KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 690 Duke Street Tracker
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My Sunday mission.... have been searching online for an alternative rear brake pad to get away From the MX claw, there really is only 3 options, the billet MX with spikes, a large flat adventure one, and a harder to find billet 2 pce one that was the nicest, but I remembered I had an old Harley lever in a box, and I could tailor its size to give me just a little more pad area, so armed with a band saw, grinder and drill I came up with this simple retro style pad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Today’s effort .... machine some mild steel plate for the front fender mount, cutout with 1mm cutting disc, heat bend some steel tube with offset plates and clamps on the bench, make mounting tabs, weld together and spend a couple of hours tweaking it for a good fit. Bada bing bada boom.

have to squeeze the legs in a little to get past the fork tubes when fitting, no biggie
there is a brace plate made from a similar fender thicker off cut that is TIGed underneath and welded to the back of the machined plates to create a laminate for improved strength.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Today’s update, decided the yellow cob led ring and its crappy projector lens was not what I wanted and after a very long search I finally found a pair of 2” halogen fog lights with a dome lens, I wanted to protect the light from stone damage and stretched some stainless drilled sheet with my ball hammer. Even with the mash on it still throws out a nice beam. And I like it’s weirdness .

after looking at the bug eye for a week I decided to make a new grill which I like better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Today my new billet short levers arrived from China, and for $45 AUS I was expecting the wrong item figment or plastic toy copies, who knows with Chinese sellers, But I was pleasantly surprised how good they were, they did require a strip and lube with anti seize (normal service procedure) and just a little bit of a tighten on assembly, Small details… Brake pivot pin was a perfect fit, clutch pin was a fraction loose, but lube on its brass sleeve removed that. Also the clutch lever adaptor mount is a little long by 1/4” 6mm. So it is longer overall compared to the brake, I moved the clutch perch inboard on the bars to even it out.

Billet shorty levers available in black or orange friendly seller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been thinking about shorty levers for a while. I've got some expensive ones (forget which) on my VFR and I miss them on the Duke, but I haven't missed them enough to pay the money. I'll give those a try. I assume "savage-knight" on US ebay is the same seller as "savage-au1"...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been thinking about shorty levers for a while. I've got some expensive ones (forget which) on my VFR and I miss them on the Duke, but I haven't missed them enough to pay the money. I'll give those a try. I assume "savage-knight" on US ebay is the same seller as "savage-au1"...
I just checked his USA user name and looks like the same logo and products.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It’s Sunday here Downunder and time to Foam and shape up the new seat. Will be using a slim slice of the original seat foam, shaved to fit the flat seat pan. Adding some packing at the rear and front, the factory seat was a little flat and firm, I added a little more padding on the front half down the middle, and a layer of 10mm soft foam over the whole thing, then a skin of 3mm closed cell to smooth the whole thing out, the cover trim will have padded pleats for that 80s vibe, this will and a little more comfort. I hope.
99C5CC83-C3A6-4AE5-A6BF-91EF5185C064.jpeg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
well this week I decided to have a crack at trimming my seat, usually the job I farm out to a pro. Searched for days for some vinyl like the powerparts seat, stingray skin vinyl. An impression leather version is called Shagreen. No luck, so I grabbed some random stuff, and started with doing a 2” pleated panel and when done it was just not right, so next day I tore it off and went shopping for a upholstery material instead, this time I made 1” pleats. And changed the base foam shape a little to improve the cover fit, Not perfect but I am happy to live with this version.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts