KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
268 miles into it on day two seems I have a little bit of drippage onto the exhaust. Snapped a quick pic once I found out where it was comming from. ( see link )

http://imgur.com/iYhlqUo
http://imgur.com/Ak721uP

This is on the left side of the bike you can see the dip stick on the second link. I looked through a few manuals here quickly to try and identify the part that is leaking, but if you all have time and can help it would be super.

I went out again and checked a few places... anyone had the left side soft to hard line connection leak on you before?

·
Registered
389 Posts
don't see a huge amt of oil.. is that mileage statement total or just for that day?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the milage is total. I have to pull the fairings after work today I think because this morning there was dripage on my garage floor near the front half of the bike.

I think this is just karma for me making fun of my buddies harley for all these years. :cursing:

any way I will keep posting pictures and insight as I find more out, but something must have rattled loose or something... I am calling the dealership today to key them in on the issue and see what they have to say, but i just dont want to drive that far again. maybe another dealership closer could cover the work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Subscribed. Sorry to hear about the oil leak. I hope it is as simple as something came loose from your long ride. Sitting tight here for more details..

·
Registered
280 Posts
the milage is total. I have to pull the fairings after work today I think because this morning there was dripage on my garage floor near the front half of the bike.

I think this is just karma for me making fun of my buddies harley for all these years. :cursing:

any way I will keep posting pictures and insight as I find more out, but something must have rattled loose or something... I am calling the dealership today to key them in on the issue and see what they have to say, but i just dont want to drive that far again. maybe another dealership closer could cover the work.
JB,

I agree with Wolfy, where in PA did you buy it? Nows the time to get it in before the weather really breaks and people start getting all the maintenance done they put off last year. See if you can get the dealer to pick the bike up from you free of charge or meet them 1/2 way. If it's Bentley's good luck.

Tdel

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JB,

I agree with Wolfy, where in PA did you buy it? Nows the time to get it in before the weather really breaks and people start getting all the maintenance done they put off last year. See if you can get the dealer to pick the bike up from you free of charge or meet them 1/2 way. If it's Bentley's good luck.

Tdel
I got it at ridersville cycle in WV. I live in williamsport ,PA area I was thinking of calling other dealerships to see if they would pick up the warranty work. Maybe take it to Cernics in Altoona area, or Scotts down south.. Not sure yet how to handle it yet. Ill probly call the riderscycle to get thier take on it and see what they are willing to do from there.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you get it done under warranty it will have to be a KTM street dealer, I don't think Cernics is, and i wold stay away from bentleys in Pittsburgh. Start with the dealer where you bought it, you just invested 15K in a bike there is an expectation that it is perfect and your dealer should do what's in their power to make it perfect.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you get it done under warranty it will have to be a KTM street dealer, I don't think Cernics is, and i wold stay away from bentleys in Pittsburgh. Start with the dealer where you bought it, you just invested 15K in a bike there is an expectation that it is perfect and your dealer should do what's in their power to make it perfect.
Just got off the phone with the dealership I bought it from, said only one person there deals with the larger KTM's and he doesnt have much experience with the RC8.. the service guy i talked to couldnt tell me at what point of doing my own work would void the warranty, but he personally didnt mind what I did:stupid: ... so he told me to call back after ten to talk to that guy directly and see what he said.

I will have to make a few calls I guess to all surrounding dealerships to find out if there are any qualified individuals to do warranty work, but its like manyhave said on here. would you really trust a squid with a pair of channel locks to work on your bike just because he works at a dealership. All else fails ill get this stuff figured out.. not worried.

btw 13500 out the door :shuriken:

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is hard to find many service techs who work on the RC8's.. I think once you start removing the body panels and start looking in there, I think you will be easily able to see where it is leaking from.. I think something came loose during your 200 mile ride home. The vtwins are pretty famous for the bolts to loosen up(at least is the case with many ducatis)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is hard to find many service techs who work on the RC8's.. I think once you start removing the body panels and start looking in there, I think you will be easily able to see where it is leaking from.. I think something came loose during your 200 mile ride home. The vtwins are pretty famous for the bolts to loosen up(at least is the case with many ducatis)
I think you are right sir,

I just want to keep this open just incase other can chime in or learn if they find a similar issue.

I did talk to cernics in duncansville, and they have a qualified individual who was actually helpful. He has taken the KTM course and performed the recalls from back in the 08 models. I told him my action plan as it sits now, and he confirmed this would not void any warrenty issues. Seemed very helpful so far, and if I need to get it in for service I will be sure to give you all an update on their overall quality.

Either way my new KTM is getting naked tonight.:tt1::tt1:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright made the RC8 naked after work and did all sorts of stuff to her
http://imgur.com/L4pDDWk
I found some oil
http://imgur.com/XQMyTNy
http://imgur.com/iuiQeBt
http://imgur.com/ZUPR9d0
http://imgur.com/OU3nuZ8
http://imgur.com/39EIoky
http://imgur.com/RgVzrfK

Cleaned up the mess, ran a star pattern torqued the stator cover and every fricken bolt I could find that would turn with ease. Ran it up to temp for ten minutes while checking for more leaks. I think I got it covered, but I need the four inches of snow we got today to go away first.

If you all look at the pictures and have any input please pass it my way.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Great info/ pics juice!!
From what all I've read these bikes are notorious for this. Most just tighten anything they can and let the heat from the can burn the remaining oil. I haven't noticed any leaking on mine after I tighten Sh** up like you. Hope it works

**cross fingers**

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clutch slave cylinder or oil filter cover?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Both got about half turn on the T bit. Well, I checked this morning my poor bike was naked and cold but there was no oil!!!! Going to get it to temp again after work rinse and repeat to ensure no more leaks, but high hopes right now.

First oil changes I will probly go with the whole pull each bolt out and locktite it back in place. Have you all pretty much done that after you bought it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Both got about half turn on the T bit. Well, I checked this morning my poor bike was naked and cold but there was no oil!!!! Going to get it to temp again after work rinse and repeat to ensure no more leaks, but high hopes right now.

First oil changes I will probly go with the whole pull each bolt out and locktite it back in place. Have you all pretty much done that after you bought it?
Some loose bolts seeping oil will have an infinitesimal effect on oil level.

If you rode it home at steady state from new it is possible that the rings didn't seal well causing excessive blow by... and the oil went into your air box through the PCV.

Is there a drain in the airbox that the oil could have come from?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine had an oil leak where the dip stick met the block. There's an O ring in there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some loose bolts seeping oil will have an infinitesimal effect on oil level.

If you rode it home at steady state from new it is possible that the rings didn't seal well causing excessive blow by... and the oil went into your air box through the PCV.

Is there a drain in the airbox that the oil could have come from?
Thanks to yall's (;)) advise i made it a point to not ride at a steady pace ever.. Shifted through gears throughout the trip, heavy acceleration periods, tried to maintain as much pressure/ vaccum as I could without getting attention. The oil does not seam to be comming from any higher than the stator cover, although I did find one loose bolt mid hieght just to the left of the stator cover... sorry horrible description. There are 2 cables that lay over the bolt ( electrical ) on the cast portion of the motor not the black cover...

I didnt want to go full PFT ( pretty fricken tight ) on all bolts trying to observe torque specs, however that darn slave cylinder was quite loose and needed a stern talking too. It did look better this morning. And I did notice immediate change after the cold tightening and then the operating temp tightening. I still have high hopes guys :001_cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts