KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my 790 with 0miles and was told to bring it in when it hits 650miles for the 1st service but around 250miles i start hearing some slapping noises didn't think nothing of it then it just keeps doing but more frequently when off the gas hitting bumps. So I look at my chain and find it to have way to much slack and its hitting the swing arm. Anyone else run into this issue that quickly?

(Day i picked it up)

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it was the day you picked it up, it got missed on pre-delivery inspection. And you will get most of the stretch in the first 1000 miles.

Reactions: AlanS65

·
Registered
398 Posts
:cool: Just part of normal things to check on (weekly), I check fluids, lights, and tire pressures before every daily ride, congrats on getting that nice new KTM, and welcome to the site, enjoy your new ride and post up pics of your rides, (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my last MT-10, by 600 miles, I had adjusted the chain 3 times already. It was a bit loose from the factory, and had to tighten it again by 250, and 600 miles. They stretch A LOT initially, but tapers down dramatically after 1K miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the opposite problem. The chain on my 890R had absolutely no slack when I picked it up at the dealer. At the first chain cleaning/lube I had to significantly readjust per the manual (which is poorly written). The selling dealer did not uncrate the bike but they should have checked the chain before delivery to me. I complained to them just in case a problem crops up in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not surprised at all. My MT-10 was delivered with loose battery terminals, missing seat rubber bumpers, loose mirrors, and an extra quart of engine oil. So basically, whatever the dealer touched on my bike, they did it wrong. Ha ha. At any rate, that might be the reason for some leaky front sprocket seals, no? That's why I always retorque and recheck anything a dealer could have touched on my bikes, and have always found at least something loose.

·
Registered
398 Posts
:cool: Because of trust issues, I picked up my 18 690 Duke on a trailer and after getting home in the rain,o_O I went through the entire bike,.:cool:..no grease on the axels, no lock tight anywhere, chain too tight,:rolleyes:o_O:oops: and the air pressures were too low, battery terminals were checked also, they put a battery in it when I got there to get it, they said the voltage was too low while they were getting it unlocked from demo mode...I have not had any trouble with it but I trickled all of my battery's every month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This isn't the first bike I've purchased from this dealer and I have a very good relationship w/ them. Previously I've taken delivery of bikes from them w/ the tire pressures being off and the suspension setting off as well. I consider these to be minor issues that wouldn't effect the long term reliability of the bike or significantly impact the bike's function. In my mind, an improperly adjusted chain, either too loose or too tight, is a bigger deal.

·
Registered
‘21 Duke 890
23 Posts
A lot of people have issues with the stock chain on these bikes. I guess it’s one of the parts they cheaped out on. I readjusted mine at 400 miles and around the same time it started making terrible noises. Doesn’t matter how well I clean and re-lube it, it squeaks or just sounds aweful. So far the tension has been fine but the noise drives me nuts. I’ll be replacing the chain before I hit 2500 miles probably. And I get quite a bit of chain slap even when it’s properly tensioned, I think it’s just the way the guards and stuff were designed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of people have issues with the stock chain on these bikes. I guess it’s one of the parts they cheaped out on. I readjusted mine at 400 miles and around the same time it started making terrible noises. Doesn’t matter how well I clean and re-lube it, it squeaks or just sounds aweful. So far the tension has been fine but the noise drives me nuts. I’ll be replacing the chain before I hit 2500 miles probably. And I get quite a bit of chain slap even when it’s properly tensioned, I think it’s just the way the guards and stuff were designed.
I don't get alot of noise from my chain and certainly no squeaking. I had a hard time believing the adjustment instructions because it seemed like it would result in an overly slack chain. That was until I realized that the suspension movement dictates the amount of slack and as long as the chain isn't hitting the bottom side of the swing arm then things are OK.

·
Super Moderator
1,229 Posts
Jeez guys .. @Niteninja can you please take a pic of the chain side of your bike? No point showing a beautiful pic of your bike when we cant see the chain you have an issue with. Just saying.

Agree with the above comments about just making an adjustment as required. Not difficult, really.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts