KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gone -1 tooth on the front, bike was over geared for where I ride, fitted a Lithium iron battery save 2.4kg in weight, have managed to get off 6600g of weight with no decat so far.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My brother in law bought it.

Just done a 240kms run through the twisties this morning on the 890, I am amazed how well the bike handles, it's like on rails very easy to look good on this bike, so flickable through the tight stuff I am well chuffed with the bike, I had reservations going to a parallel twin with less torque & HP from my other rides but KTM have all the torque right where you need it this motor is so sweet, really good job KTM.

·
Registered
KTM 890R, R1M, R6, CBR1000RR, R1200GS, etc
5 Posts
Gone -1 tooth on the front, bike was over geared for where I ride, fitted a Lithium iron battery save 2.4kg in weight, have managed to get off 6600g of weight with no decat so far.
Hey kevxtx. Firmly considering the 890R as my first KTM. Have owned 24 bikes across all types of riding. Light weight, flickable, street bike with top notch components. That's what I'm looking for. (Track days have spoiled me ;))

Which mods have you run to take off the 6.6kg? (I saw the Li Ion) Do the 790 decat solutions work on the 890? Any idea on how much weight can expect to save from that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
@rbiker - If you are on the fence about the 890R, don't be. This thing ticks all the boxes. I am probably obsessed with bike more than I should be. Some of the bikes in the garage currently are Kawi Z H2, S1000RR, S1000XR, K1600GT, Ducati 1260 Multi and XDiavel S to name a few. I just bought the 890R and it has to be one of the most fun, and best bikes I've ridden. I have a few complaints like they should have had all the software packages enabled by default and has cruise as standard (other than another software package and a switch), but all in all this bike is amazing.

I have bikes that are faster around a track or in a straight line but they all cost a lot more and I doubt they will be that much faster, except on a track with pretty long straights, than the 890R if track days are your thing. For the street it is an amazing package. This bike just carves up turns with surgical precision. The motor is a blast and the brakes are phenomenal. I thought they were ok at first but I cleaned them with brake cleaner on a rag, did a few stops to bed them in, and they really bite now. I would say my only other complaint so far is insurance is up there with any of my other really high performance bikes. It is the same as my Z H2 and S1000RR which puts it almost 3 times more than the Ducatis or S1000XR.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
rbiker, like you I have had many bikes this one is number 54 for me & I am not disappointed, if you after big top end speed a 1290 or like bike would be more suited. Over the years I have learnt I can ride quicker through the mountains on lighter bikes that can point, shoot & stop quicker, I try am make them as light as I can, this 890 does everything I wish for so far, I will get onto the tune soon as I dont like part throttles & know richening up the closed loop will help heaps, looking at the post Dyno runs so far the closed loop runs right up to 6500rpm at 100% throttles, an all of the markets closed loop mods/tricks have not worked so far on the 790 so this is an area of the mapping that needs to be addressed first, I am just waiting on my OBD2 Euro5 connectors to arrive should be this week so I can make sure I can clear any faults before playing with the tuning, I will be building my own diag cable.

Weight savings so far, I will add more as the weight comes off

OEM Mirrors + bar weights 1145g
Aftermarket Bar end Mirrors = 511g
saving 634g

OEM pipe = 3351
Wings can no baffle = 2187g
Saving = 1164g
Not running baffle weighs = 153g

OEM battery = 3402g
SSB battery Lithium iron = 909g
Saving = 2493 g

OEM bolts removed 1201g
Replaced with Titanium = 600g
More Ti on order
Saving = 601g

Saved

Mirrors & weights = 635g
Titanium bolts Bolts = 601g
Exhaust wings = 1164
Rear pegs = 1684
Battery = 2493
From sprocket 15T = 33g

TOTAL so far = 6610 grams & more to come

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem is we I ride the roads can be really bad & Fiber wheels would never last. My last bike I got all the axles both wheels & swinging arm machined up out of Ti including the spacers between the wheels bearing that saved quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear about the roads. There is always Dymag as an option. Haven't checked to see if they make their UP7X wheels for the 790/890 but I would assume so. A nice weight savings over stock and very durable. A lot of the Isle of Mann racers use them as they are pretty durable.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Almost run in, all washed after todays ride. Tested out my extended gear & foot brake levers, I kept missing the rear bake a few times, no problem today with the longer foot brake lever.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice looking bike, love the exhaust. Covenient you wrote about wider brake pedal. I just bought new boots and I find myself missing the rear brake fairly frequently in them. What did you go with?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts