KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop suggested a tip for starting in the cold. First turn the bike on. Then tap the starter and release it before the bike can start. Then turn the bike off for 30 seconds. Turn the bike on and start it normally. I have tried it all week and it works pretty well. Try it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can also just turn on you high beams for a few seconds to "wake up" a lithium battery in cold weather.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can also just turn on you high beams for a few seconds to "wake up" a lithium battery in cold weather.
This guy gets it!

Just put a little bit of load on the battery.

Don’t do the starter trick. No reason to strain and possibly burn your starter leaving you stranded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dirt tracker
3,442 Posts
My local shop suggested a tip for starting in the cold. First turn the bike on. Then tap the starter and release it before the bike can start. Then turn the bike off for 30 seconds. Turn the bike on and start it normally. I have tried it all week and it works pretty well. Try it!
Good trick. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had mine in for a year or two. The manufacturer recommends you let the battery warm up a bit before starting, which really means lithium doesn't react to cold temps and generating high amps very well. Letting it warm up means the element conducts much better. Or something. Anyway, through practice I found out that lithium no longer has a problem delivering the starting amps when it's >15C internal temperature (don't quote me on that figure) and trying to get it started below that causes a very sluggish start that doesn't actually get the engine running. Low power also causes the bike to throw all sorts of error codes and if you do get it to idle, it'll die at the first pull of the clutch.

Just turn the bike on, leave high beams and brake lights on for a minute or two, play with the menus for a bit and type a Whatsapp message or three. That'll bring the battery up to temp and when it does it has zero problems turning over the motor.

It's the price you pay for performance.

·
Registered
2017 Super Duke GT
11 Posts
I don’t have a lithium battery but on my recent Death Valley road trip my ‘17 SDGT was reluctant to start after sitting outside overnight in 30F temperature. It was like the starter just could not spin the motor quick enough to lite the fire. But my battery had the juice to keep trying and eventually after a few tries with pause the beast fired up. I learned to shutdown heated grips and high beam light before the early morning start process. No warning lights or codes and once running it would start immediately. Back home in San Diego zero issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The advice from your local shop is not good advice especially for a modern bike controlled by an ecu. Flicking the starter and not starting is likely to end up with fault codes. To start with lithium battery do as suggested in previous posts. Turn ignition on, either turn lights on or hold brake on for a short while. Battery will recognise its under load and wake up. You should be good to go then.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
DG Rig~ While YMMV, I will say that I’ve been using Lithium batteries for over a decade and have had zero issues. That’s in freezing or scorching earth temperatures. Regardless, follow the aforementioned replies and while you’re at it, find a new dealer.

·
Registered
2020 SDR
35 Posts
I have been using Shorai Lithium batteries for years in my ATV's and some Motorcycles. I use one in my ATV that I plow my driveway with, same battery in there for 5 years no issues and I plow in -20-30 c all the time in the winter. There should be no Cold start issues. These batteries are amazing and weigh next to nothing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When we all had light bulbs, instead of LED’s. The current draw of the incandescent bulbs was plenty to warm the battery, but these LED light bulbs are a little more efficient. They won’t self heat the batter anywhere near as well/quick, so give it a little while to get there.

It’s the self heating caused by the power draw, that warms the core of the battery a bit, which in turn gives it the starting power. Lithium chemistry gets more sluggish at low temps than lead-acid.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a better tip. Buy a lead-acid battery. ;)
Funny you should mention that. It is a good trick but I've gotten tired of it so I installed a Yuasa today. I do like the idea of using the high beam instead of the starter for all the reasons suggested. No need to provoke the fault code gods. Mirage, rider1 I don't know how you do it, I've had nothing but problems starting my GT every winter. I give up! I'm swapping my batteries out seasonally from now on.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Battery heating to improve cold-start performance has been around almost as long as batteries. Lithium batteries apparently require it from time to time. Something lithium battery fans are learning to live with or change battery types.

·
Registered
2020 SDR
35 Posts
I do not know what kind of Lithium battery you guys are using but I've only use Shorai and never issues with their batteries or chargers. One of my ATVs has one in it and I use it all winter to plow the driveway and yes its in a heated garage but only heated to about 8c unless I'm going to be working in there. I have left the machine outside while I've had lunch at -25c, back out and it starts like nothing every time, never ever any issues.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
rider1~ +1. As mentioned, I've been using Shorai for years with multiple motorcycle manufacturers and have had no issues whatsoever. I suppose battery discussions will go the way of "What type of oil/tires do you use?" as certainly everyone has an opinion. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have used Shorai and WPS Li batteries but I'll admit that when I used the Shorai, I didn't use their charger. I've always used Battery Tenders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One issue with lithium battery purchases is that some buyers go with the smallest battery they can, and then use foam inserts and such, to make the battery fit securely in the stock compartment. Smaller LiFEPo batteries typically have a similar CCA rating to the stock sized Lead/AGM batteries, so they are usually listed as suitable for use when cross referenced with the stock battery. But, the smaller LiFEPo batteries lack the amp-hour/Ah rating. The result is a LiFEPo battery that gives all of its Ah to just a few start up attempts, or drains too much due to accessories like aux lights, phone/gps charging, heated grips/gear, etc. When I shop for a LiFEPo, I look at the stock battery dimensions and polarity placement, then go for a physically same-sized LiFEPo battery with the most Ah I can find (CCA is generally high enough not to be a factor), and at a reasonable price. I also maintain them (occasionally) with a suitable charger. (Battery Tender Jr. Switchable, in my case). I've used WPS and BikeMaster LiFEPo batteries between my KTM, Ducati, Aprilia, and Honda, and never had an issue.

Reactions: Trebor27

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was a fan of Shorai, until the ****ty pig tail balance charging lead nearly burned down my bike, the garage and the house with my family in it. I still have the skid mark on the underside of my saddle to show for it. I’ve never stripped a zx-10R down so fast to rip out the battery! Pillion seat, rear plastics, pilot seat, Pos/neg terminals, and ripped that f*ker out and ran outside with it still sizzling and smoking!

Where the battery sits on that bike has the recess for the balance lead is in a low spot, water got in there and pooled, leading to a lot of heat and smoke and burning wires. Luckily only the Shorai balance charger lead which went in the trash with the battery!

I now use Anti-Gravity, for the build in BMS, but it definitely doesn’t crank as well as the Shorai did!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Built in Battery Management/Cell Balancing is a must, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Built in Battery Management/Cell Balancing is a must, regardless of brand.
Oh yes, BMS is a must in my opinion now. As a bare minimum 14V of the unprotected (electrically) lithium battery cells must not be available within 1/2” of each other, in a “bowl” and allowed to collect water. Unlike the Shorai. Motorcycles are not exactly protected from the weather are they? Piss port design in my opinion…

I contacted Shorai to let them know about the hazard, they sent me a new balance lead. It went in the trash the second it arrived with the charger….

1 - 20 of 24 Posts