KTM Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I just picked up my 2010 rc8 a few months ago and loving it so far. Something feels loose when I press the front brake lever lightly. Im not sure how to explain it but it feels like something is loose and it's clunking around. When I brake hard, I don't feel it. Any ideas? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mate if it feels loose then its your headstock bearings BUT if all you hear is clunking it will be your front discs. The discs are basically floating discs which means the buttons attaching the hub to the discs has some play which its meant to have. Wheel it around and apply the brake you should hear the clunking from your discs, this is normal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My 10 did the same thing I took it to a dealer and they said it was normal the bike had ove 6500 miles.I know what you are feeling. I always felt like something was loose .
I think Wib hit it I thought it was the bearings I sold the bike it had warranty
but the guy who bought wadded it before he had it a month.

My 11 has never done that or has never felt like that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tighten up your steering head bearing...

They do work loose as you ride. I have tightened mine twice now at 5 K miles. Its very easy to do and all the tools are in the pouch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mate if it feels loose then its your headstock bearings BUT if all you hear is clunking it will be your front discs. The discs are basically floating discs which means the buttons attaching the hub to the discs has some play which its meant to have. Wheel it around and apply the brake you should hear the clunking from your discs, this is normal.
Ya mine dose the same thing its a 2012 its the disc no worrys.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get the tool kit out.... Then

Use the torx bit to loosen the pinch bolts on the top triple clamp and also loosen the torx bolts on the clip on. Do this for both sides. Then get the large six sided wrench from the tool kit and put it on the large nut on the top triple clamp. Turn it some clockwise bur don't over tighten. The tighten up the pinch bolts and clip on bolts. Then your done.
I have over 120k miles ridden some with full floaters for discs so I know the difference between loose head bearings and floating discs giving a clunk. I've also had full Alcons and Brembos on my cars both with full floaters. A low speed clunk is due to the floaters, braking at high speed and getting a clunk is a loose head bearing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I just picked up my 2010 rc8 a few months ago and loving it so far. Something feels loose when I press the front brake lever lightly. Im not sure how to explain it but it feels like something is loose and it's clunking around. When I brake hard, I don't feel it. Any ideas? Much appreciated.
I felt the same thing with mine. I thought for sure the head bearings were loose. They were not. It was the front brakes/disks.

Derick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so if i only feel the clunk at low speeds then it is the brake pads. If i feel it at high speed then it is a loose head bearing. Thanks a lot for all the feedback. It's much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts