KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve listened to a lot of exhaust for my Super Duke 1290 GT, I’m not really all that impressed with some of the popular exhaust out there as there isn’t much sound difference from stock.

There was a company that made a really good looking and throaty exhaust sound, that went by the name of Oopart Unicorn Exhaust, they have a few videos on YouTube of it, however it seems they have discontinued production.

So, which exhaust actually brings out the “Beast” sound?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the Hurricane on my SD R. It definitely growls.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just remove the cat and you will get all the growl you want. Changing the slip on won't affect the sound too much. The sound and emissions are stopped up in that oven by your feet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The easiest and cheapest thing to do first is to remove the silencer pipe from your stock can. Makes the stock exhaust deeper and louder. I describe it as "brapppy'er". IMO it's better than the stock Akra with silencer pipe. I have not compared it to an Akra with the silencer pipe removed yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Austin Racing or SC Project slip on. Full system decatted will annoy your neighbors and their neighbors and their neighbors besides. It will be loud, is what I mean.
Akrapovic makes lovely exhausts but is overpriced and overrated. (Yeah I said it.)

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
408 Posts
OK, folks... sorry, but I've just gotta ask: why do you folks want a bike (or any machine, for that matter) to be any louder than it already is?

Don't mean to start a war, but why loud?

Confession:
I went thru a phase 40 years ago where I thought long tube headers and dump exhausts on my Mustang were just the greatest thing ever. I have since concluded that quiet is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know what you mean. For the record: I am not a fan of loud, straight-pipe exhausts either. It's fine to a point, and then it's rude and obnoxious.

I have a slip on only, and I opted out of SC Project in part because they are just way too damn loud for me. To each their own, though, and if OP wants a growl then he's got plenty of options. I do think he can get there with just a slip on, but opinions on that vary too. : )

OK, folks... sorry, but I've just gotta ask: why do you folks want a bike (or any machine, for that matter) to be any louder than it already is?

Don't mean to start a war, but why loud?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you're just looking for a slip-on, the Yoshimura Alpha sounds better than the OEM. A little louder at idle and quite a bit louder at higher rpm's, including some backfires when upshifting with the quick shifter at high rpm's. Looks a lot better than the stocker as well, not too big and not too small.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OEM muffler, Arrow decat. Not too loud but makes it growl and starts with a crack, sounds awesome. With the Ackro map and DNA airfilter it's good for about 8hp plus saves about 4 kilograms.
20201005_120454.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
OEM muffler, Arrow decat. Not too loud but makes it growl and starts with a crack, sounds awesome. With the Ackro map and DNA airfilter it's good for about 8hp plus saves about 4 kilograms.
What I have as well. Bought it with the decat and an SC-Project slip on with no db killer, awesome but painfully loud. Sold the slip on and went back to stock muffler. I think it sounds great now, still aggressive and plenty of volume when you really get on it.

Wish I could find something a little more compact with similar sound. Might check out the Yoshimura.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What I have as well. Bought it with the decat and an SC-Project slip on with no db killer, awesome but painfully loud. Sold the slip on and went back to stock muffler. I think it sounds great now, still aggressive and plenty of volume when you really get on it.

Wish I could find something a little more compact with similar sound. Might check out the Yoshimura.
The trouble with small mufflers is that they sound tinny and you don't get that deep sound of a bigger muffler. I guess, small muffler is a soprano and big muffler is a baritone. 😄

·
Registered
28 Posts
The easiest and cheapest thing to do first is to remove the silencer pipe from your stock can. Makes the stock exhaust deeper and louder. I describe it as "brapppy'er". IMO it's better than the stock Akra with silencer pipe. I have not compared it to an Akra with the silencer pipe removed yet.
View attachment 99483
What are we removing after we pull those bolts? That pipe can come out is what you're saying?

·
Registered
2017 SD GT
20 Posts
3 or 4 weeks ago I installed the Arrow decat mid pipe along with the Arrow Titanium Race Tech Slip-On Exhaust With Carbon Cap.
I could not be happier with the sound of this set up!

For curiosity when doing the install, I first put just the muffler on with OEM mid pipe... the tone and sound level barely changed.
Then I installed the Decat mid pipe and put the OEM muffler on... the tone and sound level completely changed, much louder.
Finally, I swapped the OEM muffler for the Arrow can... not much louder than Decat and KTM can, but a nicer tone, to my ears.

At idle it has a nice deeper tone and with a handful of throttle it has a big bark!
When riding and giving it gas, and then closing off the throttle it has a noticeable deceleration burble.

Love it!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
3 or 4 weeks ago I installed the Arrow decat mid pipe along with the Arrow Titanium Race Tech Slip-On Exhaust With Carbon Cap.
I could not be happier with the sound of this set up!

For curiosity when doing the install, I first put just the muffler on with OEM mid pipe... the tone and sound level barely changed.
Then I installed the Decat mid pipe and put the OEM muffler on... the tone and sound level completely changed, much louder.
Finally, I swapped the OEM muffler for the Arrow can... not much louder than Decat and KTM can, but a nicer tone, to my ears.

At idle it has a nice deeper tone and with a handful of throttle it has a big bark!
When riding and giving it gas, and then closing off the throttle it has a noticeable deceleration burble.
View attachment 99529

Love it!!!
:cool:
That's a nice big muffler, I believe big mufflers sound better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts