KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I took out my 2001 KTM 250SX today for the second time after buying it a few weeks ago. It was running like a top, and then all of a sudden it started to bog and stalled. I could not kick it over any more. Luckily I was at the top of the hill, so I coasted it down. While coasting it down, I tried to bomb-start it several times. Each time it would start, but bog for a second or 2 and stall. It will not stay running. It's as if it's starving for fuel, yet the tank is full. Any ideas? Shortly before this happened, I ran the bike out of fuel. I wonder if running it out of fuel caused some dirt to jam up the carburetor float? I hope it's something simple, because I can't wait to go ride again!! When I get time I will check for spark in case it's an electrical system issue.

Any ideas on what the trouble might be, or methods for troubleshooting would be welcome!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
if it is the float....take the handle end of a screwdriver and simply tap on the part where the float would be. at the bottom of the carb. Try running your oil at 40-1. That is your oil mix. Check the plug.... Did you replace it when you bought the bike??? I bougth a 200 xc-w and was going to ride and the throttle would not work. The cable came loose from inside the Carb. Easy fix after doing some trouble shooting. Does fuel or is fuel coming out of the over flow when you try to start it???

·
Registered
12 Posts
it sounds like a fouled plug to me, how have you been running it? ive seen the same thing happen (the starting and then bogging till dead) to guys riding trails... did it blow alot of white smoke when you finally got it started? i would get a new plug, clean the carb if it needs it and make sure nothing is clogged from your tank to your carb before geting to worried about anything major

1 - 3 of 3 Posts