until I started buying them, now I'm addicted. When it comes to choosing which bike to ride, my Gixxer 1K wins over my SDR about 80% of the time. I love the stump pulling torque of the SDR, but thrive on the warp factor 1 power band of the Gixxer, which at WOT is always a terrifying joy. I can only imagine what one of those new V4's would be like.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well I dunno, a Gixxer would come second to my wife’s mums taxi! 🤣 😉 Just kidding. I know exactly what you mean though. My ZX-10R I only ride on track now, but it is a very different beast to the SDR. I need to try the SDR at the track next season, just for fun…

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well I dunno, a Gixxer would come second to my wife’s mums taxi! 🤣 😉 Just kidding. I know exactly what you mean though. My ZX-10R I only ride on track now, but it is a very different beast to the SDR. I need to try the SDR at the track next season, just for fun…
I did a track day last Saturday. 1290R is bloody awesome. tore up the S22's tho, sure gave them a work out. Just ordered a set of Conti Sport Attack 4's. More expensive but looking forward to the change. (PS still have a set of S22's on the shelf)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to make things more exact , high pitch sounds irritate me (I'm a 65 year old guy) like small children, screaming women (high childlike pitch) and high-revving engines. I like a little lower pitch with women - like Natalie Stutzmann is nice, a more mature. A car engine like a large capacity V8 at low revs is great - like a scania v8. Some locomotive engines too. A Harley engine is nice at low revs! I once said if KTM sdr would idle at 700 rpms and have torque charasteristics like Harleys have - it would be perfect! Harleys are too heavy for me, I have a principle to be able to deadlift the weight of my bike and I have lost a lot of my former strength (I didn't go to gym for 24 years because I noticed I was addicted to that). Maybe I have to go to a bike that has less weight in the future (but started going to gym again some time ago to prevent muscle atrophy going too far).

Now, the electric cars and motorcycles are coming and it seems if they have any sound it would be forcing (with their high pitch) me to walk!

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I find interesting is the torque numbers at the rear wheel seem high when accounting for driveline loss - I’m assuming 15% ? Perhaps it’s less for motorcycles.

“Maximum torque: 103 ft-lbs @ 8000 rpm.” At the crank.

They measured 98 ft-lbs at the rear wheel - impressive!

At least the same dyno was used in all the bike to give a relative perspective.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to think that way until I started buying them, now I'm addicted. When it comes to choosing which bike to ride, my Gixxer 1K wins over my SDR about 80% of the time. I love the stump pulling torque of the SDR, but thrive on the warp factor 1 power band of the Gixxer, which at WOT is always a terrifying joy. I can only imagine what one of those new V4's would be like.
The GSXR1000 is a very nice bike and good for you if it suits your riding style. I’ve owned those super smooth fours that rev into oblivion- again if you are into it. I want my torque “now” …in a comfortable capable package.

I will point out that the Superduke r puts out more torque at 4000rpm than the GSXR1000 at its peak torque…..at 11,000 rpm …… that’s a huge difference for real world street riding.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What, like the SDR has an amazing tank range does it? I get about 110 to 120mi to a tank. 120 is s stretch for me. 90mi is a little poor, but really not that far off what I get on anything else to be honest.

Every motorcycle I've owned has had a ~120mi range, I think I have a hidden talent for picking them. 😂
Yea, I can rag the hell out of my bike fot the first 100 or so and put it into 6th gear and nurse it another 20 to the station.another 30 miles may mean nothing to you city dwellers but I need it

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just enjoy listening to bike videos and listen to opinions as different people like different things, and it may just introduce me to an area of riding I hadn't previously considered.

Yet, strangely and predictably enough, the superlatives used to describe how crazysauce powerful a motorcycle is tends to win me over the most. And the Superduke sure won over some journalist hearts, even if it isn't the fastest lapper on track.

For example, the big guy at MCN pointed out that he felt the gen 1 engine was agricultural.

And that doesn't sound too positive, but having never ridden it and owning the gen 2, I actually kinda agree. It is kind of an agricultural powerplant, made sophisticated by fantastic lekkies. And I love it, because the V-twin is like a 1950's farmland tractor. Simple, rowdy, and massively powerful. Like rip an 80-ton 300 year old sequoia out of a hill and drag it across a mountain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts