KTM Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a ktm xcw 250cc 2013,
Having issues with starting via the button.

My father has helped me as follows...
  • new starter installed
  • cleaned all wiring points
  • new relay
  • new battery
I contacted my father today, he says the battery charged to 14amp. it might be a 13amp but I am out the country so I don't know for sure.
He gets it to start jumping it with a car battery.

He says he wants to install a better, bigger battery but will need to mod so it fits.

Do you think it's the bendix and not the battery?
Or if it's the battery what would you recommend? He has mentioned a Yamaha 1200 terra.
I'm just tired of wasting coin lol, so your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Hi all,

I have a ktm xcw 250cc 2013,
Having issues with starting via the button.

My father has helped me as follows...
  • new starter installed
  • cleaned all wiring points
  • new relay
  • new battery
I contacted my father today, he says the battery charged to 14amp. it might be a 13amp but I am out the country so I don't know for sure.
He gets it to start jumping it with a car battery.

He says he wants to install a better, bigger battery but will need to mod so it fits.

Do you think it's the bendix and not the battery?
Or if it's the battery what would you recommend? He has mentioned a Yamaha 1200 terra.
I'm just tired of wasting coin lol, so your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
i have lots of questions but your description supplies very few answers that could help. you can always help us help you better with good descriptions of your symptoms, when trouble started and what kind of bike you are trying to fix. a few ideas first. you claim bike is XCW250 and not XCF250? the F would indicate a 4 stroke model and slightly different testing method. i dont think a bigger battery is helpful, it may seem like a good idea but if your battery is new and the correct size and tests ok, a new larger battery probably wont help. your starter circuit testing should start with current draw and current voltage drop during cranking test. an analog voltmeter is best for voltage drop testing. digital voltmeter buffers the readings. maybe do these basic tests and report back as needed for help. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
augiedoggie
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing