KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was keep getting the error 24 which meant the bike was overheating. It was not - the issue could happen when bike stands still. It happened at extremely random times, when it is -10c or when it is +10c.

After putting this bike for a rest for few months. I tried riding again, and now I am getting error 45. The symptoms are exactly the same - I ride or not, the bike starts beeping the error code and stops the engine. I cannot ride it for random time, afterwards, It rides again for a couple minutes. It is the issue that is engine-load independent, I can ride it slow, be stopped or ride it fast.

I contacted 4 country dealers, nobody can help. I wrote to KTM, but they didn't respond.
The nearest dealer is 220km away in Denmark, and they charge so much that it is simply not worth fixing the bike. It has 7000km.

I tried changing many parts, luckily my friend bought the same bike.
I replacing these parts and checked components and the issue remained:

-Small battery (used from friend, he has no issues)
-Big battery
-Relay under the small battery

• I checked the water pump - it works, it is not cracked or is jammed
  • Checked the main computer for damage
  • Checked the wiring

I opened the engine case and if I remember the engine itself. I could not see any visual damage.

Anyone experience error 45 or 24?

I got some info from Facebook group. One guy had overheating issue. The dealer in US said it is one of the two temperature sensors. When I opened the engine, I could not see any sensors. Anyway, the dealer did not replace the sensor, but got a whole engine replaced. The guy was lucky as he was still under the warranty. Mine should be replaced too, it didn't drove more than what any Chinese scooter can handle...I bought this bike used,3-4 years ago. It has 7000km now.

ps. KTM doesn't sell the motor separately, nor inner components. The only thing you can buy is the main computer which costs over 3000 euros....

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have no knowledge of the E-XC Freeride. But it does sound like there is a faulty temperature sensor. You might already have all this, but I looked for info for you and here what I have found (as you have not told us what year the bike is I had to guess that it is somewhere between a 2016 - 2018 bike):

And if everything else fails, here a Electric Motorcycle Forum: ElectricMotorcycleForum.com - Index

If/when you solve the issue please come back and tell us what you did to fix it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. I already looked for sensors, couldn't find in any diagram.

I have dissasembled the bike again. Currentl, I want to take out the electric engine from the engine case.
I might need special tools, but for starters I need long 32mm socket that I will try to find tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum. I have no knowledge of the E-XC Freeride. But it does sound like there is a faulty temperature sensor. You might already have all this, but I looked for info for you and here what I have found (as you have not told us what year the bike is I had to guess that it is somewhere between a 2016 - 2018 bike):

And if everything else fails, here a Electric Motorcycle Forum: ElectricMotorcycleForum.com - Index

If/when you solve the issue please come back and tell us what you did to fix it!

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. I already looked for sensors, couldn't find in any diagram.

I have dissasembled the bike again. Currentl, I want to take out the electric engine from the engine case.
I might need special tools, but for starters I need long 32mm socket that I will try to find tomorrow.
View attachment 107753
There is a chance that the bikes computer has a check of the resistance of the parts. As example the motor windings. So if they would become too low you get a fault code. And if there was a broken/burnt winding/wire giving infinite reading (open circuit) same would happen. Then again, it could be as simple as a short to earth somewhere causing it.

Lack of sensors would indicate that the bikes computer keeps an eye on the current and if/when it becomes too high it will indicate that the motor is too hot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could there be water damage/moisture in?
In that case I would sumberge the whole thing in distilated water, but it would be hard to dry it out after.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Could there be water damage/moisture in?
In that case I would sumberge the whole thing in distilated water, but it would be hard to dry it out after.
Hmm... you could put it in your oven on say 40 - 50 degrees Celsius for a couple of hours to dry it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found one problem. Not sure if it was the one that was causing the problem though. My ecu is leaking coolant trought the seal. There are 4 screws that tightens these plates from the top and squeezea the seal. However, I don't thing it should leak trough here anyway. I will submerge my ecu in distilated water to clean it from any remaining coolant on electronics if any, and reseal this plate if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on the motor?
Late to the party but looking in the 2022 owners manual code 24 is Overtemp of the PowerPack HV, Action just says let it cool.
As for 45 it says, Malfunction in the electric motor. Action - Switch the main switch off and on.
Not very helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, no update. I checked the manual and stuff many times. Also bought the repair manual.

I put the bike away for now. There is a dealer 220km away, but it will charge so much, it is not worth repaiting and bringing the bike. Other, nearest dealer is in other country, might charge less but the trip is very expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, no update. I checked the manual and stuff many times. Also bought the repair manual. Btw, it is not overheating, it can happen at any temperature at any time. I tried other PowerPack, almost crashed when engine cut off sudenly.

I put the bike away for now. There is a dealer 220km away, but it will charge so much, it is not worth repaiting and bringing the bike. Other, nearest dealer is in other country, might charge less but the trip is very expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts