KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 07 SD, Test drove one a few weeks back and fell in love. My plan is to finish out the summer with it in stock form, maybey upgrade the exaust, and during the winter start upgrading it to the 'R' specs. Most of the parts I can find, However I am looking for some help locating the R spec camshafts ( and springs if needed ). Any Ideas? I am going to pick it up next week, cant hardly wait. That thing makes My FZ6 positivly whimper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SuperDuke R?

Were you wanting to update to the 2007 model year R or the 2008 model year R? The '08 has more grunt than the '07.
I have a black 2007 standard SD and absolutely love it. I've thought long and hard about modifying it with end cans, etc but it's so good I can't see why I need to. Hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There aren't R spec camshafts, the '08 SD and SDR part numbers are the same. The '08 R model uses 3mm larger intake valves, 0.7 higher compression pistons, larger throttle bodies (RC8?), 55mm Akrapovic header, different spark plugs, and a lightened crankshaft to gain the exrta 12 hp / 1.5 ft lbs at 1,000 rpm higher on both specs.

Basically the only power upgrade allowed on the Super Duke Battle series bikes is Akrapovic cans and Akra's EFI map.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah, Thanks guys, I read an article somewhere that stated the cams were different. So it looks like upgrading to "R" speck is a bit more involved than I thought. I think for now I will stick with getting some slip-ons and an air filter, this winter maybey tear into the motor. I picked it up saturday and drove it home from denver. It had 315 miles on it, according to the owners manual they dont want the engine revved past 6500 for thr first 620 miles. I am sure that the first 300 miles it was reved past that, but I was nice to it for the last 300 miles.

The bike is flat out fun to ride, cant wait to get the exaust on it and start tuning it. Has anyone messed around with pulling off some of the emisions crap? there is a charcoal canister under the seat that needs to go ( no standard testing where I live ) and is the catalitic converter located in the stock muffler? I would like to get the weight paired down to get it closer to ~380lbs (what My freinds GSXR weighs dry). It looks like just swaping to slip-ons could drop almost 20 lbs alone.

So have any of you raced it against other sport bikes? I know there is no way I will stay up with My freinds GSXR1000, 30lbs heavier and 60hp less. But should be able to hold its own with most 600's I would think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I.ve removed my charcoal canister, you need plug the one hose that goes to the fuel injection and the other is the vent for the gas tank I just cut them shorter and tucked them neatly under the seat. Yes the cat is in the stock exhaust and yes that thing is heavy, I just swapped mine out for the FMF Apex at least 15-20 pounds savings and looks great. Pics in the gallery. I'll be going to the drags this Friday and my buddy has a GSXR 1000 I'll let you know how I make out, and as far as a road course is concerned the SD will definatly hold its own. Don't underestimate your SD, Check out these lap times and speeds http://www.superduke.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=279

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, So the charcoal canister is going bye-bye, as well as the stock muffler/cat combo. I am looking at buying a "Tune boy" system to re-tune for the exaust. I am curious if anyone has dynoed there SD's before and after mods. Wondering what kind of HP i could expect. As I live at ~4500ft I know My power will be down a bit, If I can get some time off work at the same time as my dyno-owning freind I will try to gather some data and share.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts