KTM Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all ktm owners..
I have a stalling problem with my ktm duke 690 2008. Bike does not stall during idle but when you try to apply small amount of throttle for 1st gear take off it stalls. During idle try to open throttle by very small amounts Very slowly and you can hear engine running irregular or even stall. At the stalling you can hear a “paf
I have check the tps positions and volts. What else can be the problem? Please i am trying to find a solution 2 months.
Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: Have you checked fuel filter? how many miles on bike, need info on the bike..
Thank you for your quick response.
The bike has 30.000 km but i had change my fuel pumb and filter before 2 years. I have done all the following :
1) Adjusting tps sensors to defualt settings.
2) 15 minutes idle reset

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had never any problem with stalling. Now this problem is like i explained before. Bike stalls when you try to apply small amount of throttle for 1st gear and when this happen you can hear a sound like "paf" !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cool: Do you have a way to check the fuel presure? did you set the tps with volt meter?
Ihave set the tps with tuneecu programm . The fuel presure is the next thing that i was thinking to do. But i thing that the fuel pump and the filter are ok because the bike runs perfect while idling and has perfect acceleration.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:cool: Have you checked the plugs? is this a problem that just started and you have been ridding all along or just got the bike running from storage? how old is the fuel? can you take her for a ride to get it up to normal temp?, what mods are done? sorry for all the questions , I am trying to get the jist of what and when it happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cool: Have you checked the plugs? is this a problem that just started and you have been ridding all along or just got the bike running from storage? how old is the fuel? can you take her for a ride to get it up to normal temp?, what mods are done? sorry for all the questions , I am trying to get the jist of what and when it happened.
I am running the bike every day and all the year. Is not the fuel. It happens at all mods the same. I have check the plugs yes and is everything ok.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:cool: Have you used any fuel additive, like sea-foam? I will check through the troubleshooting and get back to ya later ,I have a 18 690 Duke and only have 6800 miles on , I checked the valves at 1000 miles and do 1200-1500 mile oil changes, love the power of this girl, I went up 2 teeth on the rear and added Kevs o2 controller to help with the lean lower rpm stumble,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:cool: Have you used any fuel additive, like sea-foam? I will check through the troubleshooting and get back to ya later ,I have a 18 690 Duke and only have 6800 miles on , I checked the valves at 1000 miles and do 1200-1500 mile oil changes, love the power of this girl, I went up 2 teeth on the rear and added Kevs o2 controller to help with the lean lower rpm stumble,
I have my 690 duke 2 years. It was my favorite bike by my teen age years and until today i think tha is the most beutiful bike that ktm ever maked! Sorry but i haven't hear before for the sea - foam.No i have not ever used any fuel additive. I need to find a solution for this problem because my bike is perfect at all

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
G'day Charissoup,

30K kms = 18,750 miles for all these riders who aren't metricated like you and me ;);). This is a KTM major service point for my 1290SDGT so I assume the 690 would be similar........ :unsure:

So if it's not fuel, or fuel filter/pump related, (ethanol in petrol does cause problems with seals and plastic tanks etc) nor a service related issue (airfilter, plugs due? -usually at 30k kms on KTM's with Iridium's) then could it be a failing camshaft follower bearing causing the valves to not open properly?

I'm just guessing of course, but there have been the odd posts in here about 690's with cam follower failures, so it might be worth inspecting yours.

Check your battery - I know,...... blame the battery,........ but if it's 2 yrs old it may be failing, or the connections may need tightening.

Good luck, hope it's not too expensive whatever it turns out to be.. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
G'day Charissoup,

30K kms = 18,750 miles for all these riders who aren't metricated like you and me ;);). This is a KTM major service point for my 1290SDGT so I assume the 690 would be similar........ :unsure:

So if it's not fuel, or fuel filter/pump related, (ethanol in petrol does cause problems with seals and plastic tanks etc) nor a service related issue (airfilter, plugs due? -usually at 30k kms on KTM's with Iridium's) then could it be a failing camshaft follower bearing causing the valves to not open properly?

I'm just guessing of course, but there have been the odd posts in here about 690's with cam follower failures, so it might be worth inspecting yours.

Check your battery - I know,...... blame the battery,........ but if it's 2 yrs old it may be failing, or the connections may need tightening.

Good luck, hope it's not too expensive whatever it turns out to be.. (y)
DaveAu thank you for your response!
My engineer had open the top of the engine before some months for valves clearance. Then i had the same problem problem and he said that everything is like new. So is not something from the top of engine!
Thank you

·
Registered
370 Posts
:cool: Try cleaning the throttle body, and resetting the tps as per your book, And sorry to Dave for just guessing on the mileage in miles not km, When your bud checked the valves , did he remove anything or just check with feeler guages??Because you need to roll the rocker bearings to check for roughness, I would replace them every 15000 miles,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bluechain i will try to clean the throttle body on my own. Is it ok with a carbilator cleaner spray? My camshaft , valves and everything at the top of engine is in very good codition i had check all that before 2 months!
The next thing that i will do is to clean the throttle body and reset it again to the factory settings! Also i will check the fuel presure !
As i told you before the problem is only when i try to open slowly a very small amount of throttle . At all the rest guctions the performance of my bike is perfect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts