KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, brand new to this forum but I am active on the Buell and Triumph forums. I primarily joined to get some info from you guys and try to determine whether the RC8 will be my next bike, so input is appreciated!

I am 99% a street only rider (I've done 3 track days in my 10 years of riding, will probably do one a year from here on, so my bikes are mostly just getting street miles). I've owned mostly all middle-weight sport bikes (Daytona 675, SV650, CBR 600, Buell XB12SS).

The RC8 caught my eye both because I like rarer/oddball sportbikes and because I find it INCREDIBLE to look at. And I currently ride a Buell XB12 and appreciate big V-twin torque. Here is my main question though: is the KTM RC8 too fast to have much fun on the street with? The old mantra is: "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". I've stuck with that through all my bikes so I've never gone above the 600 "class" of bikes (100-120 hp). I am a responsible rider and save my hooligan riding for country back roads and abandoned twisties, in traffic and the city I obey the speed limits. Is the RC8 still fun to ride in those conditions when you can't really wring it's neck and gun it to redline without hitting ludicrous speeds?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was always hanging on with my head in the clouds.
Ha, fair.

I guess my point is I would LIKE to be able to wring it out a little occasionally without hitting triple digits constantly. A powerful bike with shorter gearing would be the ticket (which I realize the RC8 doesn't have short gearing) so just curious what kind of speeds the top of 1st hits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you thinking you can just roll around town in 1st gear? Is that what you’re trying to figger out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably around 75-90mph before redlining.
Thanks for the info

Are you thinking you can just roll around town in 1st gear? Is that what you’re trying to figger out?
Haha! No... just wondering whether it is possible to get to the upper rev ranges in 1st without hitting unreasonable road speeds. I have alot of fun on a bike being able to rev it out every once in a while and do a hard upshift, but I am also a responsible rider on the road who picks good spots to have fun (seldom traveled hill and country roads mostly) so I want to make sure the RC8 is still fun at "road speeds" and not just track speeds.

It would be my only bike besides my wife's SV650

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the 8 is fun at road speeds. Get it, you will not regret it for a second
Cool, thanks for the endorsement.

I'll probably get hated on this forum for saying it, but the other bike I'm strongly considering is an 848 Evo. Mainly because the 848 is $1-2k cheaper and way easier to find (only one RC8 for sale locally, though the rarity appeals to me somewhat to be honest). And the 848 power level might be more suitable for street riding. However, it seems like the RC8 ergonomics would be better for someone my size (5'-11" 180 pounds), and obviously the power level would never get old.

Looks wise, I prefer the RC8 tail, seat, and subframe. I like the single sided swingarm and dual headlight look on the 848. I slightly prefer the looks of the RC8, but I think I would be happy with either on that front. Currently riding a Buell XB12 so the underbody exhaust appeals to me!

If I'm not mistaken, service interval and difficulty is roughly the same (7500 mile valve services) so thats a wash.

Weirdly, the RC8 is roughly $20/month cheaper to insure for me than the 848.

I found one guy locally with an RC8 that will let me come at least sit on it and see if I like the feel of it.

So that's basically where I am at on this decision.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weirdly, the RC8 is roughly $20/month cheaper to insure for me than the 848.
Just a quick side note.
If you haven’t already, may want to consider getting a couple quotes from different carriers.

When I bought my SDGT, I was also looking at a Ducati Monster 1200S and my “practical” option was the new 2019 CB1000R.

The KTM and Ducati were both just over $700/yr for full coverage with my current insurer, GEICO (I am 41 with a good driving record). The Honda was almost $1,300! Ran a quote with progressive on the Honda and they were around $700 on it also.
I am not sure how each company decides classifications/rates, but obviously a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
848 evo is a good choice as well. I hear ya about the 8 being hard to find. I had to fly from Denver to Dallas to pick mine up. Rented a truck and hauled it back. I’ve had R1s, cbr1krr, and a zx10. Ive never turned heads like I do now on the 8R. People are asking me **** all the time about it haha. Definitely is a rare bike to have. Mine is the 15 RC8R.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick side note.
If you haven’t already, may want to consider getting a couple quotes from different carriers.

When I bought my SDGT, I was also looking at a Ducati Monster 1200S and my “practical” option was the new 2019 CB1000R.

The KTM and Ducati were both just over $700/yr for full coverage with my current insurer, GEICO (I am 41 with a good driving record). The Honda was almost $1,300! Ran a quote with progressive on the Honda and they were around $700 on it also.
I am not sure how each company decides classifications/rates, but obviously a difference.
Good point, I'll get some more quotes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are your guys thoughts on the RC8 as a daily rider/only bike, mostly on the subject of reliability? But also things like heat transfer and such. I don't see many with more than 20k miles around, I assume because they are all relatively newer bikes, but it would be nice to know that they keep running strong without major issues as long as normal maintenance is done.

My Buell XB12s is very simple and reliable (old air cooled motor) so I have no problem piling miles on and there is practically no major issues to worry about. RC8 is a bit of a different animal I imagine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine rides warm! Its been in the high eighties/low nineties here lately and I won't ride it when its that hot. Helmet jacket and gloves don't help but are a necessity for me. I figured the low miles on many of them were from being track bikes only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine rides warm! Its been in the high eighties/low nineties here lately and I won't ride it when its that hot. Helmet jacket and gloves don't help but are a necessity for me. I figured the low miles on many of them were from being track bikes only.
Warm compared to other bikes? My Buell can get hot on the legs because of the header routing and the fact that it is air cooled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Probably not any warmer than any of the other liquid cooled bikes I have ridden-mostly Yamahas-but definitely cooler than the KTM RC390!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad I got in here before you bought a pasta rocket. Nothing against an 848 but in comparison to an RC8? Shake your head.

Can you mainly street ride an RC8? Hell ya, that's basically all I do with mine. Plus commute to work, plus try and find twisties, plus, plus, plus. In terms of rarity all you have to do is go to one bike meet and sadly all youre gonna talk about is your bike cause like you said, there's none around. The only thing I'll recommend, get a Jester, worth every penny.

If you're on a buell then you're already dealing with the no electronics which is exactly what the RC8 has, none. No nanny wheelie control or anything like that.

When it comes to your power questions, I ride with BMW 1000rr guys, the RC8 is slow to be honest. I modded mine. Buy one you won't regret it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
mmm the devils advocate...... I love my 690 and 990 but on the road I hate the snatchy throttle response, hence they are race bikes only. And from what I recall the RC8 is the same. I had a 1098s on the road and in reality was too much for the city riding. Could barely chug around in 3rd gear to keep at legal speeds. The dry clutch was not fun after stop start riding either. On the open road breaking the law it was outstanding though. The 848 on the other hand is a better proposition for road use as it had a wet clutch and not as much power therefore more usable for road use. From a purely emotional outlook I would get the ARSY as it is definitely one of the best looking bikes ever released and sounds freaking out of this world. Comes down to whether its a daily ride or a weekend rocket in my mind

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
13 Participants
modrummer
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing