KTM Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 890 Adventure 2021
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please check if you can move the rear break assembly at all? I can move mine about 2mm. That is after changing tires. But that procedure does not really require touching rear breaks. So I am a bit puzzled. Compared to front breakes... those are solid like one metal piece... Thank you

·
Registered
314 Posts
My DRZ‘s rear brake assembly moves forward and aft a lot, but my KTM‘s doesn’t. I haven’t had any problems when removing the wheel or adjusting the chain tension. I‘m on my 3rd rear tire, 2nd chain and sprockets, and replaced the rear brake pads, but original rotors and front pads. 2019 790R with over 24k miles.

·
Registered
790R, KLX350, Canyon Enduracer, Santa Cruz
116 Posts
Why would one move the rear brakes when changing a tire?
I removed my rear tire of my 790R, the rear brakes move front to rear on rails if necessary.

·
Registered
KTM 890 Adventure 2021
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies.
@Durielk you are right, one does not need to move the breaks. However, when the rear wheel spindle is removed the rear breaks assembly is freed too. When I put it back and tightened I can still move the rear breaks assembly laterally slightly. The question is whether this is fine. Comparing, the front assembly is solid like a rock. Just did a 100mi after change. Seems fine. Breaks good too. I guess this is fine.

·
Registered
790R, KLX350, Canyon Enduracer, Santa Cruz
116 Posts
OK, why would this not be normal.
The rear brakes are different, there is no chain adjustment on the front which requires lateral (F/R) movement. Better to ask a question though, since one is traveling down the road at brake neck speed!
Did you use a torque wrench on the rear wheel? I'm in the middle of changing the rear tire, I could hardly loosen the nut with a breaker bar, after tightening it earlier with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
KTM 890 Adventure 2021
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for your replies! I've added a few hundred miles since, including off road. It did not cause any trouble.
OK, why would this not be normal.
The rear brakes are different, there is no chain adjustment on the front which requires lateral (F/R) movement. Better to ask a question though, since one is traveling down the road at brake neck speed!
Did you use a torque wrench on the rear wheel? I'm in the middle of changing the rear tire, I could hardly loosen the nut with a breaker bar, after tightening it earlier with a torque wrench.
yeah, I bought the torque wrench for that specifically. I didn't have any trouble loosening the rear wheel nuts. The front wheel break assembly made me sweat a bit. But that one uses the stopping nut gel, hence some extra effort is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts