KTM Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 890R, R1M, R6, CBR1000RR, R1200GS, etc
5 Posts
Hey @Day Trippin and @kevxtx. Thanks for the feedback. She sure is a beauty of a bike. I, like you, have had many go-fast bikes. Current stable includes R6, CBR1000RR, and R1M. The first two are currently track only. Also have an R1200GS, DRZ400, and the old girl in the garage is a VFR800. Recently sold the NSR50 :)

I have a bad habit of wanting to track everything so I'm trying to be disciplined and get a nice streeter. This bike fits the bill. I'm just gonna have to look past the reliability concerns, first KTM and all. Arguments welcome.

As to lightening her up further, I like what you've done, kevxtx. My first thoughts were LI ion, can, and decat. But I'll get her run in first and see where we are.

Couple questions. She is a street bike (to start). Hows the seat? Looks like a nice wide base, but pretty firm. I have gel seats on several of my bikes.

Did you get all the software goodies? Seems like they're all required fitment. Specifically, if you have it, is that a full auto-blip rev matching bit?

Did you feel the one down front sprocket was necessary or just habit?

From whom did you source your titanium bits?

And finally, yeah, I'd really like to go with CF wheels but have the same concerns. This bike seems like it was made to ride on one wheel and the occasional spotty landing might not be friendly to those. I would likely consider those a track mod.

By the way, I hail from southern California. Cheers to all. 2nd post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seat isn't bad. There is a comfort seat if needed. Most I've ridden at one stretch so far was 90 min. I was still good.

Buy all the software. All the goodies are there. The quickshifter is sublime and better than on my Ducatis or BMWs. It does rev match on downshift. The tech package gives you the track mode which allows a lot of customization. Wish they had the quick recall switch with memory settings like the 2020 SDR 1290.

I can't see going down on the front sprocket. I already have an issue with wheelies. The TC contains them but hard on the throttle and the nose is coming up in the first 4 gears. First already seems low and I can launch really hard as it is easy then at 4k front wheel is heading home last a homesick angel.

I am a big guy so probably not going with CF wheels. I'll probably go with Dymag as I've had good luck with them in the past.

As for Ti, I am better off dieting except when it comes to unsprung mass. If you know the sizes, Aliexpress can be your friend if not in a big hurry. Probably will go with a LiON battery or some sort of variant. There are some nice Chinese options for exhausts that look like there could be some nice weight savings. I'll probably leave the motor stock. Unless a tune adds a lot, probably won't bother. A tune on my ZH2 is a totally different temptation. Another 60hp with a flash, now that is what I'm talking about.

I may be in the Bay Area for a while. My SO is looking at a contract there for a while and I might split time between the East and West. If we end up there, the 890 will come along for sure.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I put 600kms on my bike this past weekend just trying to finish the run in & found the seat got to me in the end & will be getting a comfort seat, it is fine for short trips or if stopping frequently, but a few hours in the saddle you will need something better.

I got Track pack, QS & Cruise, I would never use the rest.

If you tracking the bike I would not change the gearing, for my type of riding it is better suited, the bike rides much smoother in the lower RPMs now with less 1 tooth. I have been collecting Ti for years & have an assortment to chose from, I just add to the collection for each bike on what I am missing, photo of trays is after fitting as many bolts to the 890 that I can find.

The extended levers I did for my 1290 now fitted to my 890.

Attachments

·
Registered
KTM 890R, R1M, R6, CBR1000RR, R1200GS, etc
5 Posts
Thank guys. All good info. Love the Ti selection. Also the lovely knurling on that lever. I'm going to keep the stock gearing to start.

I've seen those chinese bits for the decat. They look pretty. Wonder a bit about fitment. Will keep my eyes open. If decat requires remap I may wait a bit to ensure someone has it fully figured out, although I typically go Dynojet and custom dyno map from my local shop.

The Bay Area has some really awesome roads as you know. I've also ridden Infinion Raceway/Sonoma a few times. Fun, challenging track.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Basic Adjustable fuel mod built, plug & play for the open loop mapping, just waiting on the 02 sensor connectors so I can start on the 02 sensor Controller not eliminator for the closed loop.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts