KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 690 Duke Street Tracker
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Downunder, and welcome to my Street tracker Build thread, a few weeks ago I purchased my first KTM with intent to create my own unique bike, I have an extensive custom bike and car background which will be put to good use over the next couple of months. So sit down, strap in and enjoy the ride.

Day one, picked up my bike from a private seller just south of Brisbane, Qld. Did a little art concept on a google image, and proceeded to tear the bike to pieces.
Day 3.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Week 3.
Exhaust mods and SAS delete, I do like the kicked up Leo Vance the bike came with. But my plan was to fit the muffler under the engine, cleaning up the rear end, and giving the bike a lower visual presence, Not a perfect solution, but I can live with it. I made a new SAS delete plate, cut up the solenoid and valve bodies to scavenge the 2 plugs, exposed the electrical pins and soldered on 1k .5w resisters to fool the ECU, and covered them with heat shrink.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear subframe week,
I have an aftermarket tail light off an earlier super duke stashed in my parts hoard, and creating a solo tail piece based off its shape has been in the back of my mind for a couple years now, First step is to make the sub frame.

took half a day messing about on a friends pipe roller, stuffing it up and fixing my mistakes, the seat position will now be a few inches back further, and a little lower. All part of the plan to suit the longer gas tank

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Duke came with a Powerparts factory seat, so the plan will be to remove the cover and foam to re shape and fit to the New seat pan. But before that the biggest job needs tackling, the gas tank. After purchasing 3 Fleabay gas tanks, and a late 70s kwaka tank that was rooted with rust, I went back to the nicest New Chinese jap tank, which will need to be gutted completely. Widened, New tunnel, relocated gas cap, recessed fuel sender unit, fuel pump installed. Let the pain begin.

The tunnel will require a lot of beating to contour into empty spaces on the frame, adding every little bit of fuel space I can get, as well as clearance for the radiator bottle and it’s cap.
This has been more of a challenge than I had hoped for, but that’s what learning is all about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very nice. Can you give a little more details about the SAS delete? I'd like to do it to my duke but I don't really see any kits around.

Also, some guys in my area did a Duke 690 and it came out pretty nice.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Very nice. Can you give a little more details about the SAS delete? I'd like to do it to my duke but I don't really see any kits around.
Hi, sure thing, Nice bike btw . fleabay has some dongles and delete parts, and I have seen kits for sale, my friend just got one for his new husky 701. , searching online ktm forum I found a discussion about the resistor ( 1000 ohm, .5 watt ) required to build your own dongle, I have not yet tested mine to confirm they work, but the issue was getting a correct plug to use, the solenoid and valve mounted just front right of the air box can be remove, then I carefully cut through diagonally with a thin grinder blade, this exposed the internal part of the cast in electrical pins, i soldered the resistor across the 2 connections, covered with silicon, and then large heat shrink, there is a multitude of vent hoses to remove, plug your home made dongles back in. Remove the SAS manifold from the head and trace its outline on 4mm alloy plate, drill cut and file accordingly, paint with high temp paint. (Screwdriver tip indicates where the wires are within the cast plastic)

this kit seems to be correct for my model year 690....Evap delete

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Reactions: Coopster

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, sure thing, Nice bike btw . fleabay has some dongles and delete parts, and I have seen kits for sale, my friend just got one for his new husky 701. , searching online ktm forum I found a discussion about the resistor ( 1000 ohm, .5 watt ) required to build your own dongle, I have not yet tested mine to confirm they work, but the issue was getting a correct plug to use, the solenoid and valve mounted just front right of the air box can be remove, then I carefully cut through diagonally with a thin grinder blade, this exposed the internal part of the cast in electrical pins, i soldered the resistor across the 2 connections, covered with silicon, and then large heat shrink, there is a multitude of vent hoses to remove, plug your home made dongles back in. Remove the SAS manifold from the head and trace its outline on 4mm alloy plate, drill cut and file accordingly, paint with high temp paint. (Screwdriver tip indicates where the wires are within the cast plastic) View attachment 101959

this kit seems to be correct for my model year 690....Evap delete
Thanks. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update... have split the gas tank in half, removed the vintage filler hole, bead rolled the new centre panel to widen the tank up front, and tacked into place, looking ok so far, still plenty of opportunity to frag it up. And the fuel sender unit is doing my head in, contemplating if I should pull it apart and try to invert the internal resistance board so I can mount it from underneath, having the o-ring constantly subjected to fuel has me concerned about longevity and possible fuel leaks 🥺

Update.... checked the resistance ohms on the factory fuel float, 10-170 ohm. Almost identical to a standard fuel sender for VDO gauges , looks like I’m going to test that out as a better option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts