KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ,

Anyone knows if this can be done? they have lowered the bike to it's lowest setting and they tell me that if i want it any lower i would have to get new springs etc... (we didn't discussed the price). i am around 5ft 7in and if i could get that bike 2in lower it would be great ...

Anyone has any ideas?
//macutan

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you do anything cut the seat foam down, that will keep the suspension fully intact.

If you do go after the suspension, you need to be able to lower the front the same amount as you get the rear down to to maintain the steering geometry.

I hate to say it but it might be the wrong bike for you. SMs are tall inherently. The Duke is a low one. If you compromise the suspension you give up the spirit of the bike. The duke is already only 6 inches of travel. (a standard street bike is 4-5) SMC 10+ inches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lowering

I can see how this would be a tough bike to ride if you were shorter. At least it's light so it won't keep going over if you have to tip it a bit at a stop.

I remember some guys and gals used to lower their VFRs and still retain the handling by using a different rear shock linkage in the rear and dropping the front by raising the forks in the triple clamps. There probably isn't an aftermarket rear shock linkage out there that you can just go out and buy. You'd have to find someone to make you one. You could try just dropping the front slightly, but if you change the front end geometry too much you could make the bike unstable (headshake, etc.).

I'd have to agree with Morpheus though, it would be better to start with the seat and boots with a little thicker sole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I checked with KTMTwins for longer pull rods for the rear suspension and they said they looked into making them but thought it would upset the handling to use them. They recommended this firm to internally lower the forks and rear shock
http://www.superplushsuspension.com/
You might check with them to see how much can be done as just a fractional difference won't be worth the trouble or expense.

I looked at the seat but the foam is too thin at the lowest point to help there.
Best thing might be to rethink your riding technique. I have watched the competitors in the Dakar at checkpoints who have to hop off on their left foot and kind of dangle the right over the seat. If you get the picture ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best thing might be to rethink your riding technique. I have watched the competitors in the Dakar at checkpoints who have to hop off on their left foot and kind of dangle the right over the seat. If you get the picture ;-)

I didn't think of it before, but how do the guys on motocross bikes deal with this problem. I doubt I could flat foot a motocross bike and I'm pushing 6'2".

·
Registered
24 Posts
from bri690

didn't think of it before, but how do the guys on motocross bikes deal with this problem. I doubt I could flat foot a motocross bike and I'm pushing 6'2".
Checking the Dakar 690 rally bikes had a seat height of just over 36 inches. Anyone 5' 7' as the originator of this thread will have to plant their left foot on the ground and the right will come off the peg by a considerable amount. Nothing else for it. I have a 32" inseam and the Duke seat height is 34" but my 175 pounds compresses the suspension enough so I can almost plant both feat flat, but not quite. The Duke seat is shaped to maximize leg.length. Off course motocross guys don't have to ride in traffic. But yeah, unless one has real long legs, it means partially dismounting. If I was 5' 7" I would find riding the Duke a daunting prospect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah but they don't make one to fit the 690 duke. this from kouba:

Nothing for those and no plans yet, we may give them another look if the 2010 model Duke stay with the same style linkage. Thanks for checking.
Norm

Norm Kouba
Home of the KoubaLink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts