• Stock is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ktm pp carbonfiber for the 2020 sdr is all in matte finish, ducati and aprilia also use the matte finish.
Some vendors have now started to produce cf parts for the new sdr, and you can choose between matte or glossy finish.
So what do you guys think, matte or glossy cf?.
My self, on the all black sdr i would go for the glossy finish, but on the orange/matte blue I am not so sure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The gloss looks a bit better to me .I replaced the matte finish front fender with gloss and all chrome screws . I' may be the only guy with extra chrome on a KTM. probably not though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'd have to vote glossy. I'm not sure anyone has glossy cf yet. The power parts stuff is nice but the matte... Well, shiny is better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the look of gloss but feel that it's more for show bikes and the matte look for racers, plus gloss shows more scratches.....I like matte for the SDR!

·
Registered
932 Posts
That matte is kind of a gun metal blue that suits this bike.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm seeing more and more matte finishes all the time. Seems like hslf of all new Indians are matte. All the cool cars on the TV show Chicago PD are matte.

Personally, I don't have a taste for it. But then, I am just an old geezer/coot/codger anyway.

"You darn kids, get off my grass!'

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been adding matte CF parts to my 19 SDGT. I've had gloss parts on an Aprilia Dorsoduro, they looked good on that bike. On my SDGT, I prefer the matte. The only part I am going with in gloss will be the handguards, I'm getting those in glossy orange/black twill. Majority of my CF is from Motocomposites, one piece is KTM PP. (tank piece)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nope, mine is the 19. I accidentally ordered some parts that did not fit the 19. 😕 Contact Motocomposites for info on your bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 19 GT with most of the factory KTM carbon bits in matte. The appearance sucks IMO. There's really no contrast in the weave and with no gloss, it just looks like grey plastic in anything but direct sunlight.

Maybe the factory carbon parts are different for the new R, but I would not purchase them again in my case after seeing them installed.

Insult to injury, the fit was not great on several of the pieces and required modding to make them fit "sort of" properly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 19 GT with most of the factory KTM carbon bits in matte. The appearance sucks IMO. There's really no contrast in the weave and with no gloss, it just looks like grey plastic in anything but direct sunlight.

Maybe the factory carbon parts are different for the new R, but I would not purchase them again in my case after seeing them installed.

Insult to injury, the fit was not great on several of the pieces and required modding to make them fit "sort of" properly.
All of my parts from Motocomposites have fit perfectly, as did the one KTM PP piece.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What looks better an old car painted flat black or an old car with a beautiful gloss black paint job . No comparison

·
Registered
375 Posts
Being a carbon fiber addict and adding my fair share of it over the years, for my '15 Beast, I did both gloss and matte in twill weave. Gloss by the paint (i.e. tank) and matte everywhere else. There's an old post of mine that lists all of the vendors. That said and as mentioned, add what you like as it's certainly owner preference.

·
Registered
205 Posts
All of my parts from Motocomposites have fit perfectly, as did the one KTM PP piece.
I did all the power parts pieces for my GT. Some fit great, some not well at all. I guess it depends on what parts you were using. We had to dremel the plastic front fender (rear portion) a bit so that the holes on the carbon piece would line up properly. It still barely fit, even after removing some of the factory plastic fender. The side panels under the tank were really bad...

What looks better an old car painted flat black or an old car with a beautiful gloss black paint job . No comparison
Agreed! Gloss FTW.

View attachment 97360 View attachment 97361 View attachment 97360 View attachment 97361 View attachment 97362

Can't figure out why some people say they can't see any carbon weave in the matte finish. I can see it on mine easily.
That's a well-lit photograph. Out in regular light, it's not nearly as clear. Mine looks "ok" in direct sunlight. If there's any shading at all, it looks like charcoal plastic.

Regarding the carbon piece that runs horizontally under the gas tank, the fitment on mine was horrendous. The front pressure fitting was literally so loose the panel would flap. I had to add rubber grommets from home depot to the female fittings to close the hole up and wrap the male fitting in painter's tape to make it secure. Holding the factory plastic piece next to the carbon piece, they look different.

How was the fit on yours?
If it was really good, would you consider posting a pic of the factory and carbon piece side by side so I can see what's different than what I received?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I did all the power parts pieces for my GT. Some fit great, some not well at all. I guess it depends on what parts you were using. We had to dremel the plastic front fender (rear portion) a bit so that the holes on the carbon piece would line up properly. It still barely fit, even after removing some of the factory plastic fender. The side panels under the tank were really bad...

Agreed! Gloss FTW.

That's a well-lit photograph. Out in regular light, it's not nearly as clear. Mine looks "ok" in direct sunlight. If there's any shading at all, it looks like charcoal plastic.

Regarding the carbon piece that runs horizontally under the gas tank, the fitment on mine was horrendous. The front pressure fitting was literally so loose the panel would flap. I had to add rubber grommets from home depot to the female fittings to close the hole up and wrap the male fitting in painter's tape to make it secure. Holding the factory plastic piece next to the carbon piece, they look different.

How was the fit on yours?
If it was really good, would you consider posting a pic of the factory and carbon piece side by side so I can see what's different than what I received?
I had exactly the same experience and fix for the piece that covers the radiator overflow tank. For the price, I thought it was some pretty shoddy craftsmanship.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts