Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi recently bougt a ktm 200 exc

basically did the top end replaced the base and head gasket -
-Filled the gearbox oil
-gave it a 10 minute warm up and found the sump bolt was loose and leaking
-
i Then removed it and drained oil and it was all milky as water has been mixing ?

I really dont know what to do and what do i replace ?

whats the most common problem or possible problems as im just gutted :/

Thanks for all your help
Dawud

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My guess, bad water pump seal.

All you gotta do is pop the water pump, take it apart, replace the seals and put it back together again. Honestly, there really isn't anything else it could be, thats the only spot where the water and the cases join anywhere near the gearbox.

I got this from another forum, but it's pretty good info:

First, get it mounted in a padded vice, not too tight.

Loosen and remove the center bolt, and CAREFULLY wiggle the impeller off the shaft. It’s fiber-plastic, so DON’T be tempted to pry it off with a screwdriver!

Here’s the pieces-parts disassembled.

With the housing mounted back in the padded vice, the next step is to use a screwdriver or punch to lever out the rubber seal.

Once you get the seal out, clean up the housing, and the water pump shaft ends. Take a look at the shaft, and if it’s grooved, it’s time for a replacement. Take a look at the bearing too. Are they smooth and silent running like mine, or are they rough and noisy. If rough and noisy, it’s time to replace these too!

When everything is cleaned up, grease the inside of the housing, and the outside of the new seal. Get it started square with the bore, and drive it home.

Grease the shaft, and slide it in from the back side.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Slip the impeller back on the shaft, lining up the “double-d” slot. Add a little Loctite 243, and snug the bolt home, remember, this is plastic, not too tight!

Slip the drive gear back on the shaft, lighting up the hex drive, and then drop the assembly back into the bottom end.

Clean up the water pump housing face, and add the large and small O-rings to the water pump and case grooves, a dot of Belray waterproof grease is good to hold them in place during assembly.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Drop in the bolts, again, adding some Loctite 242 to make sure they stay there………………
WAIT! What are those two holes for? Oh, yeah, I’ve been meaning to safety wire that drain plug for a while, so now’s the time! Since I never use the oil height check plug (it strips out REALLY EASILY!), and the oil drain on this side, I safety wired those too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the write up

i think this should be stickyed for other people that need help

ordered the seals today should get them fitted next week
thank you everybody

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thank you so much for the write up

i think this should be stickyed for other people that need help

ordered the seals today should get them fitted next week
thank you everybody
No prob! Its funny I found this write-up on ktmtalk and saw your thread 5 minutes later!!! Quite the coincidence! ;)

Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/two-strokes/3386-ktm-exc-200-2002-milky-gearbox-oil-w

Thanks. I too have coolant in the trainmission oil in my EXC 1995 300.
And this time I didn't fall off in the middle of the creek to get water in the oil.
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
bill-h_
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing