KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, I've taken my bike in several times to my dealership to check out this problem where the bike keeps rocking back to front while riding. It only happens when I go over bumps in the road (even small ones) and i was hoping someone would be able to help me diagnose what the issue could be since the guys at the dealership seem to be inept. Any help would be appreciated!
The bike has 3000 miles on it and I've taken good care of it

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure what KTM you have, or how heavy you are, but, not long affer I sold my Suzuki DR-Z SM to my brother, I rode my then fairly new 2015 US spec 690 Duke with the usual mugs over a route that I knew well, and I made a youtube video, as it was rocking on its suspension under loads in what then seemed an alarming manner. I was on the stock tires at the recommended 29 psi front and rear, and I weighed about 220 pounds all suited (100 kilos).
I now do not notice it as much, but, the stock front US suspension is a bit mushy, and, when the spring rate of the rear shock is upped to allow for rider weight, it can also be a bit harsh at times. The biggest improvement that I made, on the suggestion of an expert rider, was to lower the pressure of the still stock tires, 2 psi, front and rear, to 27 psi, cold. This one change, for me, soffened and cushioned the suspension, in a good way, even if it did no good at all for tire wear.

The video is short, and you can see the rocking of the bike if you look. It still does it, but, I try to ignore it, and, ibn any case, I am not riding much in my old age and I try to stay out of jail. Being smooth also helps a lot.

·
Full Throttle
5,519 Posts
this problem where the bike keeps rocking back to front while riding. It only happens when I go over bumps in the road (even small ones)
watch vid , make sure you have a little static sag , which is that you "can pick the back of the bike up"
get back to us. also see where your forks are clamped on the top triple clamp. are they clamped high on the forks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! I didnt have time or the humans to measure my sag but I stiffened the rear shock absorber and i was able to improve the ride feel immediately! Ill play with the sag when I get a chance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Vindicator846
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing