KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 5,000 KM's on the bike. Serviced at 1,000 KM's at KTM. Oil was replaced with 10w50 (4L container). I just used the remaining oil from that 4L container to top up my 1290, probably 350ml. Image below shows the oil level after 4,000km's (post service).

Oil check was done after a ride and only after it had been off for 5 minutes (while holding bike upright on flat surface).

No visible oil leaks on the bike or on the ground in garage.

See second picture for KTM manual info...

The extract from KTM's user manual for this bike shows "Oil consumption depends on the riding style and the operating conditions".

Can anyone with knowledge in this area elaborate on this ? I thought oil levels only dropped if there was a leak or burning off due to a faulty seal, etc....

Ps. I only bothered checking it as I'm just back from a tour and heard a wurring noise mostly noticeable in 4th gear while rpm's in 3.5-4000 range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it back to the dealer....that is too high.
Too High, as in too much oil to lose in the given time frame, riding range ?

Is this info even legit..."Oil consumption depends on the riding style and the operating conditions".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Past the rings is the only place...
Can radiator guards that extend from the left to right, obscuring air flow to the engine header cause it to run hotter than anticipated and/or for longer, in turn causing oil to burn off.
I'm not across this area just thinking about changes I've made that could possibly cause a problem.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I know all the pundits maintain there is no break-in procedure for modern motors, (there's even Youtube vids that attest to this "fact") but I would contend an improperly broken-in engine is much more likely to consume it's lubricant than one treated correctly.
Despite warnings about oil consumption in the owner's manual, mine uses nearly zero oil between changes. 25K, and haven't had to top up yet between changes even though I go 5000 miles before replacement. the reason for 5k intervals? It's easy to remember.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had high oil consumption in the first 5k, which has since reduced significantly to something like 100ml every 2000km or so. Currently at 10000km. Oil consumption was much higher when using Moterex. I use Castrol Power One fully synth 10/50, which definitely reduced oil use dramatically.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
More than likely it took 5K to break the initial glaze on the cylinder walls and then the rings finally bedded in. I used Motorex form the first few changes then switched to Motul 7100. Still very little consumption.

PS I've stayed with 10W60 throughout.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, I have used Motul 7100 in both my new 1290s…as well as thrashing them…:)

Well, now and again…

I certainly give my SAS a good run through the revs every time I ride it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also the more you use overrun the more likely oil will bypsss the valves, and i am forever autoblipping hard on the overrun, occasionally needlessly so 😎

1 - 15 of 15 Posts