KTM Forums banner

ktm exc 300 won't shift gear

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  augiedoggie 
#1 ·
Hey.
I have a ktm exc 300 from 2013.
It has trouble changing gears at high speeds. I have to take the clutch and let rpm fall and then I can change gear.

Has anyone tried that?

#2 ·
Shifty guy

I suspect you could have trouble inside transmission if your trouble is your bikes inability to shift all gears without clutch. Most modern bikes upshift and downshift under full power without clutch use or without chopping throttle. Hopefully you checked transmission fluid. Make sure your shifter bolt is tight. I would also check and make sure your chain is tensioned correctly. Too tight a chain can bind the countershaft bearings and cause trouble. Maybe drain your transmission fluid into a clean container and check for silver metallic particles. I suspect you could have trouble in your shift mechanism or possibly a bearing failure in transmission. Perhaps start your diagnosis with inspection of your transmission fluid and report your results here. Post pictures if possible

Reactions: JoKP
#3 ·
the problem is solved. a gasket was missing between the engine and clutch cover. it made the cover get closer to the engine and it all got too tight inside.
it's the previous owner who forgets to mount the gasket.

I had to have a ktm mechanic look at it and he found the fault. he had to change the push rod. nothing else had broken.

#5 ·
Thanks for posting back your success. Lots of riders check here for solutions to problems like your bike had. You probably saved someone some trouble and grief if they struggle with similar troubles and look here for help. Best regards

Reactions: JoKP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.