KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone can someone search up a engine if I give number please ??
8 773K07279*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don’t know if I can’t post in this topic but I’m have trouble finding out what engine my bike is can someone help please my engine number is

8 773K07279*

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Hi everyone can someone search up a engine if I give number please ??
8 773K07279*
Welcome to the forum.
Your engine was assembled in 2008.
The 773 engine is a 4 stroke that was used in the 450 bikes from 2007 - 2012.
Also in the 505cc bike from 2007 - 2009.
The engine is a double over head cam engine with 4 valves (2 in, 2 out)

I have never come across an engine with the letter K in it's number. A couple of the SXS engines (a factory engine a step up from SX engines) have SXS in their engine number. Apart from that I have never seen a letter in the motor number.

As a educated guess I would think that the "K" in the engine number could mean it is a factory engine for a KTM factory supported team. But I have no facts to support that guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will double check the engine numbers today I will pull the bike out and have another look thank you for info tho 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
Your engine was assembled in 2008.
The 773 engine is a 4 stroke that was used in the 450 bikes from 2007 - 2012.
Also in the 505cc bike from 2007 - 2009.
The engine is a double over head cam engine with 4 valves (2 in, 2 out)

I have never come across an engine with the letter K in it's number. A couple of the SXS engines (a factory engine a step up from SX engines) have SXS in their engine number. Apart from that I have never seen a letter in the motor number.

As a educated guess I would think that the "K" in the engine number could mean it is a factory engine for a KTM factory supported team. But I have no facts to support that guess.
so how will I know if it the 450 engine or 505 please ?

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
And also it’s a 4 speed box ?
I take the motor is not in a bike?
The 2008 450 XCF had 6 gears.
The 2008 450 SXF had 4 gears.
The 2008 505 XCF had 4 gears. (actually a 477.5 cc engine...)

Normally the cc's are stamped/engraved on to the cylinder.

Click through the gears to count them.

If the motor is still in the frame we can get more info from the VIN# that is on the steering neck.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
I don’t know if I can’t post in this topic but I’m have trouble finding out what engine my bike is can someone help please my engine number is

8 773K07279*
I have replied in your other post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take the motor is not in a bike?
The 2008 450 XCF had 6 gears.
The 2008 450 SXF had 4 gears.
The 2008 505 XCF had 4 gears. (actually a 477.5 ccm engine...)

Normally the ccm is stamped/engraved on to the cylinder.

Click through the gears and count them.

As the motor is still in the frame we can get more info from the VIN# that is on the steering neck.
The engine is in the bike my vin number is VBKMXN4387M324927

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
So more info for you:

Your engine is a 2008. Your frame is a 2007. But that is not that uncommon as KTM does make a bigger batch of engines at the same time and they then end up in their frames. There is no matching the frame number (VIN#) and motor number. In your case I think your bike would have been completed around the change of the year (from 2007 to 2008).

I have not found a way to decipher what cc an engine is from it's engine number. And I have also not managed to find a way to decipher what cc an engine is from it's VIN#. I did put together the info re VIN and motor numbers that you find in the category: "Bike Tips And Tricks" in thread Sticky How to read a KTM VIN# but that was now a couple of years ago. One day when I have the time I will update that post with later model details. But with heaps on my hands that I get paid for I can currently not justify spending a day or two working on KTM motor and VIN numbers sorry.

Said that, you should be able to find the motor cc's on the cylinder.

The engine is in the bike my vin number is VBKMXN4387M324927
Thanks. From the VIN# I can read that it is a MX bike. But that does not tell me if it is a 450 or 505 bike. As both had 4 gears that does not help either. So if there is no info stamped/engraved in to the cylinder re the cc's I am lost. But perhaps some others of our crew have an idea? @augiedoggie @DW @cors187 @Rangerman

·
Dirty Whizz
4,409 Posts
It's a 450. As Axzon mentioned if it's twin cam engine it should be 4 speed sxf. Engine number tells us the rest. 773 is 450, 776 is 505.

Reactions: Axzon
1 - 11 of 11 Posts