KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2019 790 Duke
78 Posts
Yup.
To be fair, most of it went towards isolating the problem. However, yes, it's not looking good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I can't say much to long-term reliability when my short-term experience has been less than impressive.
Love at first ride on my 2019 new 790. Updated from my one-owner 2006 SV650S.

That was almost a year ago.
Since then, I still rate the ride as fantastic, having racked up 11K kms, including a 4K km touring holiday.

However, this awesome riding experience has proven more costly in time, registration&insurance downtime, convenience and stress than I could have anticipated in a machine in its 3rd year of production.
And that's quite apart from being dicked around by the dealer in various ways in the process.

So, in the last 11 1/2 months, here is the work done so far under warranty to address ongoing engine cutout issues, other fuelling problems, plus other parts failures :
  • Keys recoded
  • Fuses replaced
  • ECU values reset
  • Injectors
  • Plugs
  • Battery
  • New ECU
  • Throttle bodies
  • Clutch switch
  • Coolant hose clips
  • Worm clamps for main coolant hoses
  • Head gasket
  • And KTMA picking up the tab for the recent service (except the oil, which we paid for because the dealership doesn't use Motul), for my patience.

Now, the cutouts are still occurring, and we've just discovered it appears the thermostat housing has sprung a leak.

So, while I'm glad KTM Australia are doing all they can to help find the cause of the main problem, I can see the second half of this warranty disappearing before my eyes.
Like BuddhaBiker, I am questioning the rigour of the R&D and the resources going into factory solutions post-production.
Again, this bike was built in the model's THIRD year.
I’m VERY sorry to hear about your experience! What are the odds that both of our bikes were lemons?

Unfortunately, It’s looking like KTM is better at producing lemons than oranges.

I’ve also ridden and considered the Aprilia Tuono. I thought the handling was telepathic…much more nimble than my Super Duke. However, the forums also show too many issues for me. The new Speed Triple is also having “teething” issues, according to the forums.

I also had high hopes for the new Ducati Granturismo engine, with valve springs instead of desmo, and with timing CHAINS…hoping that they’d drop it into a Monster or Diavel). However, they’re having valve guide issues and replacing entire engines under warranty.

The pattern seems to be that Euro bike manufactures focus on outright performance, at the expense (pun intended) of reliability. It seems that they don’t spend enough time testing the dependability and reliability before releasing to the public (to be their beta testers)

So, maybe when the MT-10 gets an overdue refresh…. I REALLY liked the demo rides I’ve done on the new MT-09. They’ve improved it A LOT, but it still had a few niggles, and not enough instant low and mid range roll-on torque, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 790 Duke
78 Posts
Yup, I find myself checking out the mt09 a bit too. I'm a granny on a budget, so this whole thing is extremely disappointing.
I adore this bike to ride, but it looks like I'll be going back to Japanese once these issues are sorted. Right now I'd love ktm to just buy my bike back and I can start over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve also ridden and considered the Aprilia Tuono. I thought the handling was telepathic…much more nimble than my Super Duke. However, the forums also show too many issues for me. The new Speed Triple is also having “teething” issues, according to the forums.

The pattern seems to be that Euro bike manufactures focus on outright performance, at the expense (pun intended) of reliability. It seems that they don’t spend enough time testing the dependability and reliability before releasing to the public (to be their beta testers)

So, maybe when the MT-10 gets an overdue refresh…. I REALLY liked the demo rides I’ve done on the new MT-09. They’ve improved it A LOT, but it still had a few niggles, and not enough instant low and mid range roll-on torque, for me.
I have a Duke 890R with about 4000 miles and, so far, no issues. It is a very impressive bike to ride. But, these constant reports about issues and more issues is a bit disconcerting. I really like reliable bikes that I don't have to worry about. With that said, the quality of the riding experience is on the top of my list.

The revised MT09 is a fantastic bike. I owned the previous version and there was a bunch of stuff I didn't like. The new one is a heck of a lot better in all regards. They made a bunch of small changes that add up to a big improvement. I would definitely consider buying a MT09SP if I ran into serious problems on my Duke.

The MT10, up until this year, was my favorite bike in the Yamaha lineup before the refresh of the 09. Now the SP is my go to bike when I have to choose. The 10 should get a refresh for next year. It needs a quick shifter as good as the 09. I still have trouble with the fuel mileage difference in the bikes. The 10 gets about 30mpg and the 09 is closer to 50mpg. Building a bike on a race based engine often does not translate very well to the street.

The Tuono is a fantastic bike and I plan on buying another one fairly soon. When I had my 2016 a friend picked up a new MT10 and we switched bikes for awhile. Riding them back to back really showed the superiority of the Tuono. He almost regretted buying the MT10. Yamaha builds fantastic bikes in terms of quality but they often lack the soul and visceral riding experience that the Duke or the Tuono provide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2019 z900rs I bought new, put 15,000 miles on it with 0 issues. Just tires and oil changes. the Japanese apparently understand and respect quality control much more than their European competitors. You might say their bikes are boring and have no soul but at least you can ride them without having to replace cylinders at 6,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 z900rs I bought new, put 15,000 miles on it with 0 issues. Just tires and oil changes. the Japanese apparently understand and respect quality control much more than their European competitors. You might say their bikes are boring and have no soul but at least you can ride them without having to replace cylinders at 6,000 miles. :)
Great bike! I came close to buying one of those and am still tempted. A friend of mine sold his before I had a chance to talk to him about it. I test rode one very briefly a few years ago and it is a bike I could still acquire at some point.

I have a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX in the stable. It is a great bike as well. Neither of these bikes lacks soul or character. They are quality bikes for sure.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts