KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Victorianite, have been all my life. I've often contemplated leaving, but I'm now in a place in life where it's time to bring this thought into action.
This isn't necessarily a search for greener pastures - more so a need for change.. and QLD seems to fit the bill.
Ideally I'm looking to move somewhere up the coast. Brisbane seems like a great option; I'm a mechanical engineer with a whole range of skills in the field, and looking at SEEK there seems to be a good amount of job opportunities around the area.
Having only traveled to QLD a few times in my life (Gold Coast, Cairns, Airlie Beach, Townsville) I'd like to hear from those that live there.
Where do you live in QLD?
Do you like it there, and if so why? If not, why?
Most importantly - What are the riding roads like in QLD? How far does one have to travel from the major cities to access them?

I would love to hear the opinions of those that actually live there! (AND ride bikes).

Cheers

·
Registered
KTM 690
5 Posts
Hi, I am not an Australian, came from overseas 3 years ago and have lived in Brisbane ever since. If I had to choose a place to settle in around Brisbane it would be either south Gold Coast / north NSW or Sunshine Coast. I find these places closer to nature and got the feeling you can escape from traffic, lights and people in no time compare to Brisbane. Talking about travel from the city to riding roads it's time consuming for me, it takes a good hour to see yourself riding open and quite roads. This may change depending on where you live in the city. I grow up living next to the beach and close to the mountains, and this is one thing you get in the areas I mentioned before (south Qld-Nth NSW), not in Brisbane. But Brisbane offers other things that the others don't. Whatever you do good luck and I hope you can find your place in Queensland :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Chaq!
Ideally we are looking for areas closer to the hills/nature, as where we are living in Vic is bordering the Eastern ranges and its very easy for us to escape into the hills.. So what you've mentioned is exactly the type of environment we had in mind.
That gives me a bit to go off, so thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Hey @Praxis I live on the northern end of the Sunshine Coast, about one hour 20 mins north of Brisbane Airport. I am retired which impacts my riding as I don't have to commute ad allows me to be selective of my riding days / times.

The pros are many: Warm dry winters. Easy to escape the traffic. Enough decent roads with only moderate traffic to keep life interesting. Close enough to the great roads / country of northern NSW and Northern Tablelands to make weekend trips a worthy thing. In 2 days riding I can be in the Kosciusko National Park and make a week trip out of the run there, KNP, North Eastern Victoria and back. 😁
The cons are few: Very humid summers. Roads to the north and west of me are pretty uninteresting, but if you go the Adventure route there are good options. Local SC Hinterland roads are often low speed limited and full of wandering drivers on the weekends.

I've been here 3.5 years after 42 winters in Canberra, so my preoccupation with temperature stems from that. :cool:

Reactions: rich351

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Pete! I've spent the past hour on google maps following the roads around SEQ and Northern NSW on street view, and to be honest I'm pretty happy with what I see haha. Mostly 80km/h .. as is the case around vic.
Victoria has great roads here, and I'm glad I live so close to them - but after living here for my life thus far, I can honestly say I will NEVER get used to the weather. And the roads are sort of pointless when there's such a small amount of sunshine to be had. The summers are cooler than they have ever been, and we are getting less sun. The winters are just plain crap, and there is nothing to do except work. I'm done with it :LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Pete! I've spent the past hour on google maps following the roads around SEQ and Northern NSW on street view, and to be honest I'm pretty happy with what I see haha. Mostly 80km/h .. as is the case around vic.
Victoria has great roads here, and I'm glad I live so close to them - but after living here for my life thus far, I can honestly say I will NEVER get used to the weather. And the roads are sort of pointless when there's such a small amount of sunshine to be had. The summers are cooler than they have ever been, and we are getting less sun. The winters are just plain crap, and there is nothing to do except work. I'm done with it :LOL:
I am a Victorianite, have been all my life. I've often contemplated leaving, but I'm now in a place in life where it's time to bring this thought into action.
This isn't necessarily a search for greener pastures - more so a need for change.. and QLD seems to fit the bill.
Ideally I'm looking to move somewhere up the coast. Brisbane seems like a great option; I'm a mechanical engineer with a whole range of skills in the field, and looking at SEEK there seems to be a good amount of job opportunities around the area.
Having only traveled to QLD a few times in my life (Gold Coast, Cairns, Airlie Beach, Townsville) I'd like to hear from those that live there.
Where do you live in QLD?
Do you like it there, and if so why? If not, why?
Most importantly - What are the riding roads like in QLD? How far does one have to travel from the major cities to access them?

I would love to hear the opinions of those that actually live there! (AND ride bikes).

Cheers
Mate
Im also from Victoria and understand where you’re coming from. Ive noticed the same trend and the place is getting over crowded. Im currently looking at different options in terms of where in Queensland to live. I was there last month with my family to get a feel for the place. Brisbane was out for us, Gold Coast was nice for sure. We are still looking for the right place to move to. Summer and sun all year around is very inviting after living in Victoria all my life.
All the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rich. We will be following the same plan. Going to travel around to a few places we are interested in and see how we feel basically.
I did think about Rural Vic, but it's still Victoria, and even rural is still suffering decimating lockdowns and restrictions for nothing.
NSW is also on the cards, but I really haven't seen much of it. Only travelled to Northern NSW which is essentially SEQ.

Thanks mate :) I hope you find your place too. Let me know of any updates that you feel are relevant. Always interested in others' experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Rich. We will be following the same plan. Going to travel around to a few places we are interested in and see how we feel basically.
I did think about Rural Vic, but it's still Victoria, and even rural is still suffering decimating lockdowns and restrictions for nothing.
NSW is also on the cards, but I really haven't seen much of it. Only travelled to Northern NSW which is essentially SEQ.

Thanks mate :) I hope you find your place too. Let me know of any updates that you feel are relevant. Always interested in others' experiences.
The lockdowns have been a over reaction of a nanny state that for the most part sealed our decision to get out of Vic apart from the crappy weather lol. Yes keep us posted if you find that special place, Sun, warmth and some great riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same feeling with us. I know QLD and NSW are still having lockdowns, however the way they've gone about their business still somewhat resembles normality.
Victoria has got to be the worst place to live in Australia right now. What a shame.
Oh well.. We have the power to take action.. and it seems it's a becoming a common theme amongst Victorians.

Haha will do for sure :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts