KTM Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1248 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kev,

Could be discussed a thousand times already but I have a question.
I ride a 2014 smc-r with an evo1 setup (excluding the header). The evo1 dealer map is also active. Last week I did some maintenance and pulled the spark plugs for the first time. I was a bit shocked by the color of them:

https://flic.kr/p/25DiXCA

Bright white, but it seemed there was some sort of pouder on them.

After wiping it off with my hand:

https://flic.kr/p/25nerGt

And a new set after about a 20km drive:

https://flic.kr/p/JB8SLC

The bike is running fine (although i dont have a reference) and no stalling at all.
Does this sound familiar to you, and you think your o2 mod will help my cause?

I am located in the Netherlands (EU) but I saw you ship world wide.

Thanks in advance!

Luuk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
O2 mod fuel mileage

Re-installed the 02 mod on my all stock (except 15/42 gearing) 2017 duke 690. did the idle reset and filled up the tank. I did notice a little smoother running below 4000 rpms. the lumpiness is unchanged, 4th gear is good to about 3400 rpms and 3rd gear just below 3000 rpms and that didn't change. at about 80 miles I was at about 2 bars on the fuel gauge so filled up and did the math. 36 mpgs. without the mod I get about 54 mpgs. I live about 30 miles southeast of Chicago so lots of stop and go and backroads with no highway riding. Its off for good unless I decide to get a full exhaust down the road.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,143
Re-installed the 02 mod on my all stock (except 15/42 gearing) 2017 duke 690. did the idle reset and filled up the tank. I did notice a little smoother running below 4000 rpms. the lumpiness is unchanged, 4th gear is good to about 3400 rpms and 3rd gear just below 3000 rpms and that didn't change. at about 80 miles I was at about 2 bars on the fuel gauge so filled up and did the math. 36 mpgs. without the mod I get about 54 mpgs. I live about 30 miles southeast of Chicago so lots of stop and go and backroads with no highway riding. Its off for good unless I decide to get a full exhaust down the road.
Thanks for your feedback, I would say there is a problem with your O2 sensor as the O2 controller can never add that much fuel to cause a massive fuel increase, at the most it would be 5 to 10mpg increase depending on riding conditions & how the bike is ridden.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,144
Hi Kev,

Could be discussed a thousand times already but I have a question.
I ride a 2014 smc-r with an evo1 setup (excluding the header). The evo1 dealer map is also active. Last week I did some maintenance and pulled the spark plugs for the first time. I was a bit shocked by the color of them:

https://flic.kr/p/25DiXCA

Bright white, but it seemed there was some sort of pouder on them.

After wiping it off with my hand:

https://flic.kr/p/25nerGt

And a new set after about a 20km drive:

https://flic.kr/p/JB8SLC

The bike is running fine (although i dont have a reference) and no stalling at all.
Does this sound familiar to you, and you think your o2 mod will help my cause?

I am located in the Netherlands (EU) but I saw you ship world wide.

Thanks in advance!

Luuk.
Luuk it is very hard to check the AFR on a fuel injected bike just by plug colour, mainly because the ECU is programmed to inject additional air into the exhaust for emissions & has injector cut off on closed throttles. The AFR need to be measured at part loads & under load, as part load throttles run on the pressure/rpm map tables & under load used the TPS/RPM tables, the part load tables are usually set leaner than TPS tables, I would recommend a data logger or AFR gauge or get the bike on the Dyno.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,145
Exactly as I found with mine. I don't think there are any claims that this mod makes more power, just that it makes what power is there far more useable. I just fitted a smaller CS sprocket when the bike was still fairly new as well. It's made it into a really useable lightweight sport tourer now that the torque reserve of the engine is accessible.
100% not a power mod as it only works when you are cruising & at part throttles, as soon as you accelerate the closed loop O2 sensor signal is ignored by the ECU & the ECU runs on the open loop maps..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, I would say there is a problem with your O2 sensor as the O2 controller can never add that much fuel to cause a massive fuel increase, at the most it would be 5 to 10mpg increase depending on riding conditions & how the bike is ridden.
My brief experience with Kev's O2 controller is that fuel mileage is reduced by 5 to 10 MPG. For example on a recent ride with mixed high speed and low speed riding mileage was about 52 MPG. Before installing the controller, mileage was closer to 60 MPG.

Ken

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147
My brief experience with Kev's O2 controller is that fuel mileage is reduced by 5 to 10 MPG. For example on a recent ride with mixed high speed and low speed riding mileage was about 52 MPG. Before installing the controller, mileage was closer to 60 MPG.

Ken
Thanks for your input Ken.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Another satisfied customer here.

Even with the Duke set on the #2 setting the bike has low rpm manners, I can cruise at 2500rpm no herky jerky, I love it.

Bravo Kev, Bravo! :grin2:

Stu

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
Another satisfied customer here.

Even with the Duke set on the #2 setting the bike has low rpm manners, I can cruise at 2500rpm no herky jerky, I love it.

Bravo Kev, Bravo! :grin2:

Stu
Thanks for your feedback Stu.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question - 2018 Duke 690 Duke?

Hi Kev,

Just picked up a 2018 Duke 690 with Ackra slip on. I added a Boosterplug. Will the 02 mod help with the lower rpm lean running problems?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151 (Edited)
Hi Kev,

Just picked up a 2018 Duke 690 with Ackra slip on. I added a Boosterplug. Will the 02 mod help with the lower rpm lean running problems?

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff 2016 to 2018 Dukes all use the same part number engine ECU so there should be no reason why it would not work on the 2018 models, you are the first person that I know of with a 2018 model, the O2 controller has been tested on all year models except the 2018 models & don't see any reason why it will not work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2018 690 Duke and just installed Kev's 02 mod at 1100 miles. I installed a booster plug prior to having the 600 mile oil change & check up. The two are working well together. The bike runs well and pulls hard from 2500 RPM to red line. Waiting to see what the impact on fuel mileage will be. I ride mostly on country roads with hills and lots of turns and twists. Glad I did them both.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
I have a 2018 690 Duke and just installed Kev's 02 mod at 1100 miles. I installed a booster plug prior to having the 600 mile oil change & check up. The two are working well together. The bike runs well and pulls hard from 2500 RPM to red line. Waiting to see what the impact on fuel mileage will be. I ride mostly on country roads with hills and lots of turns and twists. Glad I did them both.

Thanks for your feedback Merrimic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recieved Kev's O2 mod for my 2017 690 duke. Without the mod, stock exhaust and no decat it was pulling back and forth at the lower rpm range.

After the install it ran like a charm, one of the best purchases you can do for your duke. Very smooth! First gear is now something that is usable...

Later on i installed a LV decat with the stock exhaust and the mod, still runs very great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How was the noise ? Feel free to open a new thread if we don't want to clutter it up.
I had a 2013 duke 690 before, also with a leovince decat. It did not have kev's O2 mod.

2013 model with decat, very stock sounding at idle. Only at higher revs ( 5K+) the decat was really noticeable.

2017 model with decat, and ofcourse with the O2 mod! Sounds at idle already a lot better. Much more ''base''. But when you open the throttle now.. WOW! it is amazing. If this is the O2 mod, or maybe they made some changes to stock muffler, i do not know. But i really dont need any aftermarket exhaust...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Kev's mod (really helped my Duke), and I have been contemplating the addition of a Booster Plug for the open loop AFR. It seems like the Booster Plug and Kev's mod are the only two stand alone mods that can be combined on the Duke, to cover both open and closed loop maps.

I've been waiting for someone with both mods to confirm that they do indeed work together, before I purchase.

They do right? Ha

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mods

Ok I just picked up 2017 690 Duke and could someone please explain to me what Kev’s mod and a boster plug is and how they work. This is my first KTM my other bike is a Triumph Speed Triple and I use Tune ECU. THANK YOU!!!!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,159
The Booster plug will correct the AFR in the open loop that is the part of the mapping under acceleration quick throttle openings, my O2 controller corrects the AFR in the closed loop that is the part of the mapping at part or small throttle openings & when cruising.

Both mods should work fine together as they both map different areas of the bike mapping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 690 Duke, GPR exhaust and just installed Kev's 02 mod. Delivery took 10 days to Russia. Installation was very easy, about 15 min and then 15 min reset. Amazing impressions after first ride. It's so smooth on low RPMs and bike became so friendly, especially after switch to Soft mode! Just cruising and relaxing! Now map-switching really makes sense. Hooligan at Advanced or nice guy at Soft.

1141 - 1160 of 1248 Posts