KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
The SDR was more like riding a giant dirt bike and that is what made it so much fun..-jimjames

This. Of course, manufacturers always want bragging rights.

I've seen the Pikes Peak vids and talked to Chris Fillmore. Lets not forget he still owns the middleweight and lightweight records, but the heavyweight record is now held by ex-teammate Rennie Scaysbrook on a Ducati V4. And that Scaysbrook said the late Carlin Dunne was 5 seconds faster than him on the same machine. If they ever run up the mountain again, I'm sure KTM would like a chance at a clean sweep. The new SDR looks to be an improvement, but is it enough to beat Ducati?
Rennie was on an Aprilia Hammerhead for his record breaking win. Rennie rode the previous years on the KTM 1st and a 2nd. Chris Fillmore was over 7 seconds ahead on the Ducati when he crashed. Hey theres a good youtube video from Rennie Scaybrook on the new 2020 1290R, he loves it and raves about the changes. Worth watching for those considering the new beast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
^^^ Im glad your happy with your Gen 2 Super Duke. But the Gen 3 2020 is a giant leap forward in every way. Ive had 2 1290's previous to the 2020. They just don't compare when pushed hard. The 2020 is closer to the scalpel 790 in its nimbleness of handling, and its front end feel, its engine is stronger everywhere, it pulls smoothly from as low as 2000rev's, the suspension is near on perfect. seat is nice, yes it has a lower handlebar setting, but man this thing moves fast, and with the lower stance it helps with the wind blast. its a better bike everywhere, it has a smaller fuel tank, but its more fuel efficient so makes up for it.
Have you even ridden a 2020 yet? Most likely not.

but thanks for your unqualified opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you even ridden a 2020 yet? Most likely not.

but thanks for your unqualified opinion.
I own one, i traded my 1290 and my 790 on it, have you ridden one?, your the one poo hoping it. Ive also done over 60,000kms on 2 Gen 2 1290's.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Rennie was on an Aprilia Hammerhead for his record breaking win. Rennie rode the previous years on the KTM 1st and a 2nd. Chris Fillmore was over 7 seconds ahead on the Ducati when he crashed. Hey theres a good youtube video from Rennie Scaybrook on the new 2020 1290R, he loves it and raves about the changes. Worth watching for those considering the new beast.
I stand corrected on he record-holding V4, but I think you meant Carlin Dunne was 7 seconds ahead on the Ducati when he crashed, not Mr. Fillmore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I stand corrected on he record-holding V4, but I think you meant Carlin Dunne was 7 seconds ahead on the Ducati when he crashed, not Mr. Fillmore.
Arrr ****, yes Carlin Dunne, the Ducati Pikes Peak maestro. Sad day when he crashed and died, could be the death nail for bike racing on Pikes Peak. (Hey Hammerhead, one all ha ha).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
View attachment 97299

If its composite carbon it still looks like cheap plastic to me! :)

Good points on the engine tho and I think KTM have done a lot of work to make the engine more usable. I have read reviews that have said its lost the raw edge tho.
Most 'carbon fiber' body parts are crp which is carbon-reinforced plastic. Everyone likes the weave patterns cleared over. It probably is a little cheaper to mass-produce composites rather than layup.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We're a bit off the rails here, but other than jj, most folks seem to think the 2020 SDR is a definite improvement over it's predecessor. How much of an improvement and how much price differential is justified is pretty subjective, but I have to disagree with the thread title. I'm sure with my paltry skills, I could have just as much fun and get into just as much trouble with the police on the older model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We're a bit off the rails here, but other than jj, most folks seem to think the 2020 SDR is a definite improvement over it's predecessor. How much of an improvement and how much price differential is justified is pretty subjective, but I have to disagree with the thread title. I'm sure with my paltry skills, I could have just as much fun and get into just as much trouble with the police on the older model.
Exactly. Most of the improvements on the 2020 would be lost on me at my skill level, but things like less leg room, a smaller tank, and less pleasing aesthetics would bother me. I love the comfort and look of my '18 along with way more than enough performance, and am not even remotely interested in a change at this time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I share your opinion.

since no KTM Dealer will ALLOW TEST RIDES all this heat is based on their OPINIONS WHICH ARE BASED UPON REVIEWS NOT EXPERIENCE

My opinion like yours is based upon our experience on gen 2 SDR S and ourvREASONS FOR BUYING THE GEN2

SO

anything with less comfort less fuel capacity or esthetics we do not love

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2017 SDR ... and it is very fast and I ride it very hard ....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im taking my 1290R for a 250km back road ride today, forgotten highway, all tight twisty back roads, no gas stations. going with 2 -950 Multi's, his should give me an idea how many KMs i can get from a 16.5 litre tank. My previous 1290R would get around 230-240 before the fuel warning. Will let you know how many KMs before fuel light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My understanding is that the "slightly" smaller fuel tank gave way to the BAD A$$ BITCHIN FUEL FOGGERS that quietly sit over the injectors until needed @ WFO.....
By the way, I'm averaging 44 mpg and I ride this thing like bill clinton tryin to distance himself from jeffery epstien :oops: So I for one an OK with the tank size! (y)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am very curious as to why certain forum members are so focused on super imposing THEIR OPINIONS ON OTHERS.

I love and prefer to own the gen 2 sdr for specific reasons ... that is MY OPINION as expressed.

I don t care for the 2020 sdr for very specific reasons....

I love the ktm motorcycle design conceptuals for ALL KTM MODELS ... but not the 2020 sdr...

I prefer racing flat track and super moto over motogp which is why I love the gen 2 sdr...

theres no argument here
the 2020 is not an IMPROVED SDR it is a different format closer to bikes I wouldn t purchase.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Careful there Jimbo...... you're pushing hard with an opinion about the 20SDR and you've not ridden one yet..... (DaveNZ and spsgold each own a 20R, as do several other forum members).

Everybody likes what they like. I like my 17SDGT (best bike I've ever owned:D).... others might think it is ugly..... I don't care.... it's what I like, and it delivers what I need for riding long distances here in Au-bloody-straylia :LOL:.

A majority of the 20R changes are not visible on walk around reviews. Perceived value for money is up to the buyer, but all the manufacturer's are adding stuff to their new models for 2021....... it's all happened many times before, otherwise we'd all still be riding BSA Gold Star's or CB750/4's from the 50's-70's :eek:......

Even Triumph will soon be releasing a totally new 1160 Speed Tripple for 2021..... we all forget how long some models have been running.....

I particularly like these two changes (pics) on the 20R, and hope the gen 3 model 21SDGT gets them - my SDGT will be 4yo next year and I might be itching to step up like I did in 2017 (or not, I'll see how I feel)......... It's not just about looks - we enjoy the technical discussion, and, as my cousin the KTM dealership mechanic said to me last Tuesday, KTM don't sit still while the competition improves their product.

Enjoy the 17R, it's a great bike just as my 17GT still is..... but time waits for no-man and KTM would go broke if it didn't add value or improve their models in this super competitive global market.

(y)

Attachments

Reactions: BayAreaRider

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
189 Posts
The only thing of the new gen that is a turn off for me is the linkage rear suspension malarkey, one more thing that needs tending to on a regular basis. Had enough of that, direct acting rear suspenders for me....ezpz.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only thing of the new gen that is a turn off for me is the linkage rear suspension malarkey, one more thing that needs tending to on a regular basis. Had enough of that, direct acting rear suspenders for me....ezpz.
Really, thats very interesting because it’s one of the features I’m really interested in. I can see how this gen2 squats already, I can’t imagine that linkage doesn’t take care of that. I’ve been riding mountain bikes for years and have watched the suspension progress to what it is today, and linkage is it! The bump compliance on some systems is incredible and enables the rider to deliver more of the force used for pedaling directly to the rear tire, instead of being absorbed by the rear shock and dispersed. More maintenance though... that’s valid for sure.

It’s funny, this convo reminds me of exactly how I felt when Polaris came out with the 2020 Pro XP RZR, their newest side by side. It had an all new chassis over the last 4 generations and was more stiff and lightweight, more HP, better suspension geometry. Tons of upgrades/improvements which they equated to an essentially completely different machine. It was a huge deal. But I tell you - I have despised the look of them since they came out. Looks like a giant tick or something. Not a fan of the roll cage and chassis even though it’s more rigid etc... Yet everyone who has driven one or owns one absolutely loves it. And here I am now slowly coming around to the design and looks! I have surprised even myself. Maybe I just felt a bit invalidated about my once top of the line ‘18.

Jim, maybe you will feel this way in the future. Although I understand what you are saying, that while the bike is a totally different beast it just has not gone in the direction you would have preferred right now. Nothing wrong with that. And also that while many things have been improved upon, of course KTM is marketing the heck out of it. Is it a little overplayed on hype? Possibly. I hear you. But also, I haven’t ridden one so I can’t truly comment. Albeit any good marketing team will create the hype you have witnessed here to sell models. Can’t blame em for that!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
KTM is apparently going more towards superbike and away from original SDR Concept...

Aside from that I m curious why no one seems to talk about the actual riding experience... everyone seems to want to argue about specs rather than the amazing ride amazing power amazing handling and amazing acceleration.....

last year took 2 days from LA to San Fran and back.

up Pacific Coast Highway day one and back down day two...350 mi each way....My SDR was magically fast and surgically accurate thru the tightest twisties and switchbacks along the cliffs and canyons from Morro Bay to Santa Cruz... most fun from Ragged Point to and thru Big Sur.

You can jam the SDR deep into corners using the quick shifter with MSR and traction control so you don t even have to touch the clutch and barely use the brakes so cool using the massive torque coming out of corners and engine braking deeper into corners ... man ths SDR is pure magic...lets you drive into the corners like a flat tracker and come out like motogp.... thats my ride .

😎👍

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
189 Posts
Don't get me wrong, linkage suspensions work great, my first was my new 1981 GPZ550, I rode that bike in all sorts of weather and the linkage was neglected by my youthful self and nearly came apart on me. Since then, I've had several bikes with and without. I just prefer not having to do that tedious dance of disassemble,clean, pack and reassemble.
It's usually neglected by most owners, works awesome when new, sucks bad when grease dries up....pita i don't want to deal with anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I totally agree...

I just don t like the overall look and some of the config decisions KTM made on the 2020 sdr ... I understand why they made the changes... pipes look too ducati etc

still love gen 2 but maybe they took the sdr as far as they could in that configuration.
😎👍

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well i did 240 KMs of tight windie back roads, 2nd 3rd and 4th gear mostly, gassed up and put 13.5 litres in, bike said 50kms left, fuel warning came on at 210kms so did 30 on reserve light. During the ride i dropped the mode from Sport to Street, sport just drove the bike too hard from low revs. Secondly, i found the suspension too firm on the bumpy back roads, 3 more clicks out on the fork comp and 4 more clicks out on the rear and it transformed the bike, almost plush, but sure footed, loving what KTM have done with the new 1290R, its a major leap forward in performance. Haven't tried the Track mode on the road, may wait till next track day.

21 - 40 of 201 Posts