KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My bike did some ticking last summer. Real random, usually early morning starts. But as soon as I would here it, once it warmed up, it was gone. And it wasn't every day. Hasn't done it in a long time. Is it constant on yours?

Why waste your time tip-toeing through life just to arrive at death safely?
Yup, pretty constant. Same loudness regardless of temperature. It's really noisy behind the clutch cover as well as the top of the cylinder head. I know they make a lot of mechanical noise, but this seems to be much louder than I remember.

I know guys here say they smoke a lot for the first few hundred to thousand miles, but I don't remember it smoking like this until it started getting noisy. I don't know what the relationship would be there though.

All I can say is; I'm really glad I didn't get around to putting on the exhaust a few days earlier. :sweatdrop:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yup, pretty constant. Same loudness regardless of temperature. It's really noisy behind the clutch cover as well as the top of the cylinder head. I know they make a lot of mechanical noise, but this seems to be much louder than I remember.

I know guys here say they smoke a lot for the first few hundred to thousand miles, but I don't remember it smoking like this until it started getting noisy. I don't know what the relationship would be there though.

All I can say is; I'm really glad I didn't get around to putting on the exhaust a few days earlier. :sweatdrop:
Where are located alter ego? Did I read right, Montana?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where are located alter ego? Did I read right, Montana?

I used to live up there off an on over the years... (in Helena) wild land firefighting. I make a trip up to Billings once a summer to ride with friends up there. You must get some looks on your bike..... Lol... That thing is even more rare up there. Sorry to hear your having all these small problems on a brand new 8. Where's the nearest KTM dealer to you? I'm be up this summer, I'll be sure to message you if you up for a ride:)?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I used to live up there off an on over the years... (in Helena) wild land firefighting. I make a trip up to Billings once a summer to ride with friends up there. You must get some looks on your bike..... Lol... That thing is even more rare up there. Sorry to hear your having all these small problems on a brand new 8. Where's the nearest KTM dealer to you? I'm be up this summer, I'll be sure to message you if you up for a ride:)?

You read that right. I'm in Whitefish. I have yet to see another RC8 since their inception. I had to drive almost to Seattle to pick this one up.

Here is my dilemma. The closest dealer to me that has sold and worked on RC8's is in Missoula, about a 220 mile round trip. Not a big deal but after calling and dealing with them, they are the worst freaking dealer I've experienced in a while.

I have a local dealer who has a trained tech but they have never seen an RC8 let alone worked on one. He did the 2 week mandatory training to become a street dealer, but they only sell dirt bikes. I'm nervous dropping off my bike only to have them "experiment" on it. :(

I'm really in a quandary. Now they have worked on 990's and I'm assuming this is fairly similar to those as far as the motor goes????

·
Registered
113 Posts
You read that right. I'm in Whitefish. I have yet to see another RC8 since their inception. I had to drive almost to Seattle to pick this one up.

Here is my dilemma. The closest dealer to me that has sold and worked on RC8's is in Missoula, about a 220 mile round trip. Not a big deal but after calling and dealing with them, they are the worst freaking dealer I've experienced in a while.

I have a local dealer who has a trained tech but they have never seen an RC8 let alone worked on one. He did the 2 week mandatory training to become a street dealer, but they only sell dirt bikes. I'm nervous dropping off my bike only to have them "experiment" on it. :(

I'm really in a quandary. Now they have worked on 990's and I'm assuming this is fairly similar to those as far as the motor goes????
Yeah, that's a head scratcher. On one hand I hate horrible service, but if the guys in Missoula have worked on RC8R's, I'd have to go with that. The 990 is an LC8 motor, just not on the same level. Is the other guy confident in his work?
Definitely not the kind of bike you wanna "experiment" on. It's like taking your Audi R8 to a VW dealer that's worked on a few A4's....
Unfortunately, even down here in Denver, I hate dealing with the service guys for KTM. But, they do know what they're doing. Plus if they screw up its covered. Tough call to make.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well I ended up taking it down to my local KTM "certified" dealer and have their tech listen to it. He claims it's perfectly normal. I don't agree but made notes on the date and time I talked with him. Should something go awry I'll have something to fall back on with KTM.

As if that weren't enough, I also have a blown right fork seal. I've had more issues with this bike in 400 miles than I have with any of my other bikes combined. :(

Any recommendations on things to improve the front forks while they have to be apart? Seeing as I have to take apart the front fairing to install the speedo healer, I'm just going to take them off myself and bring them in. It's street only so nothing drastic.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the ticking. These motors tend to be noisy. I've had a 990, currently have an RC8 and an Adventure 1190 and they all make a lot of noise. My new Adventure definitely makes a lot of noise and it's barely past break-in mileage. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and mine will blow up, but until then I'm going to ride the hell out of it. That's what warranties are for right? :punk:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the ticking. These motors tend to be noisy. I've had a 990, currently have an RC8 and an Adventure 1190 and they all make a lot of noise. My new Adventure definitely makes a lot of noise and it's barely past break-in mileage. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and mine will blow up, but until then I'm going to ride the hell out of it. That's what warranties are for right? :punk:
His noise, based on the video is pretty loud. Mine makes noise, but not that loud and its coming from the timing chain tensioner.

Also, if he did pop a shim out....the shims are hardened....hopefully its not banging around in there and settled down somewhere.

Have you decided where you want to take it yet?

·
Registered
420 Posts
If they have worked on any LC8 engine, the LC8 in the RC8R should be no issue. Engines are so similar it is ridiculous. The RC8R just has the LC8 on steroids.....structurally very very similar.

Also, if they have adjusted valve clearances on any other sport bike period...if you lost a valve shim due to valve float from an over rev.....and all they have to do is replace the shim...not a problem. It is not a very difficult job.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
His noise, based on the video is pretty loud. Mine makes noise, but not that loud and its coming from the timing chain tensioner.

Also, if he did pop a shim out....the shims are hardened....hopefully its not banging around in there and settled down somewhere.

Have you decided where you want to take it yet?
That's why I don't think it's normal. It's always been loud, but after the most recent ride; was excessively loud. There's a lot of noise coming from the tensioner as well, but that isn't what concerned me.

If they have worked on any LC8 engine, the LC8 in the RC8R should be no issue. Engines are so similar it is ridiculous. The RC8R just has the LC8 on steroids.....structurally very very similar.

Also, if they have adjusted valve clearances on any other sport bike period...if you lost a valve shim due to valve float from an over rev.....and all they have to do is replace the shim...not a problem. It is not a very difficult job.
Bike definitely hasn't been over rev'd. It's never seen over 7k as mentioned earlier.

Find another dealer.
This one is clueless.
That noise is not normal.
Well I have one dealer who is a total dill and one that according to you is clueless (which I'm not necessarily disagreeing with). I refuse to take it to a dealer with horrible customer service, regardless of their competence. So I'm pretty much limited to a dealer who is 250+ miles away from me. To be honest, I'm pretty much sick of this bike already. I don't have the schedule to allow me to take days off work to drive 500 miles to drop a bike off, and another 500 to pick it up. I should have listened to my gut and went with the 10r instead. :001_unsure:

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like this bike; but it hasn't exactly made is easy on me.

I've documented my conversation with them in the event something goes drastically wrong with the motor. They are a certified RC8 mechanic shop and if they claim it is perfectly normal.........................................

·
Registered
609 Posts
..... and if they claim it is perfectly normal................
Contact KTM North America and send them the video.
Tell them a "certified techncian" says its "normal".
Ask them, "Now what?"
KTM-North America Inc.
East
1119 Milan Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
Customer Service Phone: 440-985-3553

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ask them, "Now what?"
KTM-North America Inc.
East
1119 Milan Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
I think that's a good call. I will contact them on Monday and see what they have to say about it. Put the burden of ownership in their court.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would also make a 2nd video a bit further back-not right on top of the engine. If that noise is present from 3 feet away, it's definitely an issue.
Sometimes when you record very close to the engine, it sounds different than in person. It would help validate the issue.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I would also make a 2nd video a bit further back-not right on top of the engine. If that noise is present from 3 feet away, it's definitely an issue.
Sometimes when you record very close to the engine, it sounds different than in person. It would help validate the issue.
Agreed. I will take one with my digital camera as opposed to my cell phone. I'll also get some audio from the left side where the clutch noise won't add to it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have been having similar issues with my ktm 950 sm 2006 it started on way back from a decent ride started loosing power and pulling me back felt like I was running out of fuel, then it ran on one cylinder.
Troubles continue and now the bike doesn't even start makes a funny multi ticking noise then just cuts out all electrics basically stuck now and only had the bike 1 week ride it twice :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ask them, "Now what?"
KTM-North America Inc.
East
1119 Milan Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
I would definitely make the call to KTM. I am not sure what experience people on here have had with them but I spoke with them last week and they were super helpful. Their dealer network sucks.....a lot of people selling their bikes and know nothing about them. Dealer I bought from was a joke but they were the only ones with an RC8 on their floor.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts