KTM Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's ride thru the GA hills

A Florida boy in GA is like a kid in a candy store .... too many great roads, not enuf time. We start up hwy 19 to Vogel State park then along Wolf Pen Gap rd to Suches GA. Slight pause around 12 minutes while waiting for mates to catch up. We wait for a bit at a biker campground where the fastest of my Harley guys stop also. One Harley in all those bikes .... very rare. Sorry for wind noise - next time the camera gets mounted behind windshield. Looks like at times we are about to fall off the road - just an illusion cuz of the helmet and cam leaning to the inside. I keep helmet bottom level with the ground so it seems there is no lean angle.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wolf+Pen+Gap+Rd,+Georgia/@34.7408401,-84.0125309,12.52z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x885f1523ee5f54f5:0x33e3cace3e124e3a!8m2!3d34.7324953!4d-83.9765844

Same road and dryer conditions: Wait for it cuz I took a second to install cam and put helmet on.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
Thanks for the report @Spartacus though I wonder about you crazy 'Muricans diving on the wrong side of the road like that. Pity the sneaky damp patches under trees kept your exuberance levels to a dull roar. Great looking road. Where to next?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A Florida boy in GA is like a kid in a candy store .... too many great roads, not enuf time. We start up hwy 19 to Vogel State park then along Wolf Pen Gap rd to Suches GA. Slight pause around 12 minutes while waiting for mates to catch up. We wait for a bit at a biker campground where the fastest of my Harley guys stop also. One Harley in all those bikes .... very rare. Sorry for wind noise - next time the camera gets mounted behind windshield. Looks like at times we are about to fall off the road - just an illusion cuz of the helmet and cam leaning to the inside. I keep helmet bottom level with the ground so it seems there is no lean angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6lhE3OFFU&t=512s

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wolf+Pen+Gap+Rd,+Georgia/@34.7408401,-84.0125309,12.52z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x885f1523ee5f54f5:0x33e3cace3e124e3a!8m2!3d34.7324953!4d-83.9765844
Did you get a chance to rip up Blood Mountain or Cherahola?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mr Bill moment ..... OH Noooooooo

Well no Blood mountain but I have this ... that I wasn't going to show. Got a little aggressive on hwy 19 - felt the squeeze attempting a pass. The trailer on right touched the mirror as I waited! Stopped at the aptly named "Road Kill BQQ" to change my diaper.

Put the camera down on tank today (back in FL) ... might be too low but will not have the wind racket like on helmet plus it will show lean angles and better represent the speed. Helmet cam makes it look like an "all dressed for Sunday" stroll.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Pucker factor 8 out of 10.

The worst part is when drivers start making all sorts of wild braking and turning maneuvers instead of just continuing on in a normal manner.

But that was still purty sketchy.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
+1 on HH pucker comments. It didn't look ott till you decided to have a shot at the last two vehicles ... that van was f'huge. Diaper change required as you said!!

Once you did clear the van it was a very clean run. Easy to see where the cork in the bottle was.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
+1 on HH pucker comments. It didn't look ott till you decided to have a shot at the last two vehicles ... that van was f'huge. Diaper change required as you said!!

Once you did clear the van it was a very clean run. Easy to see where the cork in the bottle was.
Yup - that pretty much explains the eagerness to get around it (admittedly a bogan bonehead move)... after that kind of bottleneck you get clean road cuz who can pass there?
Object was to avoid well known routes and ride on weekdays ... too many weekend warriors. The first video was the early morning conclusion of our riding week in GA ... it was Saturday morning, did you notice the Porsche 911 parade going other way? This is what I avoid, the Dragon and other cop surveyed tarmac cuz there is plenty of non-known twisty stuff.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yup - that pretty much explains the eagerness to get around it (admittedly a bogan bonehead move)... after that kind of bottleneck you get clean road cuz who can pass there?
Object was to avoid well known routes and ride on weekdays ... too many weekend warriors. The first video was the early morning conclusion of our riding week in GA ... it was Saturday morning, did you notice the Porsche 911 parade going other way? This is what I avoid, the Dragon and other cop surveyed tarmac cuz there is plenty of non-known twisty stuff.
Found a gooder just by chance. A friend's wife wanted to have lunch at the Pisgah Inn on BRP. Since we didn't want too much 30 mph speed limit, found the nearest entry to Pisgah Inn on BRP. US 276 crosses BRP about 3 miles S of the Inn. In either direction, the road is a hoot. A little small, but lot of nice tight sweepers and switchbacks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more gt sound needed, you sound like a boy on cam, but i remember your comment when u said your from the no arse tribe so you have to be atleast 45.

good effort with keeping the vocals so pristine.
i bet all the old ladies wanna take sparty home.
Pete and I were made the same year, 55. Course he's better looking than me but so far no offers from the blue hairs yet. Ya the GT sound is lame, "more better" sound coming as the cam is now tucked in just at or below the windscreen. Have not tried it yet .... we're back now so no good GA roads to try it out.

Did you ever get the RC8 beast on that track in anger? AMatu is nailing it ... didja see his latest video?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Last one ... promise

No mishaps at all - midweek riding is great. You get the jist of it in Georgia .... everyone drives fast around here. For obvious reasons you can see how NASCAR racing got it's roots.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Keep em coming

Awesome video. Keep them coming. I don't ride street but enjoy tagging along with you. Unless you scrape that damn truck again:surprise: i damn near shat meself with that truck rubbin on the other vid.

·
Registered
948 Posts
:eek:......... my sphynchter valve was tightening as I watched you take the last two then have a go at the caravan. That semi was hanging it's trailer wheels on the yellows and the gap was gone....... you were ok when the double yellows had wide spacing (we see this type of line marking over here nowdays too) but that narrowed just at the wrong time....... well done keeping calm and getting smoothly back into line. Helmet cam does make it look like a Sunday cruise.... but i could hear the 1290 growling behind the wind buffeting (y).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts