KTM Forums banner

KTM 300 EXC

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  augiedoggie 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, from what I'm reading 300s are tough to get jetting right. I bought mine in a box so have no previous info. Carb is clean but runs rich no matter what I do with needle. Going to get a JD kit? But the other problem is to idle the screw is completely in. The slide is in good condition. Help?

#2 ·
Not sure of the particulars of your machine as I didn't notice the year of your bike. The mikuni equipped later models were sometimes tricky to get jetting right. Some guys are claiming JD kit will resolve the mikuni curse, others still curse at them. The 300 is not hard to get fueled right, but your description sounds like you have a defect. Post up year of bike and carburetor specifics(including brand)and your jetting numbers and we will try to help get this sorted. Good luck.

#4 ·
I should have mentioned the first thing to check is inlet needle(float needle) condition and float level. The #40 pilot is not too far off for lower altitudes. Not sure at your's. I suspect your trouble may be a leaky needle or incorrect float setting. Test by shutting off fuel valve when engine is running and observe if it runs better as bowl empties out. JD jetting has any parts you need for your kehin carb. Lots of help here on forum for you as needed. Check back for advice as needed

Reactions: Henryarms77
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.