KTM Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellooo,

So my buddy bought this Yamaha Banchee?(I think) with a weird-looking 2-stroke on it. I think it's pretty cheap for what he got but neither here nor there. he's asking me for some help since apparently, I've become the neighborhood mechanic. I basically told him I'm not all too caught up on two strokes but I'm confident in my skills and my ability to learn quickly so I wanna figure out how to get this thing working for him so that he can use it and let his little girls play on it and ****('scuse the colorful words). It's got spark and I sprayed some gas in the intake and down the engine thru the spark plug but it's not doing anything. It seems to have compression cuz I cover the spark plug hole with my thumb and it built up pressure. I don't think these should be THAT difficult to get up and running. Wtf lol. So I'm kinda at a standstill right now between my wits and lack of proper tools. One nut is stopping me from just taking the entire head off this thing and checking out the insides. Also the part the is used for the plunger on the right side of the engine is not on in the picture but it was on and I think functioning while the starting process of the engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Hello and welcome. My best advice is advise your friend to scrap that project before wasting any more money or time on it. Sell it or scrap it. You will surely find the cost of parts to make that thing run are far more costly than he might spend on a running machine. Not to mention cost of labor and bandages and beer. My best advice to you is get a compression tester for engine testing. Your finger is not a suitable compression tester. You will need proper tools to proceed with this sort of work. Use your finger for turning the pages of a service manual if needed. We can possibly help with service manual and engine identification if needed but need engine and frame numbers. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: DW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a video of it running so I'm guessing it should run. I found out that the frame is for an 03 Yamaha Blaster with originally a 195CC engine. The number on the engine says D106-116506. And yea I mean I'm assuming it is a smaller engine my thumb might have been okayish enough to test and see if it's even holding something. But yea regardless I do need a proper tester for other work anyway. I should check my ZX7R. Also, I love my Haynes manuals. I should get one for 2-strokes. If only I can find out wtf this motor is. I told my buddy about it and he's persistent on getting this thing running. I also mentioned to him that maybe it'll be better just to scrap but he's just wanting to get it running as just a **** beater for his little girls just to play with. he only spend 150 on it and besides he and I just ****ing around with it we haven't really invested much into it. at least on my end. I'm just letting him have access to my tools and what limited knowledge I have. as well as research and asking others online for some help and advice.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Well good on you for accepting the challenge getting this mess running for your friend. A few ideas for you. Take the numbers on piston and check against your online wiseco piston application chart. This can help your identification. Your engine size is usually marked on base of cylinder. Looks like yours is 85cc. Pull cylinder off and check rod and crank bearings and determine if crank is reusable. Have a good look at cylinder for scoring by the exhaust port. Once you identify this thing you can start sourcing parts for it. Good luck

·
Dirt Wizard
4,564 Posts
Excuse me for being dumb here, but where's the carby? If you're just spraying sh-t down it's throat without some kind of choke or partial blockage I don't think it's gonna do sh-t.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yea I figured that. My buddy took it off and cleaned it since it was all dirty and gunky on the inside. So I kinda decided to call it a night after we got the carb cleaned and ****. gonna have to get some gas for it then

·
Super Moderator
2,491 Posts
Well, yea I figured that. My buddy took it off and cleaned it since it was all dirty and gunky on the inside. So I kinda decided to call it a night after we got the carb cleaned and ****. gonna have to get some gas for it then
  • Take off the black rubber inlet where the carbi goes. I have a suspicion that there is a set of reed valves behind it. If there is, have a good look at them to see if they are OK or damaged. Do not bend the steel bits inside the reed cage as this will change the functioning of the reeds.
  • It also looks like the motor has a power valve (PV) on the outlet side. This one needs to work properly for you to be able to start the engine.
  • The piston has had a hard life! Can you turn the motor so that the piston is at the bottom of the stroke and then take a pic of the cylinder bore to see what condition it is in.
  • A picture of the cylinder head would be good! (show inside of cylinder head also).
  • The motor has similarities to a 2 stroke KTM (PV, O-rings as head gaskets, reeds), but many 2 stroke engines have the same setup these days.
  • It is a water cooled engine (the jackets in the cylinder tells us this). So if you get the motor going you will need radiators to cool the water down so engine does not seize. There will be a water pump behind the water inlet in to the motor.
  • Is there a combustion chamber/header pipe and a muffler?
  • Use 2 stroke fuel (buy fuel from a petrol station and mix it with 2 stroke oil at 40:1, preferably fuel that does not have ethanol in it).
  • You will also need gearbox oil (I assume there is a gearbox in the motor...) In any case the clutch will need to run in oil.

And you will also need a bucket full of good luck!!

Reactions: Link3

·
Registered
2015 SDR, 2010 250xc-f, 2007 wr450f, 2016 Can am Renegade 1000 xmr, 2001 WS6, 2006 ZO6, 2006 GTO
19 Posts
Sir,
I think that is a blaster. Bashees are parallel twins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts