KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2020 790 r and after 900 miles noticed partial loss of clutch performance. After the usual corporate response from KTM reps (have never heard of this problem, yada, yada, yada) I pulled clutch out and examined springs (they had collapsed by .031") which would explain the hair trigger clutch. After examining the clutch drive plates (they measured in tolerance) they are beginning to showed signs of heat discoloration. Bike has had a very gentle break in and minimal off road stresses. I don't believe that it was high enough heat to cause the springs to collapse. My hunch is that it was a heat treatment failure at the factory. I will be testing hardness of springs to verify. Why KTM would design the clutch with only three springs and a stamped sheet metal spring plate that isn't even deburred? 1. Cost saving 2. Arrogance of the engineering team 3. Rush to production dilemma 4. All of the above. We really need to address the 600 lb elephant in the room. The infamous oil jet concern. The orifice size problems as well as overall clutch chamber design. The orifice size appears to be a compromise between, small enough to maintain sufficient oil pressure and large enough to lubrication friction disks. There seems to be a problem at idling conditions ( you can have the clutch cover off and at idle, no oil is redirected to clutch chamber). KTMs lame response, make sure jet is clean and change oil according to recommendations. If you intend on any serious travelling, going 9000 miles without an oil change is tempting fate. I have now removed the OEM clutch and installed a Rekluse clutch and will post my observations.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow. Hard to believe that this was not caught in production. Unfortunately what is known to happen in production is the bean counters get involved and they start trying to cut cost. I have a 19 Adv R and I certainly do put the clutch through it’s paces as I am 6’ 5” 270 lbs. I have 2,000 miles on mine. Would have ridden more but I had two back surgeries so I road fall only. First surgery on June 20th , back on bike late August Then another surgery on Jan 5th. Dam it I am falling apart. I will look into this. How much are you looking at for a recluse clutch? I just may be preemptive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$800 for Rekluse. Headed to ride Baja next week, will see how it holds up. Bringing spare clutch and springs just in case. I checked a buddies 790 and after 950 miles his springs are just within tolerance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I may take a look at this, pull cover and see what I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts