KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around a bit, didn't find anything specific so I thought I'd ask here. I tend to actually print out directions and toss them on the top of the tank bag but I'm thinking maybe I should finally get a GPS. I wouldn't do audio, just visual, and there's already a Garmin mount on the 2018 1290 SAR I bought.

My main usage would be uploading routes I've created using Google My Maps into the GPS. I'm leaning towards a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S. It's not too expensive and the reviews seem more-or-less okay. And it would be nice to know where gas stations are located.

So, for the group, should I bother with a GPS considering my usage? Is it possible and not too irritating to load Google maps into the Garmin. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you plan to use the existing mount you would have to buy a compatible GPS? Garmin mounts change from GPS to GPS. If you are looking to get yourself into using a GPS, the 396 isn't a bad choice from a cost perspective. I have had a GPS since the 376c came out back in like 2004. Still have it and now at least 6 more (378/Zumo 660/2 Zumo 665/Zumo 595/BMW Navigator V).

I have traveled all around the world using a GPS. People will tell you that paper maps are the best, or just wing it and see where you end up. That's baloney! I have enjoyed many roads that I would have never known existed without a GPS. I chose Garmin and stuck with them for a couple reasons. First because it was the first one I bought. Second I think they have the best integrated system with Basecamp to scout route options on the PC, download tracks after riding and storing routes and tracks I have previously ridden for reference to ride later. They aren't perfect and I complain about them all the time, but it works for me.

Reactions: RandyP

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's great advice. I didn't know about the mounts being different, better check that!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most motorcycle GPSes will come with their own mount, I believe the 396 does. It's just a matter of putting it on.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one is already wired in, I'm just being lazy really. I'll check it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Zumo 590/595 mount is very similar to the 660/665 mount. The 590/595 mount is wider then the 660/665 but has similar pin configuration.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a Zumo XT. Pricey and a bit challenging to get it to do what I want it to do but the screen is nice. I'm now trying to figure out how I want to mount and power it on the bike. I bought one of those mounts that attaches to the windscreen mounts and sits over top of the main screen but I'm not happy with how it fits so I'll be checking out some photos.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pic. Mine was wired as well, but Garmin is a bit like Apple, no sense making a single standard mount from one manufacturer. The existing mount seems to run under the tank but I'm under the impression you can also wire it behind the headlight, which I'll be checking.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took me three days but I mounted the GPS. The original was attached to ACC1, and I needed to root around behind the headlight to grab the extra terminals. Fortunately, I have small hands, so I did not need to remove the headlight, just needed to get some fingers behind it. I had no real idea how this was supposed to be mounted, just looked at photos. I would've like it to be lower but I'll try this for awhile and see how it works. I could go lower but it sticks out quite a bit and I was hoping to keep it nearly even with the main screen. Only thing left to do now is re-aim the headlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts