KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Menso~ Your wordsmithing creates fantastic images. Not to mention, since I do own an O.G. /Gen1, it can definitely win a tractor pull (especially since the v1 electronics are either on or off). :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yea, I can rag the hell out of my bike fot the first 100 or so and put it into 6th gear and nurse it another 20 to the station.another 30 miles may mean nothing to you city dwellers but I need it
I’m no city dweller and I don’t NEED the extra 10-20 miles. It’s the difference between 1 hour on the bike, vs 1hr and 10 minutes….. Or something like that… Out where I live, the gas stations are no more than 1 hour apart….

I’ve only ever ran out of gas once, embarrsingly… (That was recent and not on the KTM!) Ooops!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I’m no city dweller and I don’t NEED the extra 10-20 miles. It’s the difference between 1 hour on the bike, vs 1hr and 10 minutes….. Or something like that… Out where I live, the gas stations are no more than 1 hour apart….

I’ve only ever ran out of gas once, embarrsingly… (That was recent and not on the KTM!) Ooops!
A lot of the roads/rides i do, it can be 220-260 kms between gas stations. Haven't run dry on the 1290 yet, but ran my ex Tuono V4 dry 4 times, and my MV 800 dry twice. Both ran out around 175kms. My fuel light comes on on the 1290 at around 220kms, and reserve get around another 60 kms.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts

Half your luck @Trebor27 We have plenty of fuel stations locally, and some small regional towns even have two. I can stretch my new Aprilia Tuono Factory to 200 kms (125 miles) if I am very careful from the outset, just don't ask it to go 220kms (135 miles). Constant fuel stops are fine when I am out for a day by myself, but fuel range gets to be a consideration when a group HAS to stop because one bike has a restricted range. When in doubt, or in company, or on bigger days (say 600 kms - 800kms plus) I take my SDGT with it's 23 liters of luxury range aboard.

Theoretically I could tour on the Aprilia, but I would have to stop in pretty much every town to fuel, and over an 800 km day that adds up to a lot of time stationary. Horses for courses I guess. I love both bikes, but I use them for different riding.

Reactions: Trebor27

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's nice to see the superduke get such high reviews since that's the direction I went heh. I'm super happy...very evolved since my Gen 1. I just got my gen3 but I think many years of happiness coming. I'm street only and live the torque on tap just at lower rpm. Let you know how I feel once breaking is over for higher rpms :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
And while the Superduke isn't that well equipped in the suspension and frame department when hunting lap times, I still had a ton of fun last time I was out. This day was sadly cut short due to noise violations, but I'm dying to go back now that I have the Track Pack unlocked. That means Track throttle settings, launch control, and the quickshifter.

You'd have to be dead inside to not enjoy a day out on that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Theoretically I could tour on the Aprilia, but I would have to stop in pretty much every town to fuel, and over an 800 km day that adds up to a lot of time stationary. Horses for courses I guess. I love both bikes, but I use them for different riding.
I hear you! None of the super nakeds would be my 1st choice to tour on, and if I was going touring I would expect plenty of stops in between. 🤣

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I do regular 400 mile saturdays on my 2016 and twice a year i'll ride to the smokeys and do 16-1800 in 3 days. Softening the suspension settings and the powerparts seat make the gen 1 sdr manageable, and again 6th gear at 85 mph on the hwy gets better range than my k1600gtl with its 7.7 gal tank at the same speed!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts