KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 GT is leaking brake fluid between the calipers. I took the two halves apart to clean and I realized the two halves are metal on metal with no gasket. When I put it back together, I noticed the fluid leaks from the top when I apply rear brake pressure.

I torques the two bolts holding the halves together up to 60 nm and I’m afraid to go any further. I also double checked nothing foreign was between the calipers (used brake cleaner and sandpaper to really clean the metal contact surface).

I have a bad feeling I wasn’t even supposed to take the calipers apart since the KTM don’t even see those two bolts individually.

Any suggestion is appreciated before I’m forced to buy new brake calipers for $160.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
There probably is some type of sealer, such as Wellseal that should be used between the caliper halves. I think your last statement before the link is on the money. You might want to resurface those two faces with very fine emery paper on top of a sheet of glass to ensure flatness of the mating surfaces. That little bit of sanding you did likely removed the old sealer and could possibly have un-flattened the surfaces.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
G'day hobbes3,

Have a look at the 'workshop manual' - there's a link for a free download in the "Treasure Trove of Links" thread at the top of the SD index page.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out from someone who works at Brembo that the halves aren’t designed to be split at all. So I’ll see if I can salvage it. Otherwise I’ll just buy a new set of calipers for like $160. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually more news: turns out there are o rings between the calipers so I was able to find a pair that fit perfectly in between. After tightening to a random value of 40ish nm (couldn’t find torque specs anywhere) they don’t leak... so far.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice save! Please be careful testing that roadworthiness of that caliper and yeah, don't take then apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts