KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Whenever these come to Canada it looks to be my next bike purchase - what do you guys think? Been building a little single track in my backyard for practice and playing around with the dogs and stuff but the 4-strokes i currently own are loud and obnoxious to the neighbours.

Pro's - little to no maintenance except chain + sprockets every so often. Tires ok sure. No oiling filters every ride, no oil changes every 8 hours, no valve adjustments or catastrophic engine failures, piston replacement, coolant leaks and the list go's on.

Con's - battery life. Seems to be getting better. No braaap ok, not a problem, have the 4T's for that.

Been looking at Oset electric trials bike, Savage E-bikes and looks like Segway even has an electric dirt bike out now but would like to keep it orange as you guys know.

Has anyone rid one??? Please share.

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed they've started landing at the Canadian dealerships but the price...whoaa! $14,400 + tax + PDI and we're over $17,000 OTD! Can get a fully loaded to the nuts 500EXC 6-days edition or SX factory edition for that price but hey - new technology right?

80 minute charge time but nothing concrete on how long of actual riding time - 2 hours or so I'd imagine? Will pass until the next generation comes out or find a smoking deal 2nd hand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just checked with my KTM dealer who tells me that these bikes are still made from unobtainium. He can't get them in the US and says they're "testing the market" here with just a few having been sold. No idea when...

I recently got in to trials riding and have a Beta EVO 2T. I rode a few weekends ago with a guy that had an EM trials bike. Other than having no clutch, that thing rocked every bit of riding we all did in skills training and did it without making a sound. I could ride a lot more around closer to home if I could do it in a stealthy manner so I'm really intrigued by this E-Ride for my single track enduro type rides.

Reactions: IDTrav

·
Registered
93 Posts
Apparently, the E-Ride is available in the US but just at limited dealers. For some reason, I can't get this bike out of my mind....

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently, the E-Ride is available in the US but just at limited dealers. For some reason, I can't get this bike out of my mind....
We never got one at our local dealer in town but while I was on vacation last week I stopped in at another KTM dealer a province away and they had one sitting on the showroom floor so finally got to see it in the flesh.

They've sold (2) so far to people on acreages getting too much unwanted attention from their neighbors. So far both guys have been quite happy with them.

• supposedly 80km range but unsure if that is wide open or lolly-gagging around
  • spare battery is $4500
  • any problems the motor gets shipped to california so you're out a bike for the summer
  • no more foot brake. It's located where the clutch is so would confuse the hell out of a guy after switching back and forth between gas jobs and going to log hop and pull the clutch lol
  • requires 210V (?) generator so most likely will need to purchase one of those if you're taking it camping
  • did i mention earlier - almost $17K out the door!
If I had a ton of disposable income there'd be one in my garage right now but will be a hard pass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own one. I bought a 2017 used from a the guy that bought it new when ktm was doing their first American market test. When I bought it, it still looked practically new the guy had only put 500 miles on it the three years he had it (stock everything). I resprung it for my weight added my preferred pegs and it was perfect and I’ve put 500 miles on it in since I got it 6 months ago. I loved it there’s nowhere that I couldn’t go and almost nothing it couldn’t do. It came climb any hill and it’s always got torque. It might not win supercross but it’s definitely the most fun play bike I’ve ever had. I would recommend them to anyone that rides they’re just fun. But a few days ago it started showing a code and not running and it seems like no one knows anything about them or how to fix them as I have yet to find anyone that can even tell me what the code means so I can’t even begin trying to fix it. THATS A BIG CON. but the guy I bought from said it had never had a problem so this is the first time it’s needed any service in 1,000 miles for a dirt bike that’s awesome so ktm just needs to step up support for these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,474 Posts
Welcome to forum. Thanks for first hand info about bike. Please let us know re what you learn about the fault codes and how you got this sorted, when you do!

·
Super Moderator
1,474 Posts
I own one. I bought a 2017 used from a the guy that bought it new when ktm was doing their first American market test. When I bought it, it still looked practically new the guy had only put 500 miles on it the three years he had it (stock everything). I resprung it for my weight added my preferred pegs and it was perfect and I’ve put 500 miles on it in since I got it 6 months ago. I loved it there’s nowhere that I couldn’t go and almost nothing it couldn’t do. It came climb any hill and it’s always got torque. It might not win supercross but it’s definitely the most fun play bike I’ve ever had. I would recommend them to anyone that rides they’re just fun. But a few days ago it started showing a code and not running and it seems like no one knows anything about them or how to fix them as I have yet to find anyone that can even tell me what the code means so I can’t even begin trying to fix it. THATS A BIG CON. but the guy I bought from said it had never had a problem so this is the first time it’s needed any service in 1,000 miles for a dirt bike that’s awesome so ktm just needs to step up support for these bikes.
You might already have this, but here a list of fault codes: Troubleshooting; Vehicle Troubleshooting - KTM Freeride E-SX Owner's Manual [Page 112] | ManualsLib

1 - 8 of 8 Posts