KTM Forums banner

KTM 690 SMC Issues -2012

6K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  cors187 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Having a very bad experience with my first KTM 690 Smc, the bike was bought 2nd hand 7500k miles on it. As soon as i got it i brought it straight to the local KTM dealer to service the engine and get the valve clearance done. (which wasn't done by the previous owner.)

After this was done i had a few rides and notice driving through traffic, Starting and stopping the bike would stall at lights. "in neutral pull clutch hit 1st and it would die immediately". the KTM garage had it 3 times or so and put it to bad fuel. It continued to happen so they then put it down to the clutch (jap part orange fancy clutch) so they have changed it back to the orig part and since then when the bike hits 7000+ rpm there is a winding noise coming from the engine not sure if its the engine or clutch its hard to figure out the point of noise.... only 7+ and if you let off the throttle you can hear like its unwinding (for 2 seconds roughly) , it has been back to the KTM garage and they could not replicate the issue im sure it will happen again next time im riding it.

Has anyone ever had this issue before or any idea what it could be? im really frustrated with the bike so if anyone in Ireland looking its for sale :)..

Thanks Lads, And merry Christmas.

See less See more
#2 ·
After this was done i had a few rides and notice driving through traffic, Starting and stopping the bike would stall at lights. "in neutral pull clutch hit 1st and it would die immediately"
This ones more common. Its usually when the owner messes with something like aftermarket exhaust,fuel map changes, aftermarket air filter.
The stock fueling per se is fine tuned to fuel economy and sometimes doesn't mesh well with the inlet or exhaust change. Typically its the engine stall at the lights etc.

they then put it down to the clutch (jap part orange fancy clutch) so they have changed it back to the orig part and since then when the bike hits 7000+ rpm there is a winding noise coming from the engine not sure if its the engine or clutch its hard to figure out the point of noise.... only 7+ and if you let off the throttle you can hear like its unwinding (for 2 seconds roughly) ,
Thats an interesting description, can you add more detail. Theres some engine builder guys on the forum that might need more info to prick their participation. :wink2:

#3 ·
This ones more common. Its usually when the owner messes with something like aftermarket exhaust,fuel map changes, aftermarket air filter.
The stock fueling per se is fine tuned to fuel economy and sometimes doesn't mesh well with the inlet or exhaust change. Typically its the engine stall at the lights etc.

Thats an interesting description, can you add more detail. Theres some engine builder guys on the forum that might need more info to prick their participation. :wink2:
Sorry I should have included there is a full akrapovic system and was mapped by a KTM dealer before i had it, Since i have it the valve clearance has been done and the rocker arm has been replaced, This is pretty much all that was changed on the bike (performance wise) all other changes seem to be cosmetic... I believe the engines tend to be abit of a nightmare but will admit i know nothing about them myself. I never heard this noise until the old Clutch has been put back onto it.

Ill stick up some pic`s later and if the Irish weather decides to pick up ill go for a spin with the Go pro and upload the video so we can hear the Noise in action..

Thanks for the reply cors187.

#5 ·
Hi DW,

This is not in neutral, the noise is happening 2nd, 3rd gear revs up over 7k haven't tried 4th but will... I tried twice getting it up and pulling the clutch in and pretty sure the noise stopped while the clutch is in but haven't properly tested that theory as when you let the revs off it lasts for less than 2 seconds, so hard to distinguish whether it is the clutch or not.

I will test this better next time im out with the Go pro... hopefully will get some answers answered..

thanks

#7 ·
Lads,

Just back from a spin seemed to get a better test on it.. i seem to get the noise mostly 2nd 3rd gear and hits at 6k RPM if i hold at 6k it will continue to make the noise, Pull clutch and it stops (saying this the revs drop straight away and i can only get the noise to replicate at 6k rpm) so may not necessary be the clutch.. also the noise seems to be coming more from the right side of the bike i had a rider video the go pro and he also heard it more on the right hand side.

Video is uploaded to a Google drive here is the link it should be downloadable, 3min long two different clips you can definitely hear this noise probably more so from the 1st clip..

"https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-V4Hx1DPKLNeG14RUFKeFRURXc/view?usp=sharing" copy paste to browser

appreciate the help lads.

#8 ·
definitely high pitched
Ive got an interesting idea.
USB ear piece .

Get some sticky tape and place the ear piece around the area you think, use tape and fencing wire.
Get your mate in a car or on bike with another ear piece . make a call to him and then ride around stopping and moving it in other areas using the tape and wire.
You will find the source.

#11 ·
hi lads,

sorry about that i was so fixed with saying not on the right i managed to say on the right... The noise IS coming from the left side NOT THE RIGHT (where the clutch plates are)..

what issue are you guys having with the link? have you tried opening with google chrome or firefox assuming your using I.E..

heres another link to try thanks

"https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-V4Hx1DPKLNdGVlSjF0Qjl1Yms?usp=sharing"

PS i cannot post links this is why i have in " " you should copy from https:// and finish at sharing dont paste the quotes into the browser

#12 ·
I listened to the video but I really didn't pick up anything
out of the ordinary. Perhaps because the chase/microphone was on that R1?

#13 ·
ya hoo, I got it to load, dropped the http//. I can hear it. Obviously a little tricky to tell. I gather it never use to make that noise at those revs before? Initially I was thinking counter shaft bearing, but if it does it at the exact same revs in every gear it won't be that. So that would leave your left hand main shaft bearing or maybe the timing chain going slack at revs maybe?

#15 ·
Yeh DW it is 6k RPM every time 1st 2nd 3rd, never heard it before, and it is a noise you defiantly notice. i dont like it dropping to 4th 3rd using high revs for corners the noise just puts me off completely no confidence what-so ever.

sorry to those who cannot hear it ive been away but think im going to strap it to the fork of pegs next ride out. Im just about to send off to the KTM garage so ill see what they say and add your imput DW thanks.

PS 05 - fireblade 1000 :)

#17 ·
PS 05 - fireblade 1000 :)
I new it was a cbr of some sort, r or rr due to the clip on's, tank and front fairing looked a bit slim in the video to be a thou, Thought the dash looked a bit late to be an 05, I must be loosing my touch:frown2:

As for the kato. If it makes the noise at the same rpm in each gear, That rules out any bearing on the counter shaft. I won't bet my left one on it, but I'm thinking left hand main shaft outer bearing.

#18 · (Edited)
thanks DW for the replys, its 05 RR indeed. never had a problem with it keeps telling me i should have went honda!!!:crying2: :/

The bike is going back down to the KTM shop on Thursday they will be testing it on the DYNO to make it replicate in a safe manner, we had it up on an MX stand doh and could not get it to replicate so not sure whats going to happen i will update any way.
One other thing when I originally dropped it down for (it cutting out the original problem) I was told the bike was striped to check the fuel injector/pump etc, which they reported was all fine, after this is when the noise occurred. Is there anything in this area could be causing it?

regards,

#19 ·
That should work.
The 4 pot jap bikes are incredibly reliable, but boring and not unique. Everyone has one. I bet you can go a lot more places on your smc and be a lot quicker on the tight roads.:wink2:

#20 ·
Got news today,

Noise seemed to be coming from the Aluminium skid Plate underneath, and has been refitted and tested and it has not re-occurred so good news. Mus have been the frequency from the engine at certain revs causing this noise, what you think??

and for the stalling issues the throttle sensor has been replaced and been tested for 2 days and has not re-occurred just yet.

thanks for the opinions and suggestions all.

#21 ·
Definitely possible, Makes my original diagnosis seem dumb. I don't know why I didn't think of the simple first. I suppose when I am hit with so many technical questions my brain starts to think of the complicated first. Which goes against everything I was taught as an apprentice.
I usually go for the simple first. I had an instance once where a guy spent hundreds of dollars and went through 3 bike shops to diagnose a bike that would run great for 5 minutes then stop and not start again for hours. He brought it to me and I was the only mech that thought to remove the fuel cap straight after it stopped. I got hit with a massive hiss and pop sound as the tank was released of vacuum. Found the problem, a $10 blocked fuel cap!

#23 ·
typical 690:grin2:

I've had similar sounds, we need more locktite than the average jap owner >:)

On the issue on stalling.. there's an understanding that getting a KTM mapping that's made for a kit containing different camshaft could cause this. im quite sure i almost fixed it by changing battery:)
I've read somewhere about injectors and voltage drops, but i cant produce article to support my statement.0:)

#24 · (Edited)
Sound still gone so thats a good note, Just taught id update (*the bike is still cutting out*) did a 1 hour ride through traffic bike cut out 3 times on me. It cut out once after just taking off drove 2 corners bike was still cold. then next 2 times at lights, once in Neutral kicked into 1st died as soon as hit first. and the other i had the clutch held in and in 1st as moving off just died. Is it possible the fuel could be causing this issue? I last put a full tank in from a Maxol garage before i was using apple-green and told to only use Topaz issue happened a lot less with Topaz fuel but still once every ride or so. What do you guys think? Garage has said the mapped the latest ECU etc and was fine when handing it back but still occurring. Cannot enjoy riding when this is happening.

Regards,
Michael.

*Edit*
When it cuts out its like turning off the ignition, if that makes sense.

#28 ·
It hasn't got a simple vac leak somewhere? No matter how many tunes or maps you do, If your mechanical side is not right your tune won't stay right.
Just out of curiosity, If you had a kickstand switch and or clutch switch that was playing up every now and then, could that cause this issue?

#29 ·
KTM guys have checked the Throttle, fuel pump, clutch and side stand and have advised each time it should be ok now.

I think im going to buy a new battery as the bike is 5 years on now, should it need a change? and what would you guys recommend?

Should probably let you know i have led indicators on the back and the standard indicators on the front im not sure voltage or anything, could this have an effect with stalling?

#32 ·
@ Corsa,

Yes, ive had it happen 2 ways, 1st way coming to a yield right turn, I pulled the clutch in about to let out and accelerate (while rolling) and cut out.

2nd way roll up to lights stop, light goes green about to take off --- and cuts, like someone hit the kill switch.

I re-posted after i went on an hour spin and had it happen 3 times in that one journey and on saturday gone I did 1hr + through busy streets etc didn't cut on me once, how frustrating (still on same tank of fuel).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.