KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I'll jump right to it. I got a KTM 450 EXC model 2015, with only 38km on the clock (dont ask).
I tought i'd be an easy thing to get it running again (battery dead) but it isnt that simple.

Symptoms:
  • Fuel pump primes
  • Got spark, spraying any sort of start pilot and the engine wants to go
  • Did a full diagnostics, ran all the test and it cleared perfectly (fuel management diagnostic was ok) BUT fault code P1231 stays active
  • It would not fire by any means when, when trying normal operating
  • I even ran the full tree of recommended measuring, resistances and checks for mass leaks =>
  • I ended up with following: Motor managment unit broken (ECU)
One thing i still need to check is if the injector would be clogged for any reason, but then again, after only 38km?
My question; Is this common on these models? i cant seem to grasp the idea of a failed ECU after only 38km.
FYI, the motorcycle was stored as a runner.

Thanks
Glenn

·
Dirt Wizard
4,559 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The injected ktm dirt bikes hate sitting without being run at least once a month.
Worst thing for them is to let them sit.
I would say the pintle in the injector is stuck or blocked with stale fuel.
I thought p1231 was the fuel pump relay? I might be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirt Wizard.
Thanks alot. Tested relays and they operate normally . Right, ill get to dismanteling the throttle body and clean the injector. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dirt Wizard.
Thanks alot. Tested relays and they operate normally . Right, ill get to dismanteling the throttle body and clean the injector. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks
Hey Glenn,

How did you get on with your bike? I am having similar issues with a Freeride I just bought. It came without an ECU, which I have since installed, and does the same as yours. It will run if I squirt engine start in the intake but won't start without.

While I'm here, has anyone fitted a new ECU to a KTM straight out of the box? The bike shop didn't know if the ECU needed to be flashed for the bike or not and suggested I try it first.

I am at the head scratching stage now and without the proper diagnostic gear I might have to put the bike into the shop!!! First bike I haven't been able to fix in 41 years of biking!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,
Been a while and i got good news.
It was clogged injector. I did the "9 volt battery trick" and i got the injector to work again. I say clogged but i could better use the words "stuck". I had to cycle the injector a few times before i heard i "clicking" again.

Hope this helps
Glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Glenn,

I had gotten to that point before I posted - mine was the same but even after freeing it up the bike still didn't run. Thanks for the suggestion though and happy trails!

Thanks,
Anthony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts