KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ktm 65 sx clutch won’t engage. If you start the bike and shift with the clutch held, bike dies instantly. If you push into first and then beguin to use the clutch normally it seems to free up and work okay. When I look into the oil intake and pull the clutch there is movement between the plates, but it doesn’t disengage engine drive. Pleas help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wekcome to forum

• Check that the master cylinder (on hadlebar) has fluid in it.
  • Take off the clutch plates and cheack for damage/wear.
  • Check clutch basket for ridges from steel plates on the "fingers". If deep ridges the plates will get stuck. You can file away the ridges, but there will be little more noise from the clutch as the plates will now rattle more. Or buy a new clutch basket.
  • Depending on your bikes age, if it is an older one there might be a ball bearing between two pieces of the push rod. If so, make sure you have not lost it!
  • Depending on what motor oil you are using (not talking about the 2 stroke oil you mix in the fuel) some oils are really tacky when motor is cold and do not allow the clutch plates ro slip before the oil is warm.
  • The KTM hydraulic clutches are notoriously hard to air so if you have not managed to get rid of all the air you will not get the full movement of the slave piston that pushes on the rod.
  • There is also a few KTM bikes (a little older ones) that used hydraulic oil in the clutch and not brake fluid. If you put the wrong one in the clutch will not work properly.
  • The master cylinder needs rebuilding now and then. You can buy a rebuild kit and easily do the job your self. Then just make sure you air it properly!! I take off the slave and keep it high in the air when I do this so that I get rid of all air. By pushing the slave piston all the way in you can also get rid off much of the air!
  • If bike was bought used also check that the springs are all same lenght and same springs, as if you mix and match springs you can easily get the pressure plate opening on an angle.
If you still have issues after you have gone through all this come back and we dig deeper.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
My ktm 65 sx clutch won’t engage. If you start the bike and shift with the clutch held, bike dies instantly. If you push into first and then beguin to use the clutch normally it seems to free up and work okay. When I look into the oil intake and pull the clutch there is movement between the plates, but it doesn’t disengage engine drive. Pleas help.
Have a look at my clutch tips in tips and tricks thread for simple advice with your trouble before you get in a panic. Could be a simple problem. And don’t forget to change your transmission fluid

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Ah yeah... forgot to mention. Your clutch description was reversed. Pulling clutch lever will disengage clutch. Releasing lever will engage clutch. Your symptom would be correctly described as the clutch remains engaged and refuses to disengage until it frees up. Common problem. Answer and fix are in tips and tricks here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts