KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. FNG here. I recently purchased a power reduction kit for my sons 2019 50sx and cannot seem to find any helpful resources for instructions. I went to begin the installation and found that the carburetor it came with is completely different; the intake and outlet diameters are not the same and the throttle housing is completely different. The exhaust fitting it came with - does this go in the end of the exhaust or at the beginning of the header? I am lost without my YouTube video guidance. Was pretty shocked to find absolutely nothing on the internet. Any help appreciated folks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Power Reduction Kit... Never heard about one. And to be honest I can not se the use for one. Yes, I realise that a new rider will find the 50sx scary! But you can easily reduce any power on these bikes your self:
  • Throttle: You can modify the throttle handle so that the small rider can not open it more than what you want him/her to be able to. Fit something inside the throttle handle that hinders it from going all the way. (You can also buy throttle handles that has a screw on them for this purpose. You can also fit something on top of the throttle body in the carbi that stops it from fully opening the carbi).
  • By reducing how much air the motor gets the power (and speed) goes down. This is easiest done by covering the airfilter with something that does not breathe well (thick material, plastic etc) You can also make a sheet of thin rigid plastic that fits snugly inside the air filter and that has holes in it for some air to go in.
  • By reducing how well the exhaust works (we have all at some stage tried to start our bikes with the washing plug still at the end of the muffler... does not work!) Fit something on the end that reduces the size of the hole of the muffler...
Apart from when you reduce the movement of the throttle handle or the throttle body, you should also adjust the carbi (change jets) as when you reduce the available air that can go in but leave the original main jet the bike will now run rich and you will start failing plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Axzon. I’ll most likely end up doing one or a combo of these. Going to return the kit I got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts