KTM Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a bit of a fit at KTM UK! :oops:

Background.....when I bought my Gem3 SDR end of August I ordered various Power Parts items including the Fly Screen Product Code: 61708908044 (£78.00) which finally arrived (tank protection kit still outstanding but that's another matter).
The three 'screws' for fitting the screen had a really poor (cheap/nasty) finish so I emailed the dealer with a photo and asked for replacements.....due to Covid/furloughs they asked that I contact KTM direct which I did.

It's like wading through treakle dealing with KTM Support UK, serveral messages exchanged before I get this last reply:

KTM UK said:
Dear Mr Williams,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to confirm that M&P have incorrectly referred you to us. This is not a matter KTM UK can help with as all parts orders are fulfilled by our dealership network, additionally, all issues with parts have to be taken up with your supplying dealer in line with their returns policy. Therefore, we can only recommend you contact another member of staff at M&P if Keith Fender has been furloughed.

We have checked our warranty database regarding the Flyscreen – Part number 61708908044 – and found no reported issues or previous claims in relation to the finish of the screws. This would leave us to conclude that the finish was damaged by using an ill-fitting tool or not torqued to the correct setting as detailed in the fitting manual: 3.5Nm (2.58 lb ft). As stated in our last email, unfortunately, such damage does not qualify as a warranty claim unless the installation (workmanship) was completed by an authorised KTM dealer. However, given the backorder delay of the Flyscreen, KTM will as a one-off gesture of goodwill, cover the cost of 3 replacement screws (M5x14 – Part number 60708008071). With this in mind, please contact M&P, who have been informed of our goodwill gesture and will be able to order the screws for you upon receiving your call/email.

We trust this response is to your satisfaction and wish you safe riding.

Kind regards,

KTM UK Customer Service Team
KTM SPORTMOTORCYCLE UK LTD
www.ktm.com
Ref:MSG2619739
......to which I have responded:

AndyW said:
I will keep this brief!
I am somewhat angry at your accusation ('conclusion' reached) that I damaged the screws!...
1) As I said (at least once)....."the screws were received in the condition shown i.e. brand new items unused as packaged by KTM."
2) The poor finish described (and shown in my photo) is not even commensurate with damage that might be done on installation.
3) Really unprofessional of you to make such an accusation whatever your opinion. (especially as such an opinion has been formed on this occasion due to your not having property read/understood my clear description of the issue)
So...
Disappointed to have received the sub-standard fasteners in the first instance and VERY disappointed with your response (attitude).

At least the screws are being replaced FOC.
o_O

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just get to the hardware store and buy 3 new button head torx if it's really bothering you....probably bout $1.50
At least they didn't scratch the screen! 🙄
Hell we can't even get that screen in the states yet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
......(Something something....being right vs being happy). I forgot how that phrase goes and yes, but by the looks of it.... the screws are substandard in finish/quality as you suggest.

Now take a moment to look at all of the other fasteners on your bike. What did you find? I am not sure why to expect more, based on ****e finish/quality of their current fastener selection but let us humor this a moment. You have put yourself through a great deal of frustration and very much at risk of damaging a relationship with KTM UK in the event of needing something later worth your time by blowing off rightful steam on them. KTM suffer bigger problems, and frequently....and through your righteous rant to them....you may have risked a good-will decision later in your favor for one of the many other plaguing problems we face to enjoy such a fabulous machine.

Are you in the right? Yes. I agree you are.
Is it worth the effort and trouble thus far? No, not in my opinion.

Pro-bolt in the UK will suit you right up with something nicer and for next to nothing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right but my hackles were up and I couldn't let go being accused of damaging the finish of the bolts myself!

The quality of the bolts is a disappointment but the response from KTM UK is just plain unacceptable IMO.

Replacing the screws/bolts with decent quality items will be easier said than done.....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
tempest in a teapot

Reactions: Clogan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
👍😊......I'm a fussy bastard, if something ain't right I'm going to say so.....no excuse or reason for the accusation from the KTM guy that I damaged the fasteners! 😠

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
......(Something something....being right vs being happy). I forgot how that phrase goes and yes, but by the looks of it.... the screws are substandard in finish/quality as you suggest.

Now take a moment to look at all of the other fasteners on your bike. What did you find? I am not sure why to expect more, based on ****e finish/quality of their current fastener selection but let us humor this a moment. You have put yourself through a great deal of frustration and very much at risk of damaging a relationship with KTM UK in the event of needing something later worth your time by blowing off rightful steam on them. KTM suffer bigger problems, and frequently....and through your righteous rant to them....you may have risked a good-will decision later in your favor for one of the many other plaguing problems we face to enjoy such a fabulous machine.

Are you in the right? Yes. I agree you are.
Is it worth the effort and trouble thus far? No, not in my opinion.

Pro-bolt in the UK will suit you right up with something nicer and for next to nothing.
I thought several of the fasteners on my bike must have corroded while crossing the ocean, until I realized KTM had installed cheap-*** galvanized fittings!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah a little black paint would sort it out, surely. Or drop Probolt a line, as MishMash said.
My opinion totally, everyone ends up buying after market bolt kits for their bikes it's just what we do.

I understand you are pissed off but seriously a few bolts shouldn't upset your ownership of your ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts