KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some stuff from buddies about KTM bikes and I wanted to check and see if these comments are actually factual...

I've heard that the suspension doesn't stack as well as the yamaha or honda and I've also been told the parts are costly.

Any truth to these comments?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, ok I've heard too that the cost for parts can be pricey (quality costs), but I tend to think the suspension talk is more prejudice for a brand than anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as it is a newer model (2006-2008 and up) the suspension is BETTER then kyb,showa,and all jap when properly set up.I am always messing with my sxf suspension and the guys that have riddin my bike at track think its wayy better then honda.Parts are expensive because of shipping,but as for quality they out last any thing from japan easily.My bikes been through some bad wrecks from hitting quads that stop dead on the track on landings,to casing jumps and hitting trees at croom and the most thats ever happend is my front wheel bearings and steering tower bearings shattering.The gas cap issues are over as well.But its mostly what you feel comfertable riding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've heard some stuff from buddies about KTM bikes and I wanted to check and see if these comments are actually factual...

I've heard that the suspension doesn't stack as well as the yamaha or honda and I've also been told the parts are costly.

Any truth to these comments?
Hilarious! Unless they are running expensive aftermarket Ohlins kit, the standard White Power suspension will kick their collective arses every time.
The only issue is setup and that goes for the aftermarket stuff as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, hugehead. Some of your statements are proven true, some parts are really costly. Nothing in this world is now at a cheap rate. You see, prices are rising and surely, motorcycle parts' price are also rising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK but also i dont care if they are little costly (if quality is ok) also i know that set of plastics aroun tank is so much cheaper than japs:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
KTM truths

!
Ay, Hugehead, even tho I haven't owned a KTM yet, I do have an '08 KTM SD 990 demo with 1K mi on it, on order and coming in days - can hardly wait! Anyway, I've done a substantial amount of both product and model study (and test ride of course) prior to making this decision. I always do before a bike purchase. What I found is that KTM is absolutely 'top shelf' in durable quality parts throughout! They'd have to in order to have such an amazing ultra-rough off-roading winning record!!!

As for expensive replacement parts, yes they are. But not just KTM. Any of the quality European bikes are the same way .... or worse - i.e. Ducati.

[IMEO]

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,816 Posts
The main difference between the Jap bikes, and KTM is that KTM uses a linkless rear suspension. Less parts, less mass, less things to break.

There is a little truth to the fact that the linkess rear is not as tunable, but
if you get your KTM dialed in right, it far surpasses the linkage suspension.

Also the linkless has MORE ground clearance.

Here is a post from Thumpertalk:

Chris_Slade
11-29-2001, 04:19 AM
Advantages -
1) No linkage to get grunged up and lock up.
2) Less complex
3) Less to break
4) Less bolts to come loose
5) VERY simple to remove swingarm and or shock (only 2 bolts, not removing a dog-leg, then the subframe, then the bolts...blah blah blah)

Disadvangages -
1) No linkage to get aftermarket rocker arms
for.

It works just as well as any Japanese bikes linkage, if not better, as there are not hundreds of bearings to lock up, it's a freakin' no brainer.
Some claim it doens't act quite as plush as linkage, but I find the no-link system to be flawless, and should be standard issue on ALL bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts