KTM Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad to hear that there was no more leak. Hope it stays like that.. How is the weather looking this week? more snow?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Glad to hear that there was no more leak. Hope it stays like that.. How is the weather looking this week? more snow?
Crazy today, was 46 and sunny now its 27 and snowing... who know next half hour.. should be 40's - 50's by this weeks end. Friday off work with good weather.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crazy today, was 46 and sunny now its 27 and snowing... who know next half hour.. should be 40's - 50's by this weeks end. Friday off work with good weather.
Nice. Hope you can rack more miles this weekend. I took my bike out for a quick spin(put another 20 miles) and checked for leaks. Nothing so far, fingers crossed..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice. Hope you can rack more miles this weekend. I took my bike out for a quick spin(put another 20 miles) and checked for leaks. Nothing so far, fingers crossed..
We digress on these threads alot:blushing: Have you had any smoke at all when you stop after a trip? you may need more than 20 miles on the beast at a time, but its 30 miles to the gas station for me so.... You should be good, but it seems that my dealership JUST unpackaged it and sold it without LOOKING AT THE BIKE first.

That statement should sum up the issue, as I think it was solely a few turns of the T handle away from me never having a dip to begin with. If it wasnt for the snow today I could say without a doubt its fixed. I will keep you all posted.:scooter:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't think I saw any smoke, but I never paid attention. I will try to put more miles this week and will watch out for smoke..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Alright:clap::clap::clap:

First off I wonder if I should do a stock tire in the cold started snowing on me and still got some chicken strips off report, but I should stick to the thread topic.

Went for a nice <40 norther PA ride after work to FINALLY test out my fix job on my oil (drip if even ). After a nice back road ride ( didnt see any other bike de - winterized yet ) i parked it back in the warm garage and now no smoke, no oil, and no tears!!

Sorry, i am excited that that is behind me.:detective: solved

·
Registered
79 Posts
We digress on these threads alot:blushing: Have you had any smoke at all when you stop after a trip? you may need more than 20 miles on the beast at a time, but its 30 miles to the gas station for me so.... You should be good, but it seems that my dealership JUST unpackaged it and sold it without LOOKING AT THE BIKE first.

That statement should sum up the issue, as I think it was solely a few turns of the T handle away from me never having a dip to begin with. If it wasnt for the snow today I could say without a doubt its fixed. I will keep you all posted.:scooter:
I'm having a relatable issue here on my 2014 RC8R with just over 3000 miles. After the bike is hot (200F+) I can see faint smoke coming from the engine somewhere - smells like burning oil. As the days of research goes by, I'm thinking it's an oil leak somewhere, however; there is no oil on the ground and the oil level is perfectly fine.

I've also noticed the bike shutting off when it's really hot - around 214F. Maybe a different issue altogether?

Anyone have a similar issue? Input or help here is greatly appreciated :crying2:

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
6,811 Posts
I'm having a relatable issue here on my 2014 RC8R with just over 3000 miles. After the bike is hot (200F+) I can see faint smoke coming from the engine somewhere - smells like burning oil. As the days of research goes by, I'm thinking it's an oil leak somewhere, however; there is no oil on the ground and the oil level is perfectly fine.

I've also noticed the bike shutting off when it's really hot - around 214F. Maybe a different issue altogether?

Anyone have a similar issue? Input or help here is greatly appreciated :crying2:
Check those links out , the duke guys and offroaders have been dealing with extreme conditions and have some hacks.Its possible that learning a little about the hacks gives you insight into tracking down a problem or adding a hack to avoid one of those "no return" road episodes.
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/92794-cooling-duke-690-a.html
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/offroad-competition/95369-overheating-offroad.html

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
6,811 Posts
Thanks to yall's (;)) advise i made it a point to not ride at a steady pace ever.. Shifted through gears throughout the trip, heavy acceleration periods, tried to maintain as much pressure/ vaccum as I could without getting attention. The oil does not seam to be comming from any higher than the stator cover, although I did find one loose bolt mid hieght just to the left of the stator cover... sorry horrible description. There are 2 cables that lay over the bolt ( electrical ) on the cast portion of the motor not the black cover...

I didnt want to go full PFT ( pretty fricken tight ) on all bolts trying to observe torque specs, however that darn slave cylinder was quite loose and needed a stern talking too. It did look better this morning. And I did notice immediate change after the cold tightening and then the operating temp tightening. I still have high hopes guys :001_cool:
Did you find oil in the Air box? btw , your pics in the first post are not working.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check those links out , the duke guys and offroaders have been dealing with extreme conditions and have some hacks.Its possible that learning a little about the hacks gives you insight into tracking down a problem or adding a hack to avoid one of those "no return" road episodes.
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/92794-cooling-duke-690-a.html
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/offroad-competition/95369-overheating-offroad.html
Great, thanks for this. I've been looking into fas switches as well, a must for living in California I think. I'm going to rip apart the bike today and see if there is a minor oil leak somewhere, which I think may be the culprit.

Reactions: cors187

·
Dirt Wizard
4,516 Posts
Sometimes a very small oil leak can create a terrible smell and smoke. I would be checking somewhere above your exhaust headers, Valve cover somewhere maybe?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know the feeling, though my oil leak was approximately 3.6 L of new Motorex oil (specifically 15w50).

Ended up rebuilding engine. Prior to that, my dip stick was leaking as well a little, and burning off on the pipe. So, I solved that with a rebuild haha

No leaks since though, and thats 18-19000 kms later.

Think Ive actual video of the cases spitting oil out, if I can find them and post them i will

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hard to work on??
Really? Easiest bike I've ever worked on.

This engine is no different than any engine. You font need to be einstein.

Id question your dealers.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts