KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s list all the bolts that are likely to come lose to routinely check, loctite and/or safety wire.

My first is:

Gear shifter bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Kick stand assembly bolts x2

Mine came loose on me twice, lost one and replaced it. Added Locktite and rattled it out with an impact. Good to go.

Also clutch lever, nut and bolt bailed on me in the desert, found my lever and rigged it to make it home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kick stand assembly bolts x2

Mine came loose on me twice, lost one and replaced it. Added Locktite and rattled it out with an impact. Good to go.

Also clutch lever, nut and bolt bailed on me in the desert, found my lever and rigged it to make it home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for this.
I just peeked the bottom of mine. Poor design IMHO.

·
Registered
2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
1 Posts
I am NOT a good mechanic. I have been attentive in keeping this bike clean. I found the loose shift bolt while cleaning. I was not a good custodian of my bikes (‘16 SDGT, ‘73 R75/5 and ‘74 R90/6). I am learning things from this ‘16 SDGT. I have never had a chain before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got bit by the shifter bolt on my ride home from work. Downshifting on the off ramp from the highway and I felt something <ping!>

Managed to limp home in 4th gear. Thank goodness for the torque monster. 🤣

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got bit by the shifter bolt on my ride home from work. Downshifting on the off ramp from the highway and I felt something

Managed to limp home in 4th gear. Thank goodness for the torque monster.
Glad you got home ok. Yeah that torque!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was removing my rear caliper.
So much for the paint on the bolt theory. Lol.

I loosened the bolt. It wasn’t like that.
But the paint is kind of pointless.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What’s the paint on the bolt theory now?

Are you assuming the paint is to see if the bolt has turned? Oh sorry, on closer inspection, perhaps you are talking about the fact the paint is under where the head of the bolt goes?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here is one more bolt for the list, found when blowing all water out the nooks and crannies!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loctite isn’t a solution for all bolts. Think heat for the exhaust clamp that loosens and dents the radiator. Yup that’s happened. Not to me tho.

Safety wire is the best.

Here’s the best guide I’ve used to safetywire my stuff.

I also use a tap to start the drill if I don’t use a guide. Can’t always take the bolt out and it’s easier in some cases to drill while the bolt is installed.

I don’t have a drill press but just use a guide adapter similar to this

Milescraft 1318 Drillmate Drill Guide with chuck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014A1Z92...abc_H286DYW2AFXKXBYAETVA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just went out and did all the small bolts I can see on both side covers, maybe my torque wrench is a little out, but most of them turned a little before hitting the 10nm of torque!

I guess this is a good reason to clean this bike often! Ha!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
A properly torqued fastener should not loosen Then there is loctite.
This. Nothing seems to shake loose, so anything I find that way was either the Mother Ship's gestation or my absentmindedness.

And I agree cleaning is the best way to find loose nuts and bolts. Something falling off would be the worst.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That being said, my bike was a demo, so one would think things were more closely attended to, but maybe they relied on the dealers to keep things screwed tight. If it were me, I would make sure the demo bikes were tight ships so as to demonstrate reliability and build quality.

Only thing I found loose so far was the under-seat ground connection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts