KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTM is using a ton of market speak & buzz words to sell the new 2020 1290 SDR

KTM was under pressure as others in overcoming the newest EURO noise & epa regs which ADDED WEIGHT & REDUCED POWER.

SO KTM had to reduce overall weight and tweak the engine etc I do think the exhaust system is Butt Fugly.

However the electronics / ecu paks are pretty much the same plus a few tweaks.

Also since the engine and CG is 38mm HIGHER you have to endure a "more aggressive " riding position...not great

One of the main reasons for buying the sdr in the first place is COMFORT... naked hooligan bike meaning the SDR is like riding a GIANT DIRT BIKE
now its morphing into a tuono. arrrgggh.
a better buy is a new 2018 or 2019 or a used 2017-2019... compare them and you will see.:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, if you believe the dyno plots that are online, looks like the 2020 is putting down more than 3 HP more. I don't remember the exact link but it was when one shop was testing the new Streetfighter and then for reference they overlaid it against the 2020 SDR and they even commented that the SDR. The 2020 SDR looked to dyne only 10 HP less than the Ducati. I think it dyne'd at about 177. KTM claims 180 at the crank... I just recalled the vid. Go here and watch at about 8:45. This was the vid that pushed me over the edge to not buy a Streetfighter and look at the SDR.

Also the linkage suspension should be an improvement. Something that was most interesting to me was the upgrade to a 6 axis IMU for the MSC. I can tell you that riding them back to back, the newer version is more granular and seems to have finer control (i.e. a bit more delicate when cutting the throttle). They say lighter wheels (always a good thing) but don't say how much lighter.

They way I look at it, the increased power, reduced weight, updated the MSC and keep the price the same. What's not to like?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally understand
but...
just cannot get by the pipes and frame

if you haven t ridden a 2018 or 2019 sdr yet ... do so and you find the bike is flawless in handling at any speed ... more lower end torque than a streetfighter or tuono

it is much faster in the twistied than either of the other nakeds because of the low end torque

it already feels like a two wheeled mc claren

much more fun to ride
mouch more comfy on long rides than the 2020 and 30 cheaper.

:cool: I

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^^ Im glad your happy with your Gen 2 Super Duke. But the Gen 3 2020 is a giant leap forward in every way. Ive had 2 1290's previous to the 2020. They just don't compare when pushed hard. The 2020 is closer to the scalpel 790 in its nimbleness of handling, and its front end feel, its engine is stronger everywhere, it pulls smoothly from as low as 2000rev's, the suspension is near on perfect. seat is nice, yes it has a lower handlebar setting, but man this thing moves fast, and with the lower stance it helps with the wind blast. its a better bike everywhere, it has a smaller fuel tank, but its more fuel efficient so makes up for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I stated

1. lower bars are far less comfortable on long rides

2. smaller tank is a pain in the *** on any but the shortest rides

3. the pipes mimicking the ducati are butt fugly

4. "gen 2" has same power same torque and the bike weighs the same

5. the frame / raising the cg was unnecessary the gen 2 is incredibly flickable without being top heavy

6. the new dash is cool new software is cool and new suspension mods cool

but

the changes are not worth the money

I would go up against any 2020 with my 2017 any time

the ktm sdr has always been a magical bike but the 2020 changes were made to offset the new euro epa & noise regs while keeping the sdr magical

it gets increasingly difficult for ktm to improve an already fantastic bike and keep the price point esp during this global downdraft of shrinking vehicle sales

😎👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think most of the positive changes are in the chassis and handling with the new forks and rear suspension linkage. The engine has been tweaked to meet ever increasing Euro emission rules and KTM have probably done well to keep the power outputs similar.

I was in the market for a new bike last December and was excited by both the new Streetfighter and Superduke. I would say both underwhelmed me a little. The Ducati is a mess and only real fanboys will be stumping up the 20k for what the reviews say isnt a great road bike. For the KTM I thought it was ok and liked the new screen and (dont hate me) the exhaust but my pet hate is cheap unpainted plastic on bikes. The KTM tail unit seems to be made entirely from it. Also not sure about the taller two step tank as it looks out of place. In some respects I think it looks a little more vanilla compared to the Gen 1 & 2 but thats probably to appeal to a wider market.

Overall its no doubt a better bike than the Gen2 but it wont be for everyone. I would be interested to see how many sold are new to the KTM brand and how many upgrade from a Gen1 or 2. In the end I saved 4.5k and went for a new leftover Gen 2 as I couldnt resist the price. Not done many miles yet but my old Tuono V4 was much sharper in the handling department. So I can see me spending some money on getting it sorted. So maybe KTM knew what to focus on with the Gen3!

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^^The tail section is made from composite carbon, lighter and stronger. Theres a youtube video from the guys from Austin Racing, they match the 2020 against the Gen 2, and the new SDR smokes the old Gen 2 in roll ons, its not even close, it romps away. On a recent ride with my mate on his Gen 2 he used 2 litres more fuel for the same distanct travelled, i did 225 kms for 11 litres of fuel, so the new engine not only produces more HP, more torque at lower revs, but is more fuel efficient. Ive owned both Gen 2 ( 2 bikes) and i now have the latest, and there really is no comparison. Cant wait for the next track day to see how much faster it is around the race track.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
All the comparo tests that included the last-gen SDR faulted it only for it's racetrack imprecision compared to other offerings. So what did KTM do? They used the basic design of the RC8 and 8R frame to make a more precise handling machine that would compare well with the competition on a racetrack. Since lots of owners trackday their SDR's, they now have a sharper weapon to do so upon. With their company edict regarding production of another pure sportbike, this is about as far as they can be expected to go.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
One of the main reasons for buying the sdr in the first place is COMFORT-jimjames

Sorry. Jim. Comfort is a reason for buying a GoldWing. The comfort factor of Super Dukes is incidental. It's appreciated by owners, but probably not high on the list of target values. Of course, KTM doesn't want to make uncomfortable bikes (witness again the edict against producing a pure (read torture-rack) sportbike. I think making them easy to ride despite their great performance was a lot farther up the list. Abject discomfort would interfere with easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think most of the positive changes are in the chassis and handling with the new forks and rear suspension linkage. The engine has been tweaked to meet ever increasing Euro emission rules and KTM have probably done well to keep the power outputs similar.

I was in the market for a new bike last December and was excited by both the new Streetfighter and Superduke. I would say both underwhelmed me a little. The Ducati is a mess and only real fanboys will be stumping up the 20k for what the reviews say isnt a great road bike. For the KTM I thought it was ok and liked the new screen and (dont hate me) the exhaust but my pet hate is cheap unpainted plastic on bikes. The KTM tail unit seems to be made entirely from it. Also not sure about the taller two step tank as it looks out of place. In some respects I think it looks a little more vanilla compared to the Gen 1 & 2 but thats probably to appeal to a wider market.

Overall its no doubt a better bike than the Gen2 but it wont be for everyone. I would be interested to see how many sold are new to the KTM brand and how many upgrade from a Gen1 or 2. In the end I saved 4.5k and went for a new leftover Gen 2 as I couldnt resist the price. Not done many miles yet but my old Tuono V4 was much sharper in the handling department. So I can see me spending some money on getting it sorted. So maybe KTM knew what to focus on with the Gen3!
I wouldn t exactly call it an upgrade, more like incremental improvements costing $5,000 difference between a 2019 and a 2020... not worth it...

Great move and if you need any further encouragement watch Chris Filmore's record run up Pike's Peak on the SDR...beating ALL OTHER BIKES....watch every second... that is why I bought the SDR

All this noise regarding "gen 2 vs gen 3" is sales noise...and bs splitting hairs and trolling
ANY REAL SDR Owner knows the truth

the streetfighter looks like an cheap italian boombox and unfortunately ktm copied the exhaust to beat euro emissions but still resembles the giant pipe organ in Phantom of the Opera
the tuono' s seat feels like a vinyl covered 2by4..

To be fair the tuono and sdr should not really be compared as both are designed for different riding situations

The SDR was more like riding a giant dirt bike and that is what made it so much fun... gen 3 is more like a tuono and less like an SDR.. I love the original SDR premise of high speed hooligan fun, tight corners foot down with a slide

If you want to go motogp buy a Leggerro if you want to race IOTT get a Gen 2 SDR

:cool: I

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The SDR was more like riding a giant dirt bike and that is what made it so much fun..-jimjames

This. Of course, manufacturers always want bragging rights.

I've seen the Pikes Peak vids and talked to Chris Fillmore. Lets not forget he still owns the middleweight and lightweight records, but the heavyweight record is now held by ex-teammate Rennie Scaysbrook on an Aprilia V4. And that Scaysbrook said the late Carlin Dunne was 5 seconds faster than him on the same machine. If they ever run up the mountain again, I'm sure KTM would like a chance at a clean sweep. The new SDR looks to be an improvement, but is it enough to beat Ducati?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you missed the point
"The SDR is more like riding a giant dirt bike and that is what makes it so much fun..-"

we could go back and forth forever but again I wouldn t buy the gen 3 over the gen 2 because the gen 2 has proven itself and the jury is out until the gen 3 proves itself

I own and ride the 2017 ... lovn the SDR . the gen 3 is a new format which I do not like .

Enjoy your 2020 if you actually own one.

😎👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^^The tail section is made from composite carbon, lighter and stronger. Theres a youtube video from the guys from Austin Racing, they match the 2020 against the Gen 2, and the new SDR smokes the old Gen 2 in roll ons, its not even close, it romps away. On a recent ride with my mate on his Gen 2 he used 2 litres more fuel for the same distanct travelled, i did 225 kms for 11 litres of fuel, so the new engine not only produces more HP, more torque at lower revs, but is more fuel efficient. Ive owned both Gen 2 ( 2 bikes) and i now have the latest, and there really is no comparison. Cant wait for the next track day to see how much faster it is around the race track.

If its composite carbon it still looks like cheap plastic to me! :)

Good points on the engine tho and I think KTM have done a lot of work to make the engine more usable. I have read reviews that have said its lost the raw edge tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you missed the point
"The SDR is more like riding a giant dirt bike and that is what makes it so much fun..-"

we could go back and forth forever but again I wouldn t buy the gen 3 over the gen 2 because the gen 2 has proven itself and the jury is out until the gen 3 proves itself

I own and ride the 2017 ... lovn the SDR . the gen 3 is a new format which I do not like .

Enjoy your 2020 if you actually own one.

😎👍
[/QUO
Haters gonna Hate! :rolleyes:

Almost sounds like a lil "buyers remorse" goin on here............

·
Registered
402 Posts
So the OP claims that the new bike isn't an improvement but uses arguments that prove clearly that it's nothing more than personal bias. I say, "nothing more than" because he is misusing his opinions for facts. It's like when someone says, "The world would be a better place if those (insert whatever flavor of minority it's fashionable for you to hate or person with a political opinion that differs from your own) would just (insert an unreasonable demand coupled with an unrealistic expectation) then the world would finally be a better place. Big ideas go with big ideas and small ideas go with small ideas. It works but not if you confuse the two and mix big and small. It's the sliding slope from logical to self-serving that we all have. Opinions aren't separate from us if we believe in them and, in the end, high quality though and opinions are far, far, far better than low quality ones. This is not subjective. Races aren't won by a vote, the best ones are the best for a reason. These questions can be fun to play social games to some personality types but no one ever walks away better for it. "This is the way it is, for everyone, because I see it that way!" is just tired, pointless, and old. It's the thinking old men get when their brains no longer have plasticity and it's difficult on everyone around them. Do better, think better, act better, live better, feel better is a far better dogma.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds like your brain has grown an over abundance of solid plastic

No theory here dr freud

I actually own and ride a 2017 SDR and only expressing my opinions.. still we are discussing actual super dukes not theory.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Play the numbers game all you want and use them to qualify your decision until you're blue in the face.

The decision to buy a motorcycle is an emotional one. Cars are the microwaves of the roads. We all need and use them, no one loves them. The market for Superdukes - men that never bothered to grow up and want to pay big for a proper looner with a nuclear reactor for an engine - these men are not rational buyers. Rationality ought to support your purchase decisions, not dictate it. That's what we have BMW GS's and cars for.

You seem to have a vendetta against the latest SDR. Go right ahead, just don't expect much support from a KTM forum when you try to quantify an emotional decision with numbers. It doesn't really matter. We are all streetriders and none of us need all this high tech equipment.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts