KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that coming from the FZ09 this SDR is a whole different beast. But what I don’t understand is how it feels somehow more slow...it most definitely is not though. On the freeway I feel like I’m doing 65 and I look down to see 95mph. I give it some juice in third and it lifts the front tire up, something my last bike could only do in first.
So I don’t get it, why did my fz09 feel like I had to hang on for dear life while getting in the freeway, but this SDR doesn’t? Is it the nice seat keeping me locked in?
I’m in the break-in period so I try not to go past 6.5k really, but I did wind it up till about 8.5k today. She def has some serious power, but not exactly what I was expecting. Do I just need to ride it harder to experience what that arm ripping power? When the break in is over of course.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try switching off the MTC.

Reactions: BayAreaRider

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Super Duke is happy to do what you want, if you want to put around
it will also But if you get aggressive with the throttle it comes alive your
FZ09 only had attack mode. Once you get some miles on it whack the
throttle open hard and you will have to hang for dear life more than you
ever had to with the FZ09.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on. I’ve got another question - the salesman told me oil consumption is normal during break in, but he didn’t say what to fill it with. I assume 10w-50?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd guess there are a couple of variables here. One is that the suspension is significantly better so the bike feels more stable. And it could be that the Duke has better wind protection despite there appearing to be none. Lastly, gearing, if all else fails drop a tooth on the countershaft.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Word. I can’t wait to put it against my step dads FZ1. Scared the heck out of me looking down to see 100 yesterday, not realizing it. I think he’s going to have a race when I can get this thing broken in.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
151 Posts
I changed my oil at 600mi and coming up on 5,000mi, no perceived oil consumption to note....'19 SDGT.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No oil consumption for me either. I have 4,832 miles on mine, and just did its 2nd oil change over the weekend as part of installing the FactoryPro shiftkit. The oil level has always stayed where it needs to

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that’s good to hear. The salesman tech told me to add oil as needed and check every ride because it’ll burn some. I thought that was strange. Will be keeping my eye on it anyhow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's the progressive throttle. It doesn't have the pent-up, just-under-the-surface urgency that is typical of most KTMs on light throttle openings. All the ferocity is there but you have to dig deeper into the throttle than is instinctive to get it which can make the bike feels like it's hanging back.

When I was about 5,000 miles into mine I was out riding with three mates and I'd been thinking the bike maybe wasn't running right. I was at the back when the others overtook a string of cars. I didn't have time to make their gap so had to wait my next chance. When it came I cracked the throttle and tore off in pursuit and up came the front wheel in fourth the instant the rev needle swung past 7K. I thought, hmm, maybe there's not much wrong with this after all.
I don't like that throttle though, and I'm determined to get it mapped out. I don't mind the rawness and the vibes. That's KTMs for you. And I can forgive the rear shock's tendency to squat and cause wallowing. It doesn't slow me down, I just get over it by riding differently. But i really don't like that neutered throttle so it's going to get trimmed out.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My 1290Gt has never used any oil...... the salesman is a tosser! Don't baby that engine..... it likes to be over 4k rpm and just loves 7-9k rpm....:D.

Oh, and the FZ09 (is that the 3cyl we call an MT09?) probably only makes 80-90Hp at the rear wheel, the SDR puts 150Hp into the tar........

(y)

PS @Gimlet ....... the 2020SDR addressed that squatting tendency.... it has a higher swingarm mount and raised motor..... among hundreds of changes, so if BayAreaRider bought the newboy he shouldn't notice any wallowing when he gives it full gas......:devilish:

It may feel slower, but it definitely isn't...... and the brain may take a while to catch up when BAR first opens that throttle hard.......

·
Registered
317 Posts
My $.02 on why it doesn’t feel as fast.

You are in the break in period and trying to keep it under 6.5k rpm.

Bike needs to be at least at 5k rpm when you crack the throttle wide open and run her up to red line, if you want to feel that rip your arms off sensation.

I always cruised on my SDGT at 4500 or higher, and over 5k when I knew I wanted to accelerate hard or make maneuvers in traffic.

I know you don’t want to rag on it during break-in, but if you are comfortable doing this once give it a shot.
Find a straight on a 2 lane country road with no incoming roads.
Start at 50-55 mph hour in 3rd gear, roll on quickly but smoothly, WOT if you’re feeling it.
Run it up close to redline, shifting through 4th and 5th near redline.

Then you’ll know what she likes if you want to feel the wild, pants on fire acceleration.
Just make sure no cops around, because you’ll be going go to jail speeds.

When I wrecked my SDGT, I rode it home in limp mode with no right peg or rear brake pedal.
I still went 80-85 down the freeway (and would have gone faster), just couldn’t accelerate hard because of the rpm restriction.

I came off a Honda 919, -1 front sprocket (pretty similar to an FZ09 in power delivery).
And I felt the same way as you when I first got my SDGT, even posted about it (similar to your post) when I first joined the forum.
Once I figured out what she liked though, it was no comparison.

I ride an MT-10 now (decat and ECU flash), below 5k rpm it feels quicker (and I think it is) than my SDGT.
But 5k-8/9k rpm the SDGT pulled harder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the progressive throttle. It doesn't have the pent-up, just-under-the-surface urgency that is typical of most KTMs on light throttle openings. All the ferocity is there but you have to dig deeper into the throttle than is instinctive to get it which can make the bike feels like it's hanging back.

When I was about 5,000 miles into mine I was out riding with three mates and I'd been thinking the bike maybe wasn't running right. I was at the back when the others overtook a string of cars. I didn't have time to make their gap so had to wait my next chance. When it came I cracked the throttle and tore off in pursuit and up came the front wheel in fourth the instant the rev needle swung past 7K. I thought, hmm, maybe there's not much wrong with this after all.
I don't like that throttle though, and I'm determined to get it mapped out. I don't mind the rawness and the vibes. That's KTMs for you. And I can forgive the rear shock's tendency to squat and cause wallowing. It doesn't slow me down, I just get over it by riding differently. But i really don't like that neutered throttle so it's going to get trimmed out.
Ok, I think you are completely right. It’s the throttle map. That and the fact that I think there’s more twist in this throttle than my Yami, so I’ve got to dig deeper. Just not used to it.
My 1290Gt has never used any oil...... the salesman is a tosser! Don't baby that engine..... it likes to be over 4k rpm and just loves 7-9k rpm....:D.

Oh, and the FZ09 (is that the 3cyl we call an MT09?) probably only makes 80-90Hp at the rear wheel, the SDR puts 150Hp into the tar........

(y)

PS @Gimlet ....... the 2020SDR addressed that squatting tendency.... it has a higher swingarm mount and raised motor..... among hundreds of changes, so if BayAreaRider bought the newboy he shouldn't notice any wallowing when he gives it full gas......:devilish:

It may feel slower, but it definitely isn't...... and the brain may take a while to catch up when BAR first opens that throttle hard.......
Ha, a tosser indeed! Oh yeah, I think you’re right. I gave her a good punch today in third in the freeway and was very surprised. Feeling good now!

My $.02 on why it doesn’t feel as fast.

You are in the break in period and trying to keep it under 6.5k rpm.

Bike needs to be at least at 5k rpm when you crack the throttle wide open and run her up to red line, if you want to feel that rip your arms off sensation.

I always cruised on my SDGT at 4500 or higher, and over 5k when I knew I wanted to accelerate hard or make maneuvers in traffic.

I know you don’t want to rag on it during break-in, but if you are comfortable doing this once give it a shot.
Find a straight on a 2 lane country road with no incoming roads.
Start at 50-55 mph hour in 3rd gear, roll on quickly but smoothly, WOT if you’re feeling it.
Run it up close to redline, shifting through 4th and 5th near redline.

Then you’ll know what she likes if you want to feel the wild, pants on fire acceleration.
Just make sure no cops around, because you’ll be going go to jail speeds.

When I wrecked my SDGT, I rode it home in limp mode with no right peg or rear brake pedal.
I still went 80-85 down the freeway (and would have gone faster), just couldn’t accelerate hard because of the rpm restriction.

I came off a Honda 919, -1 front sprocket (pretty similar to an FZ09 in power delivery).
And I felt the same way as you when I first got my SDGT, even posted about it (similar to your post) when I first joined the forum.
Once I figured out what she liked though, it was no comparison.

I ride an MT-10 now (decat and ECU flash), below 5k rpm it feels quicker (and I think it is) than my SDGT.
But 5k-8/9k rpm the SDGT pulled harder.
Bro I think you’re right as well, I’m just trying to be gentle. It is so driveable I’m just so surprised I guess! It could really use a more sensitive throttle, but then again, I haven’t tried any of the different ride modes so maybe that has what I need. Just need to do some good rides first and get this baby worn in.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,179 Posts
Above last post was blocked and in the background @BayAreaRider, I am not sure why. Maybe the multiple quotes. I have released it now, you may have been wondering where it went.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I want to emphasize the value of the gentle throttle response down low. It makes the bike easy as a puppy to ride and very comforting to cruise on. This is a very good feature you will sorely miss if you get a chance to ride something about a decade old that only has one mode... attack mode. The SDR is a very versatile motorcycle that does a LOT of seemingly contradicting things very right. And if the bottom half of the rev range really is too slow for your liking... well, nothing one quick downshift can't fix. And there's always Sport / Track mode with MTC off.

Reactions: GaryCulb

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Ducati streetfighter is a decade old, it's been blue-printed and makes the same bhp as the Superduke (but less torque). It has no electronic rider aids of any kind, not even ABS, and a cable throttle that feels likes it's connected directly to the back tyre and I greatly prefer the power delivery to the Superduke's.
The modern aspects where the Superduke beats the Ducati are a much lighter clutch, longer service intervals with cheaper running costs, better instrumentation and better fuel economy.
The Ducati absolutely will bite you if you let your attention wander. Obviously you can high side it and if you grab a clumsy fistful in the first three gears the clocks will snap upwards towards your face like a lunging dog.
But unless you've nodded off in the saddle that simply doesn't happen because you'd feel it coming. If you stay engaged (as you should be on any bike) the immediacy between tyre, throttle and seat of the pants transmits a wealth of information to your brain that is lost in a fog of intervention on the Superduke (and I have my SDR's MTC turned off).
The Ducati has been custom mapped and although you get full power at every throttle opening, the throttle connection is so smooth you can feel to the contact with the tarmac in your bones.

The Superduke feels very poorly fueled in comparison but I'm hoping I can bring it up to standard when it's remapped.

·
Registered
2020 SDR Black
39 Posts
My Ducati streetfighter is a decade old
It sounds like you are coming from a 1098SFS. While I'm still in love with the looks of the original SF (vs modern SF that is), the 848SF has nothing going for it vs 2020SDR but looks and wire throttle. And even that is a matter of just getting used to it. And while I always wished for 1098SFS, I have no regrets in moving into the future lol. All I keep thinking about on my 848SF is the main camshaft bearing failures - two in 4 years! Here's to hoping the SDR treats me a lot better (and if it doesn't, I got 2yrs factory warranty+4yrs extended).

ps Dont let me sound as a keyboard warrior, but I really doubt it makes the same hp.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts