KTM Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a 2000 KTM 200 EXC and I am thinking of mounting my EXC engine onto either a KTM 125 or 200 SX chassis, but I am unsure on whether it will be able to fit. I have tried searching the web for the differences between the different years and models but I can't seem to find the information that I need.

Does anyone know if I will be able to do that?

Any information on the differences/compatibility between the years, models would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Sundayclown. I can tell you this as someone who has owned both a 2003 and 2004 (which I currently own and and trying to figure out what to do with) KTM 200 SX, the 200 SX engine is awesome but the frame geometry sucks. It's a shame to have that great engine in that frame. I noticed around 2005 KTM had an ad out on the internet that they were hiring a new (for lack of better words) frame designer. If you're building a project bike, look for a later year model 125 frame. I've been alot of research lately because I want to buy a newer 125 and put my 200 SX engine in it. I want something with linkage on the rear shock. I even saw where a guy modified a Suzuki RMZ frame to accomodate a 200 SX engine and I'm kicking myself because I sold my 2004 KXF 250 for $650 with a blown engine and I could have used that bike for the conversion. The KXF handled way better than the SX but I kept blowing up the 4 stroke engine and I'm not hard on bikes.

I could only take certain lines with the 200 SX wheras the KXF went everywhere and I had alot of confidence on it. I changed the triple clamps and that helped but the 200 SX always wanted to stand up while you were turning. It refused to stay tilted while you were leaning around a turn and it always wanted to high side a turn or jump out of a berm. The seat was jacked way up in the air wheras the KXF was almost level. I nicknamed my 200 SX "The Widow Maker." Very sketchy ride but what a great engine. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Tommywallbanger
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing