KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, looking for some help. I saw a 2010 ktm 530 which is in a pretty good condition which i will soon be buying as soon as my mechanic gives me the go ahead but im just no too sure about the hours it has which is currently with 270 hours. I think the piston and rings have also been changed a few months ago. Should i worry about the hours of use?

Thanks in Advamce.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Check the countershaft spline where the sprocket bolts on (if you can) 270 hours on dirt is ok if it's had regular servicing/valve checks ect. On bitumen that's pretty high if the bike hasn't been running a cush drive in the rear wheel. The 530's did have an oil integration issue and there was a mod to fix it. Would be good to know if that has been done.
You may end up with small issues like worn slides and seals in the carby, keep an eye on the timing chain tensioner ect, but usually those engines will do a fair few hours.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum btw(y)

·
Registered
566 Posts
That makes approx 30 hours/year. Equals 6 days of riding for 5 hours/day in a year. So that would make a total of 54 days of riding 6 hours a day in the bikes lifetime. The question is really what type of riding and how well was the bike maintained and by who? (someone who knew what he/she was doing or someone with no idea). 270 hours on a bike from 2010, if it was a road bike, would be nothing (270 hours at 100Km/h would mean that such a road bike would have done max 27,000Km... Only just run in! ).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the countershaft spline where the sprocket bolts on (if you can) 270 hours on dirt is ok if it's had regular servicing/valve checks ect. On bitumen that's pretty high if the bike hasn't been running a cush drive in the rear wheel. The 530's did have an oil integration issue and there was a mod to fix it. Would be good to know if that has been done.
You may end up with small issues like worn slides and seals in the carby, keep an eye on the timing chain tensioner ect, but usually those engines will do a fair few hours.
Hi dw and thanks for your feedback 🙂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes approx 30 hours/year. Equals 6 days of riding for 5 hours/day in a year. So that would make a total of 54 days of riding 6 hours a day in the bikes lifetime. The question is really what type of riding and how well was the bike maintained and by who? (someone who knew what he/she was doing or someone with no idea). 270 hours on a bike from 2010, if it was a road bike, would be nothing (270 hours at 100Km/h would mean that such a road bike would have done max 27,000Km... Only just run in! ).
Hey Axzon, thanks for your reply mate. The bike was kept in pretty good condition by the previous owner, he is a freak when it comes to motards. The bike has 10,000km on the clock and this has been used solely on the road. Front shocks were also upgraded to marzochi instead of the standard WP. Ill leave a pic for you guys here. Got it today. Man i love itt :D
Screenshot_20190831_134256_com.facebook.katana.jpg

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Nice bike wiz. I love supermotards.

I can't blow up the picture properly to see the rear wheel, but if your doing a lot of Tarmac I would seriously consider a cush drive rear if it hasn't got one. The harmonics on bitumen are to hard on the gears. This is why road bikes have cush drive rear wheels.

Enjoy your new ktm!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
DW
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing